PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ILR Track School - July 30, 2011

Donutz
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Please ask any questions about your car or the event in this thread.

If you are looking for information about the event, or would like to add your name to the list of attendee's, please do so on this thread: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?54629-ILR-Track-School-July-30-2011&p=788063#post788063

Iceman_F1
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm going for service before this event (about 2 weeks before). Would it be right to assume that if I follow this checklist I should be ok?

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?25312-Track-Prep-Thread&p=642908&viewfull=1#post642908

Also, should I be worried about getting better brake fluid or is stock good for not pushing the car TOO hard?

breakfasteatre
06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
get the FORD dot3 brake fluid from artsource/canadian tire. From what i was told by majestic and fobio, you cant go wrong for 8 bucks a bottle

Donutz
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm going for service before this event (about 2 weeks before). Would it be right to assume that if I follow this checklist I should be ok?

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?25312-Track-Prep-Thread&p=642908&viewfull=1#post642908

Also, should I be worried about getting better brake fluid or is stock good for not pushing the car TOO hard?

I didn't look at the link, but here is what I would recommend for track school:

1. Fresh fluids: oil, transmission, brake (or change them immediately after the event if they aren't too old)
2. Tighten: subframes, motor mounts, and suspension components
3. Inspect for leaks: engine, brake system, transmission, LCA bushings, passenger side MM.
4. Inspect bushings

This is sufficient for track school. If you are lapping more often or racing I would make some additional suggestions.

You won't be hitting very high speeds at track school and you likely won't be pushing your car too hard. During lapping at the end of the day, you can go as hard as you are comfortable with, or conditions allow.

Iceman_F1
06-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I didn't look at the link, but here is what I would recommend for track school:

1. Fresh fluids: oil, transmission, brake (or change them immediately after the event if they aren't too old)
2. Tighten: subframes, motor mounts, and suspension components
3. Inspect for leaks: engine, brake system, transmission, LCA bushings, passenger side MM.
4. Inspect bushings

This is sufficient for track school. If you are lapping more often or racing I would make some additional suggestions.

You won't be hitting very high speeds at track school and you likely won't be pushing your car too hard. During lapping at the end of the day, you can go as hard as you are comfortable with, or conditions allow.

Pretty close to what the checklist showed. Good to know.

Donutz
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm lazy

Iceman_F1
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm lazy

Fair enough. As long as I get a general idea on stuff to look at that's all that really matters.

-cj-
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
get the FORD dot3 brake fluid from artsource/canadian tire. From what i was told by majestic and fobio, you cant go wrong for 8 bucks a bottle

Not sure if we're talking about the same Ford fluid, but it's actually DOT4

breakfasteatre
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
yeah i think you are talking about the hard to find stuff in the tin you get at the ford dealership. I am talking about the prestone dot3 brake fluid that says FORD on the bottle

-cj-
06-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I bought some of the hard to find stuff at the Ford dealership by Sherway... Queensway east of 427.

It wasn't in a tin, but it's the same part number and rating. They had a ton of it...

breakfasteatre
06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
how much was it?

-cj-
07-01-2011, 02:13 AM
List price is like $13.50... The dude working the parts counter seemed like a real winner. He was giving the previous customer attitude and of course, gave me attitude. I told him I was looking for "Ford Super Blue Brake Fluid" and that the last Ford dealership told me they had a ton of it. He of course stops me right there and goes on a rant about how he hates how the dealers never give the customers the parts number and he's expected to look for it... (I'm thinking, isn't that his job? Isn't that what the previous dealer had to do?).. Anyways, he focuses on the "blue" and tells me there's no such thing. I tell him "I dunno, it's called super blue.." and he goes off on a rant and starts talking to another guy in the back loud enough for me to hear, "Have you ever heard of blue brake fluid?" ... yada yada.

He comes back with a plastic bottle that says Ford Super Brake Fluid DOT4 and he opens it and pops the seal (!!) to show me "Look, see, it isn't blue like I said." at which point I point out I didn't know if it was ACTUALLY supposed to be blue, or if the title simply said blue...

Anyways, because he was being a jerk I said "How much for a sealed one? You've started introducing moisture now that you opened it... I'm not changing my fluids right away."

So he sold me a bunch at just over $10, taxes in. ;) I'm actually doing my brakes in a week, so I took the open bottle. ;)

I researched online and the super is the same thing as the super blue. One of the differences is that Ford stopped selling them in tin cans now (which sucks), but the tin ones are still possible to find AND the fluid is blue. I believe there was some sort of problem certifying it because it didn't pass the color standard (because it was blue I guess). But apparently "Super" is the same as "Super blue".

Sorry about the rant... I hate people that hate their jobs and take it out on the customer... Get a difference job if it's that bad... Or suck it up.

breakfasteatre
07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
wonder if its the same as the ate super blue fluid. Makes changing fluid a little easier if you go from the light yellow to the blue.

btw thanks for the info. I got the EXACT same bullshit attitude when i got the ford mtf, i made it really easy for him (i think). look up the cobra, check out what mtf fluid it uses, bring a bottle up for me

Fobio
07-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Members-only pricing now posted.

Check the linky:

*ILR* - July 30/2011 - Inaugural TM3 Track School/Lapping Day/BBQ (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?55171-*ILR*-July-30-2011-Inaugural-TM3-Track-School-Lapping-Day-BBQ)