PDA

View Full Version : Additional gauge opinions..

S.F.W.
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Shortly, I will be receiving a vent pod that will hold 2*52mm gauges. I have already decided one spot will be filled with an upgraded boost gauge.
The second spot is the question. I'm going back and forth between oil pressure and wideband.
I had been leaning towards the oil pressure, but am now leaning towards the wideband.

Thoughts? Suggestions ?

SpelingChampian
04-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I vote oil pressure!

IMO it's more important then A/F.

SomeGuy
04-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Why not one of those aeroforce scan gauges?

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Oil Pressure. The most important of all the gauges/readings...

Tokay444
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Dual gauge for one pocket oil pressure/oil temp

Noisy Crow
04-10-2011, 10:14 PM
What would you use the wideband for? They are very useful for tuning, but once you have the tune set its usefulness drops right off, unless you use it to maximize fuel economy. On the other hand, an oil pressure gauge tells you vital information all the time.........

Kevin@nextmod
04-10-2011, 10:21 PM
^^ what he said. Wide band is pretty much useless. Unless you plan on tuning your car on the streets.

rzapata
04-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Just wondering, where can I get these stuff installed and how much one would normally cost for the gauges + pods + installation/labour? And is it necessary if the car is NOT YET heavily modified?

S.F.W.
04-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Just wondering, where can I get these stuff installed and how much one would normally cost for the gauges + pods + installation/labour? And is it necessary if the car is NOT YET heavily modified?
Get them installed at shops like Street Performance or Adavance Power House. Cost - depends if you want quality functional gauges or ones that look good but are often not accurate. In my case pod - ~$100, Gauges - ~$250 each, labour - not sure, likely $150-$200 .
My car is not heavily modded yet, but I look at this in that as I modify the car, I want more information than the stock gauges provide.
Keep in mind, I drive a speed, which has a turbo, and am looking at tuning the car.
In your case, unless you are putting in a turbo or supercharger, they are not likely necessary.

rzapata
04-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Get them installed at shops like Street Performance or Adavance Power House. Cost - depends if you want quality functional gauges or ones that look good but are often not accurate. In my case pod - ~$100, Gauges - ~$250 each, labour - not sure, likely $150-$200 .
My car is not heavily modded yet, but I look at this in that as I modify the car, I want more information than the stock gauges provide.
Keep in mind, I drive a speed, which has a turbo, and am looking at tuning the car.
In your case, unless you are putting in a turbo or supercharger, they are not likely necessary.

I see.. Pretty hefty price.. I guess I'll wait 'till I get enough upgrades before I even think about the gauges... :)

Kevin@nextmod
04-10-2011, 11:42 PM
You can always go with a less expensive brand like the autometer which is really reputable. Autometer has been out in the market for a long time now and have been getting good reviews. Just try to stay away from the STRI or stuff like that. There are big names with small prices in the market.

rzapata
04-10-2011, 11:55 PM
You can always go with a less expensive brand like the autometer which is really reputable. Autometer has been out in the market for a long time now and have been getting good reviews. Just try to stay away from the STRI or stuff like that. There are big names with small prices in the market.

Sounds good... Well, it'll be a while 'till I even think about getting these because right now, I really do not have any use for them other than making the car look good.. :)

Thanks for all the input!

starscream
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
I would get oil pressure.

The only thing you might want to look up is the pressure senders. For some odd reason (both on my Speed Protege and MS3) I find that after about a year or so the sender starts to go wonky then eventually not work. This was on 2 different gauge manufacturers. I dunno if its because of the location of where the oil pressure sender is installed (oil filter spacer/spin-on adaptor) or something else but I find that a constant issue. I just finished buying another oil pressure sender, cheap like 20 bucks but a hassle none the less.

I would do that (oil pressure gauge) and then get yourself a DashDAQ. I konw the dashhawks dont work with the 2010+ MS3 and as of right now 75% of the PIDs work with the DashDAQ on the 2010+ MS3 but they are still developing and as far as I know theres a few beta testers ready for them when they get to development. Its nice to be able to log a bunch of things, have a few gauges up on the screen at a time and honestly it looks ballin. Its why I am selling the dashhawk, because I picked up a DashDAQ. We can even plug mine into your car to see which PIDs it does get (I know that Knock (KNOCKR) is not sensed as of yet)

Since oil pressure AFAIK isnt monitored by the ECU (i think only an idiot light to say 0 pressure) its good to have a gauge for that, and everything else do digital ie. DashDAQ.

http://www.laleetsgarage.com/pics/photos/MS3/OBDmonitoringstuff/OBDMonitor_0006.jpg

http://www.laleetsgarage.com/pics/photos/MS3/OBDmonitoringstuff/OBDMonitor_0007.jpg

http://www.laleetsgarage.com/pics/photos/MS3/OBDmonitoringstuff/OBDMonitor_0008.jpg

http://www.laleetsgarage.com/pics/photos/MS3/OBDmonitoringstuff/OBDMonitor_0009.jpg

Tokay444
04-11-2011, 05:48 AM
^this right hur.