PDA

View Full Version : interior winter mode

07carbon3
11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
this is my first winter with our car what do you guys do to winter mode your interior from salt stains etc?, mainly it would be the carpets.
i know about about weathertech mats but i don't have extra cash to spend on them as i just had to buy new winter tires and a krown spray.

i thought about getting some plastic sheets and figure out a way to mount it covering the floor up to help preserve the carpet from salt stains.

aris
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
To be honest you will need the weather tech floor liners to protect you're carpet from salt stains... These cars got a weird shape to the floor...

Jackal
11-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I was going to say that too Aris but wanted someone else to break the news.
You'll end up with more salt in the car which could lead to more rust or potentially expensive detailing costs. You could always get larger floor mats but this could be dangerous if they interfere with the pedals.

Fuyuzora
11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Agree re: Weathertech liners. They're pricey, but if you want to protect the interior (with style!) they're worth every penny.

Strongjag
11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I bought some of the Mazda winter mats from another user. If I hadnt found those on the cheap woulda got weathertechs.

sube
11-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I have covered the floors in every car I have owned with plastic, and I have never had salt stains, or wet carpets. It's a lot of work to do properly. I take the seats out of the car in order to properly cover the floor. But for me the effort is worth it.

I bought Weatertech front and back when I got the 2010 Gt sport, and I still cover the floor in plastic, there are still some areas that the weathertechs don't cover.

Pat.

capricorn77
11-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I just picked up the weathertechs this weekend. I'd highly recommend them as I can see how they will protect your interior. They fit perfectly like a glove.

Flunk
11-20-2011, 12:11 AM
I've had the Weathertech liners in my car for the last two winters, they keep the floors mostly clean so all my car needs at the end of the season is a quick vacuum. Definitely worth the $100.00 I paid.

There are not many options that will fit this car, the floor is a really unusual shape so generic mats would need a serious trim to fit.

Trini2DeBone
11-20-2011, 07:37 AM
In addition to whatever floormats (regular ones or weathertech) that you may have, I recommend to get some towels that match the color of your interior and place under the floormats to help as a double protection and to cover the areas the floormats dont protect. In my case for a black leather interior, I bought a set of small black towels for the fronts and larger ones for the back. And I have the weathertech all seasons.

Double protection for peace of mind and easy cleaning when spring come around ;) That's my :.02

Trini2DeBone
11-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Correction.... I bought a set of large black towels for the fronts and smaller ones for the back

07carbon3
11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
In addition to whatever floormats (regular ones or weathertech) that you may have, I recommend to get some towels that match the color of your interior and place under the floormats to help as a double protection and to cover the areas the floormats dont protect. In my case for a black leather interior, I bought a set of small black towels for the fronts and larger ones for the back. And I have the weathertech all seasons.

Double protection for peace of mind and easy cleaning when spring come around ;) That's my :.02

that sounds like a good idea to me..thanks

rukus
11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
first vacuum out the car. then do a good cleaning on the traffic areas. then coat in teflon spray (like scotchguard), do a couple layers of it. then get weathertechs.

the tef spray helps prevent crud from embedding in the carpet.

PCLoadLetter
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting plastic under your floor mats, especially on the drivers side. It can lead to a not-so-safe situation.

sube
11-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting plastic under your floor mats, especially on the drivers side. It can lead to a not-so-safe situation.

I have been putting plastic over the carpets in my cars in winter for the last 20 years and never had an unsafe situation. There are clips after all that keep mats from moving on top of the plastic.Plus if you use the weathertech they are so well fitted they don't move around.They have mounting holes to accomodate the carpet clips as well.

I can see if you do not take care to secure the mats on top of the carpet then you would have the mats slipping around, if you use common sense then there should be no problem.

Pat.

$lickology
05-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Weathertech floor mats there just the best.

JPJPJP
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Weathertech floor mats there just the best.

Good job reviving a thread that's almost 2 years old :P.. lol

$lickology
05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Just 20 more posts to go:headbang, your welcome.

alanj
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
where to get those? dealer?

$lickology
06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Got mine from partsource.

Lactose
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
where to get those? dealer?

Check the sponsors / sponsored mazda dealers. I'm pretty sure one of them carry the mats (or can get them ordered).

You can check kijiji or the classifieds as well.

Dynames
06-04-2013, 12:37 AM
G16 had them with the weathertech branding on them I believe. Or you can get them from Mazda with the Mazda3 branding which is what I have,

hex
06-11-2013, 07:26 PM
G16 had them with the weathertech branding on them I believe. Or you can get them from Mazda with the Mazda3 branding which is what I have,

but did they charge a premium just because they were mazda branded?