PDA

View Full Version : 2007 MS6 Stg 2+ & beyond - Custom Tuning by Fobio

Fobio
06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I've always wanted to tune a MS6. Due to the 4wd nature of the car, it produces higher loads and presents a different challenge than the MS3. Surprisingly, I'd say it responds just as well, if not better to some massaging and tweaking. This owner doesn't track and wants more mid-range vs top-end power for a daily driver. No problem, as it is currently, the turbo is blowing hot air at the top end anyway. Once the TMIC goes in, it'll be more fun.

Stock MS6 w/ Cobb intake & CP-e downpipe and fuel pump, targeting 18psi.

Here's the log from the base map that I cleaned up. Sorted out CL/OL transition for a clean slate to tune with. This map is way too rich, and still a bit of WOT knock,

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CzoDdBIHJME/TebiWEFfjiI/AAAAAAAAEJM/apGP2FY7eB4/s1024/v-base-log.jpg

And here's where we're at currently. It's got appropriate and safe AFR's, a bit more fuel pressure, targets and makes 18psi boost and tapering smoothly, and much less knock. The knock from the previous is likely a manifestation of the limitation of the stock TMIC.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qZ2bgIqhzYg/TeblEF7FW0I/AAAAAAAAEJY/hZp4Zd5IcR8/s1024/v-003-log.jpg

Here are some tables comparing the differences. Keep in mind this is still a relatively stock car, with plans for bigger things. There's not much to do for boost or timing really. Plans are a TMIC in 2 weeks, along with meth and OCC. Hopefully, the owner will get an EBCS as well...lol...

Blue = Current
Red = Old

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KQ-39oCyZHg/TebqqvykGaI/AAAAAAAAEJc/-bg3Ey0n6RM/v-003-boost.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OeiKzFrSa2M/Tebqq3WZZNI/AAAAAAAAEJg/hMM0MruM5Ks/v-003-load.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vb1QQNjCl-A/TebqrEJzPFI/AAAAAAAAEJk/Ywm68zmMkCo/v-003-maf.jpg

I'll continue to smooth out boost and see if we can raise the higher end/trq without heating the TMIC too much. For now, the owner will have to be content with just more area under the hp curve.

Mazda3X2
06-02-2011, 06:40 AM
That looks great. Did you get a chance to drive the car before and after, or have you gotten feedback from the owner once he drove it again?

fywdyl
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Awesome Fobio! So what does it take to get a Fobio tune???? :)

fini
06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
^^^
If I had the resources up front, I'd totally be knocking on your door.

Fobio
06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
That looks great. Did you get a chance to drive the car before and after, or have you gotten feedback from the owner once he drove it again?

I will likely drive it soon and report back

Awesome Fobio! So what does it take to get a Fobio tune???? :)

A well maintained car, a committment to logging, an openmind and willingness to follow advise. Pricing really depends on the car and state of mods. The philosophy is always "safe, smooth and powerful" and always in that order.

^^^
If I had the resources up front, I'd totally be knocking on your door.

Thank you! And with my prcing, you get to keep your "arm and a leg"...lol...

MPS
06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
^^^you just have to give up the midle finger lol

Fobio
06-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I know for a fact you'll never give up your middle finger for anything...how'd you start and hold a conversation otherwise...lol...

MPS
06-02-2011, 02:05 PM
this is true :chuckle

I know for a fact you'll never give up your middle finger for anything...how'd you start and hold a conversation otherwise...lol...

fini
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Thank you! And with my prcing, you get to keep your "arm and a leg"...lol...

hahaha... even though there are "standard" tunes available for the A3, it would definitely be fun to try and tweek them.
My car is a blank slate right now too. STOCK! lol

starscream
06-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Looking good on the tuning.

Glad to see the platform maturing in all aspects.

Snotrocket
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
What map was the owner running previous to your tune? why so rich?

Also in your map your AFR's are still dipping into the 10's... could u lean things out a bit in that range for a bit more power or is it better to run that rich?

Fobio
06-03-2011, 12:49 AM
What map was the owner running previous to your tune? why so rich?

Also in your map your AFR's are still dipping into the 10's... could u lean things out a bit in that range for a bit more power or is it better to run that rich?

It was an Stg 2+ OTS map.

I still dipped into the 10's to keep things safe. I can get to run leaner...and hotter with likely diminishing gains. This car will eventually go on the dyno to tune timing for higher end power. That'll be when everything else is buttoned down.

Meth is going in soon...so the tuning will continue.

Snotrocket
06-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Very good, nice work. What's a good meth kit worth? Any recommended manufacturer?

Fobio
06-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Very good, nice work. What's a good meth kit worth? Any recommended manufacturer?

owner went with this kit:

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

Stage 2 Boost Cooler™

This kit uses manifold boost pressure to determine when and how much fluid to inject. Proportionally injecting according to boost pressure gives the most accurate delivery of water-methanol and allows the most cooling and performance improvement over the widest range. More power and driveability is the result. It can be used on any forced induction engine: carbureted, fuel injected, turbocharged, positive displacement or centrifugal blowers. The most suitable are the centrifugal supercharged and turbocharged engines, as they build boost is a more progressive manner concerning water-methanol injection. The positive displacement blower engines will work, but it might take more work to dial in the delivery. For higher boost applications (over 25psi), the controller can be upgraded to our VC100 unit. Now with Lifetime Warranty - please see details.

Kit includes:

• UHO (Ultra High Output) Pump
• 3 Quart Reservoir
• Digital Variable Controller
• 2 Nozzles To Cover a Wide Range of Horsepower
• All Required Hardware Needed For Installation
• Comprehensive Instructions

Don't forget about these great optional upgrades!
Boost Juice
49% methanol, 51% water, and shipped to your door ready to use!

Nitro Booster
A special blend of nitro-methane and other ingredients to increase the power of your gasoline application!

--- Upgradable to stage3 kit, as mentioned above.

Big Dad
06-03-2011, 08:22 AM

I am using this Aem kit.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-methanol-injection-kits-23/water-methanol-systems-for-gasoline-engines-51/

Fobio
06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I've driven the car several times since the original post and the car pulls as smooth as butter. This is just a bit different than the MS3 since it's a bit heavier of a car. With meth, we may be able to up load a bit without any concerns for heat. Ultimately, some sort of intercooler upgrade will make temps even more manageable. As of now, night time driving and boosting yields lower BAT's than ambient/IAT's...might be a little too meth happy tho!...lol...we'll see...

Boost curve has been shifted slight to the right for the better, and MAF has been re-calibrated...after I pulled about 12 logs in 2 runs off the car myself. Hopefully to get this dialed in in the next day or two and we'll have logs to share.

Jeff-TheBiz
06-11-2011, 03:12 PM

BURN!!!

:pofl