PDA

View Full Version : Car seems to be running rough...

xdutrax
12-04-2010, 01:52 AM
I have noticed my car has been running rougher lately, and was wondering what are some signs that I need a tranny and coolant flush? I have read that if your car is idling, the car will not blow hot air because the coolant needs to be flushed. I'm not sure about any signs that you need a tranny flush though.

My car is nearing the 120k mark and I know I have to get the tranny flushed, is it a good time to do the coolant as well? If so, how much for both?

My mazda is also an 06 and I read that having an intake can pull on the MAF wires, making them loose and cause the car to run rough... is this true? If so, symptoms?

I also have a CEL, so that could show why it's acting up.... now just to find someone to read it for free. haha.

Sorry if these have been asked already, I couldn't seem to find anything tonight... maybe I'm tired.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

aris
12-04-2010, 08:46 AM
If you at 120,000 km you need to change your spark plugs, as for tranny fluid if it's Realy dark then yes get it flushed

Also a fuel injection cleaner wouldn't hurt either

Thrizzl3
12-04-2010, 09:12 AM
is it only at idle? double check the engine mounts for any leakage.

xdutrax
12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
is it only at idle? double check the engine mounts for any leakage.

Hey dude, I think the mounts are good from what I can see. The idle isn't rough, pretty steady at 750rpm. It used to dip down to 500 and almost stall but I cleaned my throttle body. Now that I think of it... I don't think I cleaned it enough because when I accelerate and i get up to around 3,000rpm and let off... the needle will dip down to 1,250 and jump back up to 2,000.

McGuyver_3
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey dude, I think the mounts are good from what I can see. The idle isn't rough, pretty steady at 750rpm. It used to dip down to 500 and almost stall but I cleaned my throttle body. Now that I think of it... I don't think I cleaned it enough because when I accelerate and i get up to around 3,000rpm and let off... the needle will dip down to 1,250 and jump back up to 2,000.

how did you clean the throttle body? did you take it off the car or leave it on the car?

xdutrax
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM
how did you clean the throttle body? did you take it off the car or leave it on the car?

I removed it, cleaned both sides as best as I could. I did not get all of it near the valve (the piece that flaps – correct me if im wrong). lol

McGuyver_3
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I do not know how smart the ecu is on these cars but depending on the car when you disconect the throttle body sometimes they tend to lose their memory. Then within about 50-100km they relearn their positions. I am trying to remember because my coworker did this on his 06. I just dont remember if it reacted somewhat funny afterwards.

xdutrax
12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I do not know how smart the ecu is on these cars but depending on the car when you disconect the throttle body sometimes they tend to lose their memory. Then within about 50-100km they relearn their positions. I am trying to remember because my coworker did this on his 06. I just dont remember if it reacted somewhat funny afterwards.

Hmm, good to know. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I'm just being extremely critical of my Mz3, and whatever I am experiencing is normal...

tweak_s
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Probably a dumb question..but did you disconnect the battery after cleaning the battery?

Saw it on a few forums and experienced it myself, had to disconnect the battery or the car while feeling very smooth and responsive, would DIP the second i let go of the gas.

xdutrax
12-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Probably a dumb question..but did you disconnect the battery after cleaning the battery?

Saw it on a few forums and experienced it myself, had to disconnect the battery or the car while feeling very smooth and responsive, would DIP the second i let go of the gas.

Do you mean after cleaning the throttle body?

I never did disconnect it, what difference does it make?

Chester_Lampwick
12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Dude, if you have a CEL, then you need to start there. Really, OBD2 code readers are cheap. You should probably buy one if you don't have a friend that has one. I'm not sure, but you may be able to get this performed for free from PartSource.

xdutrax
12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I called the Partsource in Oshawa and he told me no one around this area does it... seemed a little too sure about it so I called Whitby and they check them for free.

I'm going to go tonight, maybe tomorrow to get it read.

McGuyver_3
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Dude, if you have a CEL, then you need to start there. Really, OBD2 code readers are cheap. You should probably buy one if you don't have a friend that has one. I'm not sure, but you may be able to get this performed for free from PartSource.

agreed

as for OP, Seeing how you live in Oshawa I would assume that their are some members in your area that may be able to help you out if they have a code reader. Disconecting your battery will make the cel go away if it is not what is called a hard fault. Hard faults are faults that are currently present and will not distinguish until you correct the problem.
Come to think of it, from my previous experience with my 05 I used to get Intake air temp sensor faults which did make my car have irratic rpm ranges at times. If i remember correctly the code was p0113. A simple trip to the scrap yard and picking up a wiring harness for the maff sensor solved all my issues. You will not be able to see the wiring break because the outside wiring cover will look just fine it is an internal break. Protoge 5, MPV's and mazda 3's all share the same maf harnesses
Spark plugs can also play a role in this situation since you are close to 120k. I know they are supposed to be good to about 160k but i have seen some strange things with plugs with alot less of a mileage.

TheMAN
12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
the Protege 5 does NOT use the same MAF and therefore the connectors are different... the 1.6l Protege however uses the same MAF and wiring

xdutrax
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
agreed
A simple trip to the scrap yard and picking up a wiring harness for the maff sensor solved all my issues. You will not be able to see the wiring break because the outside wiring cover will look just fine it is an internal break.

Yeah, would seem like this may be the cause and about a month after I installed my SRI I started to get the CEL's. I've had the CEL for a while now and it only comes on now and then. I read somewhere that the wires on the MAF are too short on 06's and when you install a CAI or SRI, it stresses the wires and causes the wire to break inside the housing.

I will go to partsource tomorrow to get the code read, didn't make it in time this afternoon.

I could even get a buddy to sit in the car while I tinker with the MAF wires and see if that results in the CEL turning on / off.

McGuyver_3
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM
the Protege 5 does NOT use the same MAF and therefore the connectors are different... the 1.6l Protege however uses the same MAF and wiring

My mistake thanks for the correction

xdutrax
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM
So it appears that my CEL is gone... and has been since yesterday at 1pm. Soooo... I cannot get it checked when it's not on. lol.