PDA

View Full Version : New Mazda 3 s Sport 2011

taxinjazz
07-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I just bought my first Mazda 3. Got the s Sport which I had not planned on but all they had in the Gunnmetal Blue. I am a former VW Jetta 1998 owner and miss it. I decided to change because they are expensive to fix, insure, and hard to work on. Hope the Mazda is better. Not sure I will be able to get the 12 years I had the Jetta out of the Mazda but will try. I have one concern. I have the 17 inch low profile wheels. Does anyone know how this car with these wheels and all weather tires will handle in the snow? I live in Michigan and we can get a lot of snow.

Rikki_P
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Spend the money and get some proper winter tires. I have a pair of x-ice and it was a night and day difference.Without them the car would have been useless most days. I spend a lot of time up North, and deal with a lot of really bad roads and constant snow.

taxinjazz
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info. This is the same info I have read doing reserch on the low profile tires. Would new wheels be necessary or could I just buy the snow tires? It's good to know that with the snow tires the car will handle well. Though my husband says most people just drive with the all weather tires year round and there fine but I don't what to get stuck or worst.

greaves82
07-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I dont trust all season ties thats why i got a good set of winter tires and the car handles really well. You can just get tires and change them on to your stock rims. I went and got winter rims as well just because of the ease in changing from my winter tires to my summer tires

dhsu36
07-31-2011, 11:26 AM
i have the same car 2011 gs sport
it's so much easier to work with compare to my sister's VW beetle

taxinjazz
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
That's good to hear knowing I made the right decision switching. I wanted another car with some flair. Something that fit my personality and with Mazda you get that. Zoom Zoom

Elusivellama
08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't swap tires in and out of the rims, you will cause excessive wear to the tires and the rims. It's just better to pay for steel wheels and mount the winters on those. I personally use Hankook W409s... damn good tires, a bit soft so don't go too fast on the highway (not that you would during winter anyway).

Webs
08-06-2011, 11:10 PM
All-weather tires are great for places where it doesn't snow.

I have steelies with winter tires.

Flunk
08-08-2011, 11:07 PM
The Mazda 3 is a fairly light front-wheel drive car. I wouldn't drive one without snow tires in the winter in a cold climate (Michigan is pretty much the same as here in Toronto), with my snow tires on 16inch steel rims I haven't had any problems with grip the last 2 winters. My car would be equivalent to a US 2010 Mazda 3 i Sport if they made one.

Just remember that rims smaller than 16" won't clear your brakes.