PDA

View Full Version : Coilover VS Shocks+Springs upgrade?

gar_lei
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Hello guys,

I'm planning to upgrade my suspensions next summer
I'm debating between Tein SS Coilover or Koni Yellow+ProKit setup

Please let me know the pros and cons of both setup and perhaps some personnal experience would be good.

I do not track the car, it's my DD and I really want to keep stock-like comfort.

Thanks in advance!

Hyperion
10-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Well, as I've recently bought coilovers myself it came down to money actually.
Koni's = 600.
Prokits = 200
Install = 100
So 900.
None adjustable ride height and stiffness.

My BC BR Coilovers I bought were used at $800. A freakin steal actually. These are about $1100-$1200 new from one of our in house sponsors.
These have adjustable ride height and stiffness.
So for 200 more, you get alot more bang for your buck.

Con: Due to the amazing amount of salt Toronto/GTA puts down (even though they are getting minimally better), coilovers are susceptible to rust and all the good stuff that comes with a metal + salt relationship.
Just make sure that you get coilovers that allow dampening, and it should have no effect on your day to day comfortableness, with the possibility of dropping the car.

gar_lei
10-29-2011, 09:30 PM
i had BC Coilover in my old car.
it's best bang for buck but the quality of the product is soso...

gar_lei
10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
So with Koni Yellow I won't be able to adjust damper???

Dave_The_BMXER
10-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Yes you can with yellows, what issues did you have with the BCs?

gar_lei
10-29-2011, 11:30 PM
the material was cheap, the top mount's bolts stripped without forcing it.

gar_lei
10-29-2011, 11:33 PM
in my case the concern is not really price wise.
I'm more concern about keep stock level of comfort but still able to lowered a lil (within an inch).
And have better cornering.

peterm15
10-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Edited as not relevant noe
Didn't see your post first.

Is there not other ways to get better cornering? Sway bay ect?

gar_lei
10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes bars can help for cornering, but I also want to have it lowered a lil too

aZuMi
10-30-2011, 09:32 AM
in my case the concern is not really price wise.
I'm more concern about keep stock level of comfort but still able to lowered a lil (within an inch).
And have better cornering.

How about the KW's? They're much better built than BCs, but the only problem is they might be lower than what you're looking for.
On the other hand, prokits + koni's is a pretty unbeatable combination. Adjustable stiffness, perfect height IMO (1-1.2") and you won't have to worry about it during winter.

Dave_The_BMXER
10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
the material was cheap, the top mount's bolts stripped without forcing it.

That is odd.

Get Road Magnets.

gar_lei
10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Is Koni yellow height adjustable?

loki
10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Is Koni yellow height adjustable?

no. you can adjust stiffness only.

I'd say go with koni's and pro-kits.

gar_lei
10-31-2011, 09:36 AM
oh thanks!

horto
10-31-2011, 10:11 AM
I had planned on running Koni Yellows with Cobb springs. Good luck finding Koni Yellows (ms3 part #'s) in Canada. You WILL have to source them from the states. They are impossible to get here.

Now, if you do find them here in Canada... let me know where and how much. And how long it actually took to get them!

gar_lei
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
it's all good, i work in a shop and we're reseller of Koni

loki
10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
it's all good, i work in a shop and we're reseller of Koni

so this means you have access to Koni yellows for the mazdaspeed3?

Because alot of people are looking for these right now.

Edit: even if it means taking a road trip to Montreal to collect them.

rzapata
10-31-2011, 01:57 PM
so this means you have access to Koni yellows for the mazdaspeed3?

Because alot of people are looking for these right now.

Edit: even if it means taking a road trip to Montreal to collect them.

+1 to that. I might be looking into these as well in the future. :) :)

gar_lei
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
i can order from my supplier.
3 weeks delay and it'll be here.

loki
10-31-2011, 03:09 PM
i can order from my supplier.
3 weeks delay and it'll be here.

can you post or PM me the price for front and rear koni yellows for the 2008 speed3.

I'm telling you they'll be alot of interest for these.

gar_lei
10-31-2011, 03:49 PM
I won't be able to get u cheaper then MSRP

loki
10-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I won't be able to get u cheaper then MSRP

which is?

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2008&mak_id=25&mod_id=535&submit.x=44&submit.y=6

that link shows US $705 for both front and rear

Kiyomi
10-31-2011, 11:08 PM
this thread is awesome. was looking into this very question.

gar_lei
10-31-2011, 11:18 PM
which is?

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2008&mak_id=25&mod_id=535&submit.x=44&submit.y=6

that link shows US $705 for both front and rear
that's the Koni online sale price not the MSRP
I PMed u the price

Impressive
11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
this thread is awesome. was looking into this very question.

