PDA

View Full Version : NSFW Signature & Avatar

SKYMP3
12-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I usually surf on the forums while I'm in office since I struck in front of my computer for 8 hrs Mon-Fri, but there is more and more users putting NSFW avatar and Signature on their post. I'll eventually get screwed by these things when my screen is monitored or when a manager walked by from behind. Not like I'm staring at those pictures, but is hard to avoid it when I'm reading a post and the post below or above has such things on it.

When I see NFSW threads, I just don't get in there, but those signature and avatar is not avoidable unless I stop coming here.

Anyway I can disable those things?

Fayvir
12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Use chrome or firefox and download the plugin/add-in called 'Decreased Productivity' :)
Once you turn it on, it removed all formatting and hides all pictures, unless you hover your cursor over it then it shows a faint display of it.

n00bMeiSter
12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Most people aren't able to install things on their work PC's these days. Usually someone from the IT department has to do that.

SKYMP3
12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Most people aren't able to install things on their work PC's these days. Usually someone from the IT department has to do that.

+1

SKYMP3
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Or better off, limit members to post NFSW sigs and Avatars on their profile?
This is a car site after all. I don't need to see @ss or boobs shaking all the time. :P

S.F.W.
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
General rule is as long as there is no actual nudity, it's ok. That said, if a particular signature or few sigs are a problem for you, pm myself or another mod, and we can address.

Fuyuzora
12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
> Forum Actions (below the top banner)
> General Settings
> Thread Display Options
- Uncheck signatures and avatars

That's the quickest and easiest way to toggle visibility if you're unable to install browser plugins at work.

Try installing Adblock Plus though - if you can successfully install it, then you could block individual users' avatars instead of toggling everyones'. Also means you can set up adblock filters for whatever sites tend to rankle your IT Nazis, such as facebook and twitter; I have those blocked via ABP at work since they trigger WebSense filtering, among other things.

Mind you, I managed to sweet-talk my way into admin rights at work, but it's worth a shot.

DumpInfo
12-11-2011, 02:00 PM
^ Good point!

Aitch
12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I've had sigs/avatars off for years, because I don't like the chances of people at work seeing lots of cars.

Sent from my phone using 1s, 0s, and radio waves.

SKYMP3
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
> General Settings
> Thread Display Options

That's the quickest and easiest way to toggle visibility if you're unable to install browser plugins at work.

Done. Thanks. I remember forum has a function like that, just didnt able to find it.

My co's IT dept is at India, all request to IT will cc to my manager. ;)

SKYMP3
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I've had sigs/avatars off for years, because I don't like the chances of people at work seeing lots of cars.

Sent from my phone using 1s, 0s, and radio waves.

Cars aren't that bad compare to girls will bra and panties.
But agree that now surfing is much cleaner (unchecked sig and avatar.)

schmat66
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
its all jonjon... lmao jk!

Fuyuzora
12-11-2011, 04:08 PM
its all jonjon... lmao jk!

No need to add the "jk" - we all know it's true. :chuckle

Cab0oze
12-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Wrong. Get portable apps (i.e. firefox portable). You can 'install' it anywhere, and it is 100000000000000000000000000x better than IE6 that most big companies still use >.>
http://portableapps.com/

Fuyuzora
12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Wrong. Get portable apps (i.e. firefox portable). You can 'install' it anywhere, and it is 100000000000000000000000000x better than IE6 that most big companies still use >.>

Hadn't thought of this as a suggestion, but it's a great point.

Makes a lot of sense to keep Firefox, Programmer's Notepad, Winamp & some mp3s, and a pile of other "portable" programs on a USB key which you can carry to work with you (and home again at the end of the day).

peterm15
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Hadn't thought of this as a suggestion, but it's a great point.

Makes a lot of sense to keep Firefox, Programmer's Notepad, Winamp & some mp3s, and a pile of other "portable" programs on a USB key which you can carry to work with you (and home again at the end of the day).

I used to do that to access banned sites ( torrents) at school and use their crazy dl speeds. As well as a portable client.

chinsterr
12-11-2011, 08:11 PM

+1 so true!

Portable apps All Day

cwp_sedan
12-11-2011, 10:20 PM
^ speaking of NSFW signatures lol

n00bMeiSter
12-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Wrong.
USB ports are the second thing that gets blocked. I've not worked for a single company that has ever left the USB ports open. That's just asking to have a pissed off employee steal company secrets or client lists, etc.
So, how are you going to run U3 if you can't use the USB ports?
If you want to burn it to CD and hope the optical drives will work then go nuts. (Those get disabled a lot too)

If you've got a cloud server to upload to then great, provided you can access it from your work pc.

thanu31
12-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Wrong.
USB ports are the second thing that gets blocked. I've not worked for a single company that has ever left the USB ports open. That's just asking to have a pissed off employee steal company secrets or client lists, etc.
If you want to burn it to CD and hope the optical drives will work then go nuts. (Those get disabled a lot too)

If you've got a cloud server to upload to then great, provided you can access it from your work pc.

Weird, rarely hear of usb and cds being blocked.
Companies I worked for, i had USB accessible computers, so do all of my friends, even at companies like Bell.

cwp_sedan
12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Weird, rarely hear of usb and cds being blocked.
Companies I worked for, i had USB accessible computers, so do all of my friends, even at companies like Bell.

+1

Unless you are working for a company manufacturing nuclear bombs or something lol, I don't know who would restrict USB access, etc...

coteya
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Well at my job its prohibited too..

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

cwp_sedan
12-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Well at my job its prohibited too..

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

Government job?

I can understand it may apply for some jobs but not all. Most just have firewall restrictions. Either way, there are options to protect yourself at work which have been mentioned above.

Fuyuzora
12-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Government job?
I can understand it may apply for some jobs but not all. Most just have firewall restrictions. Either way, there are options to protect yourself at work which have been mentioned above.

I've never heard of anyone in any governmental department having USB or CD access removed, and living in Ottawa I know A LOT of people in the civil service, representing A LOT of departments. Heck, I'm a part-time civil servant myself, while I finish grad school.

Like cwp said though, I can totally see it being restricted for certain sensitive positions.

EDIT: Oh hey coteya, didn't notice it was you / didn't realize you were registered over at TM3 too. :)

Cab0oze
12-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Wrong.

They cant block you from putting files on the computer can they? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the computer at all... Just download the file to your HD and run it... simple as that. They cant block you from running it or else you wouldn't be able to open things like notepad or internet explorer lol

Aitch
12-12-2011, 06:47 AM
On many computers the user isn't granted administrator rights, so you can't actually install programs regardless of how you get them on the computer. You can load files etc but not install anything new.

Dave_The_BMXER
12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I have admin rights at work :D

cwp_sedan
12-12-2011, 08:45 AM
+1 for admin rights. :)

Gotta love feeling like your computer at work is your computer. :)

Fayvir
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
+1.
I got admin rights as well :) a perk for working in IT

Mr Wilson
12-12-2011, 10:53 AM
> General Settings
> Thread Display Options

Thanks for that!

loki
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for that!

I've had the signatures off almost from day one. just clogs up my screen

Mr Wilson
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I blame jonjon.

hit26k
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I blame jonjon.

We all do. :huge smile

Cab0oze
12-12-2011, 06:26 PM
On many computers the user isn't granted administrator rights, so you can't actually install programs regardless of how you get them on the computer. You can load files etc but not install anything new.
Right, but what i'm saying is that you dont need to install portable apps. Unpack and run! Pretty much every useful common app that you could want at work is portable..