PDA

View Full Version : Q: Slow Starts.....

-|CHECKMATE2012|-
05-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Went to a used car dealership today to look at a 2007 Mazda 3 GS with 90,000 K on it, and requested the keys to listen to the engine. I noticed when the car was starting up, it sounded like metal was rubbing against each other but I wasn't sure so I re-started the car 2 or 3 more times until the car didn't start again. Was a cold start - so then the salesmen comes over and try's and the car starts.....he said I wasn't holding the key long enough and that the start-up is normal. He also reminded me that the car was on the lot for a week or two so it won't be the same start or first drive as any other car.

Question is when you start your Mazda 3 with the hood open, do you guys hear a sort of clanking or rubbing metal sound and if you restart your car 3 - 4 times do you guys have to hold the key longer?

Oh I should add, once he restarted it after the cold start, the engine revved....

RTEnthusiast
05-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Never, and my car sits in the garage for days on end sometimes.

Fuman
05-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I do not ever hear clunking/clanking or any sort of rubbing metal noises.
I do hear a little bit of piston-slap when the car is very cold.

MajesticBlueNTO
05-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Went to a used car dealership today to look at a 2007 Mazda 3 GS with 90,000 K on it, and requested the keys to listen to the engine. I noticed when the car was starting up, it sounded like metal was rubbing against each other but I wasn't sure so I re-started the car 2 or 3 more times until the car didn't start again. Was a cold start - so then the salesmen comes over and try's and the car starts.....he said I wasn't holding the key long enough and that the start-up is normal. He also reminded me that the car was on the lot for a week or two so it won't be the same start or first drive as any other car.

Question is when you start your Mazda 3 with the hood open, do you guys hear a sort of clanking or rubbing metal sound and if you restart your car 3 - 4 times do you guys have to hold the key longer?

Oh I should add, once he restarted it after the cold start, the engine revved....

if it was an automatic transmission mazda3, the starter in the automatic has a metallic type sound that sounds like "zziiing" or 2 swords rubbing together or metal rubbing against each other after the car starts.

the manual mazda3's don't have this sound.

starting the car 3 times in a row after the car has been sitting would have drained the battery ....a start takes a lot of amps and, if you don't let the alternator charge the battery after starting, the battery has less and less each subsequent time, making the starts harder.

-|CHECKMATE2012|-
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
if it was an automatic transmission mazda3, the starter in the automatic has a metallic type sound that sounds like "zziiing" or 2 swords rubbing together or metal rubbing against each other after the car starts.

the manual mazda3's don't have this sound.

starting the car 3 times in a row after the car has been sitting would have drained the battery ....a start takes a lot of amps and, if you don't let the alternator charge the battery after starting, the battery has less and less each subsequent time, making the starts harder.

Best description by far, that's exactly what it sounded like. So this isn't a car technical problem its all normal?

SomeGuy
05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Yup, in an auto perfectly normal...the sword sound that is.

-|CHECKMATE2012|-
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Okay, thanks.

RTEnthusiast
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Y'all shoulda bought manuals :P

Booter22
05-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Y'all shoulda bought manuals :P

.. lol i would be surprised to see if mazda states " be aware, when starting your automatic mazda 3 you wilol hear a slight zing noise like two swords rubbing together.. please pay no attention to this"

lol wouldnt that be a sight to see :P

-|CHECKMATE2012|-
05-06-2011, 05:27 PM
LOL, so Booter you herd it too then?

RTEnthusiast
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
LOL, so Booter you herd it too then?

Booter has a real car :P

Booter22
05-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Booter has a real car :P

HA HA! i have heard this noise yes, you can also hear it slightly in the 2010 mazda 6 4cy mroe then the 6cyl as well.

sudz
05-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I heard a squeak of metal on metal ONCE at about 30K. worried me, never happened again. Probably just belt slippage.