+1. I'm at 177,000km waiting for my stock suspension to go so I can do a koni yellow + tien s-tech combo for slammage!

shu5892001
11-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Just get koni yellows and road magnet springs, I have them and I love them. I swapped the prokits for RM cuz prokit is too soft

gar_lei
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
i'm still thinking
I dun want anything stiffer then stock MS3's...

gar_lei
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Just got Swift springs installed. They're really awesome. Mild lowering, similar to stock comfort, very great performance.

mazdaspeedemon3
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Just got Swift springs installed. They're really awesome. Mild lowering, similar to stock comfort, very great performance.

still on stock shocks? i wanna drop mine but cant spend a G right now on doin it...

Mr Wilson
04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
It's somewhat of a gamble and seems to depend on how low you go. The lower, the faster the shocks will go, mild drop and they hold out for a while. Gen II's might be better overall.

mazdaspeedemon3
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
It's somewhat of a gamble and seems to depend on how low you go. The lower, the faster the shocks will go, mild drop and they hold out for a while. Gen II's might be better overall.

hmm yea i think ill wait it out, that way i can either sell the stock set-up or keep them as a spare..how are the swift springs gar_lei? what drop would you say you got with them?

gar_lei
04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm on stock shocks, but its in my plan to upgrade the shock next summer to Bilstein.

gar_lei
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I'll take a pic a bit later to shoe u guys.
Its a lil lower then I thought but totally acceptable. Its a mild drop.

mazdaspeedemon3
04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I'll take a pic a bit later to shoe u guys.
Its a lil lower then I thought but totally acceptable. Its a mild drop.

good stuff, thanks man... enjoy :)

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
For what it's worth, I just installed Koni Yellows and MS3 Prokits at Jimmy's last week. I was expecting an improvement in handling dynamics, but I was absolutely shocked as to the actual difference. The car is completely planted now and without any of the rear strut rebound (jitter/bounce) you get at high speed if you hit a bumpy bit of asphalt/track.

The drop is a little lower than advertised for the MS3 Prokits, but overall, this is a great suspension package for the MS3 and the stifness is adjustable. I'm at about 60% which I believe is 1 or 1.5 turns on the Koni's. This is perfect for a street set-up, but is stiffer in ride than stock.

As for coilover's, I have never understood why people go for that option if they are looking for a performance upgrade. They're great for shows and stance, but IMO a good set of struts and springs will outperform coil-overs.

Edit: Note that the front Koni's are asily adjustable after the fact, but the rears are not. So best to set-up from start what you want in stiffness terms.

Turok
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
For what it's worth, I just installed Koni Yellows and MS3 Prokits at Jimmy's last week. I was expecting an improvement in handling dynamics, but I was absolutely shocked as to the actual difference. The car is completely planted now and without any of the rear strut rebound (jitter/bounce) you get at high speed if you hit a bumpy bit of asphalt/track.

The drop is a little lower than advertised for the MS3 Prokits, but overall, this is a great suspension package for the MS3 and the stifness is adjustable. I'm at about 60% which I believe is 1 or 1.5 turns on the Koni's. This is perfect for a street set-up, but is stiffer in ride than stock.

Do you know what % the koni yellows are set to out of the box? I'm about to get mine installed tomorrow. Also did you turning it to the right or left? :)

Hyperion
04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Do you know what % the koni yellows are set to out of the box? I'm about to get mine installed tomorrow. Also did you turning it to the right or left? :)

Did it come come with instructions?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

chris.joh
04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
They are set to the softest setting, the dial that comes with the front you turn according to the arrow….the rear you need to use a vise I have the same set up as Zoom Zoom Boy can't be any happier with them.

Turok
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Did it come come with instructions?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

I didn't see any in the one box I opened. I'll check the other tomorrow morning before I get them installed.

Turok
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
They are set to the softest setting, the dial that comes with the front you turn according to the arrow….the rear you need to use a vise I have the same set up as Zoom Zoom Boy can't be any happier with them.

Awesome, I'll set mine up tonight then. I definitely don't want them on the softest setting.

gar_lei
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d8da1db4-8ff1-2fc9.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d8da1db4-8fff-a5d0.jpg

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Chris.Joh got it right. I'm pretty sure they are set to the softest settings out of the box. I can't answer your question on the turning as Jimmy installed mine. Put there is a little white plastic turning tool with arrows on it (that I can't find at the moment...) that you use. Should have come with your Koni's.

Turok
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Chris.Joh got it right. I'm pretty sure they are set to the softest settings out of the box. I can't answer your question on the turning as Jimmy installed mine. Put there is a little white plastic turning tool with arrows on it (that I can't find at the moment...) that you use. Should have come with your Koni's.

Yup I got the tool in the box, I'm about to go adjust mine now.

gar_lei
06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Looking to upgrade the Shocks and Struts sometime soon.

Thinking abt Koni Yellow or Bilstein.

Anyone mate any of them with Swift Springs?

S.F.W.
06-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I will be running bilstein B8 with swift springs once the Gb that has my springs is complete

gar_lei
06-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Nice, please do let me know how to like it.

loki
06-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm running koni sports and swift springs

gar_lei
06-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm running koni sports and swift springs

Koni Yellow? How is it as a DD and ocational track visit?

standsideways
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Koni Yellow? How is it as a DD and ocational track visit?

if you hit the track alot youll want the ability to run more camber than a strut/spring combo will allow, and you cannot get a corner balance with a strut/spring combo.

plus they dont come with camber plates, fail X3 for track guys

gar_lei
06-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Well I'm looking to go a few times a year (4-5).

And I have swift springs right now.

Just thinking if I should upgrade shocks or sell the springs and get Coilover.

standsideways
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Well I'm looking to go a few times a year (4-5).

And I have swift springs right now.

Just thinking if I should upgrade shocks or sell the springs and get Coilover.

heres my .02

if you arent serious about the track, you wont care if you dont have coilovers. the strut spring combo is practical, comfortable, and slightly cheaper/sometimes easier to replace.

if you are, or could become more serious about it, youll wish you had coilovers.

however... some coilovers (ie. KW and H and R) do not come with camber adjustment in the front nor are they lower mount adjustable, so i would not go with those 2 over a strut spring combo.

add that to the fact that we dont really have a great all around option for our car, and it really becomes personal choice.

CelestSpeed3
06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I have to disagree with you.

I would buy coilovers more for then shock valving then ride height or camber adjustment.

The KW and H&R are very good, but they aren't meant to be slammed to the floor. Your roll center would be underneath the road at that piont and the car will not be able to transfer the weight properly in corners. But yes, it does look nice when you drive by scraping ashphalt.

standsideways
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I have to disagree with you.

I would buy coilovers more for then shock valving then ride height or camber adjustment.

The KW and H&R are very good, but they aren't meant to be slammed to the floor. Your roll center would be underneath the road at that piont and the car will not be able to transfer the weight properly in corners. But yes, it does look nice when you drive by scraping ashphalt.

kw and h and r are less track friendly out of the box i should have said.

proper alignment makes you faster than your spring rates and valving will.

loki
06-11-2012, 08:16 PM
4-5 days at the track leaves 360 days on the regular road every single year that you own the car.

you building a track car or a road car that goes to the track 4-5 times a year?

gar_lei
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
4-5 days at the track leaves 360 days on the regular road every single year that you own the car.

you building a track car or a road car that goes to the track 4-5 times a year?

Agree with you.

I definitely would lean more toward DD drivability rather then hardcore track car. So I guess shocks would be a better route for my purpose.

Now just need to find the right one

loki
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
The koni yellows with swift springs on my car are fine. The koni yellows with the pro-kits I had before were fine.

Ami is running bilstein shocks which I am sure are fine also.

Just pick one and go with it and I'm sure you will be happy.

CelestSpeed3
06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
kw and h and r are less track friendly out of the box i should have said.

proper alignment makes you faster than your spring rates and valving will.

+1

gar_lei
06-16-2012, 04:53 PM
The koni yellows with swift springs on my car are fine. The koni yellows with the pro-kits I had before were fine.

Ami is running bilstein shocks which I am sure are fine also.

Just pick one and go with it and I'm sure you will be happy.

Icic, I'll check Koni out and see~
Thanks!

mikey32235
07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
is anyone selling 08 lowering springs? ms3

standsideways
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
is anyone selling 08 lowering springs? ms3

You know theres a classified section?

DaveIrwin24
07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as well, been on H&R springs on stock shocks for almost a year and a half and the ride is slowly getting worse.
I don't feel like spending $1000 plus, not sure if I want to settle with Raceland or Megan coilovers, read some mixed reviews.
Koni yellows run about $700,while the Megan coils are $800.. Just wondering if it's worth the extra $100 for the coils?
Car is a dd, took it to the track last year, most likely will never again

Fack_Dude
07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm in the same boat as well, been on H&R springs on stock shocks for almost a year and a half and the ride is slowly getting worse.
I don't feel like spending $1000 plus, not sure if I want to settle with Raceland or Megan coilovers, read some mixed reviews.
Koni yellows run about $700,while the Megan coils are $800.. Just wondering if it's worth the extra $100 for the coils?

Megan's are shit bro. Take loki's advise and grab the Konis.

Mr Wilson
07-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Please don't cheap out.

DaveIrwin24
07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah I've pretty much made my mind up on the konis, nothing but positive feedback all around on them

loki
07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah I've pretty much made my mind up on the konis, nothing but positive feedback all around on them

you made up your mind in 58 minutes? cool

DaveIrwin24
07-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Well I was undecided, was planning to buy konis for a little while then pondered the thought of coilovers but konis are best bang for buck can't deny it.

murdaspeed
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, HR springs with stock struts. Except i'm going with either HR or KW coilovers. I wont even consider anything else.

DaveIrwin24
07-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Right on man, just couldn't justify paying over a grand cause I don't wanna be any lower.. Purchased Koni yellows yesterday

Falzone11
09-23-2014, 08:31 PM
what is a good coilover set to buy for a 2008 ms3

S.F.W.
09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
what is a good coilover set to buy for a 2008 ms3
KwV2