PDA

View Full Version : Prosport Boost Gauges?

Cab0oze
01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I just got my Vent Pod in the mail today, and now I'm in the market for a boost gauge that matches the 08.5 ms3 cluster. I've heard mazda guys talking about prosport in the past, so I went straight there and found what seems to be the perfect match:
http://prosportgauges.com/images/White%20needle%20Boost%20Gauge%20300x200.jpg

http://www.kimballstock.com/pix/AUT/30/AUT_30_IZ0660_01_P.JPG

However, when I tried to find the reviews I read in the past recommending them, all I found were multiple threads bashing them (i.e. reading -3psi when off, not working correctly, etc etc).

Anyone here have any experience with prosport, or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

strakz
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Sometimes you get what you pay for. Check out Defi red racer series.

BlueStreak
01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
STRI Digital Stepper Drive units are also very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polish_Eagle
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
There's a guy from the Mazda 6 community that's running a bunch of gauges from prosport and they've been problem free (he has a twin turbo v6 - username is TheGreatNy and his name is Justin).

For my previous turbo build I used AEM gauges and just love their slick styling (AFR gauge and boost gauge).

Cab0oze
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM
hmm all those suggestions seem to be over double the price of prosport. Is the quality really THAT much better?

carbon3
01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm in the same boat, I've had my vent pod for a couple months but it's hit or miss with the prosport gauges it seems, I'd put a scanguage if only it read fuel pressure...

loki
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I'll be installing a prosport boost gauge that I have lying at home and we'll see what happens. I don't see there being a problem.

Cab0oze
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Seems that the general consensus (here and i asked on m3f too) is that they should be good enough, and the premium gauges (i.e the one i was looking at) seem to be better than the regular ones. I think I'll go ahead and get one... now just to find the best price. Any suggestions?

loki
01-13-2012, 04:57 PM
not many of the sponsors carry prosport gauges, nor bring them in

cSPEED
01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Never understood why people spent $200+ on a single gauge it's ridiculous.. I don't see how mechanical gauges can give such crazy variance in readings that one gauge which is almost identical is worth 7x the price of another.

loki
01-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Never understood why people spent $200+ on a single gauge it's ridiculous.. I don't see how mechanical gauges can give such crazy variance in readings that one gauge which is almost identical is worth 7x the price of another.

you don't understand the concept that some things cost more than others?

look at watches for example

cSPEED
01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Ofcourse I understand why some things cost more than others. What I meant was - how can a mechanical reading have such a high standard deviation that people can say a whole proven brand of gauges is not accurate for our cars? I mean, the margin of error on those readings is that significant?

joedemarco
02-18-2012, 06:57 PM
So Cabooze and Loki...what is your verdict on these gauges? accurate?

2 more questions: #1: I know I should probably know this...but are the '08.5 and the '07 clusters the same? By that I mean colour wise.
#2: I was told one of the gauges makes a noise is that the electrical or mechanical? Which is better?

CelestSpeed3
02-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Mechanical gauges have more or a wider tolerance because the use springs and sealed capillary tubes for measurements. These gauges are typically calibrated at SATP (standard ambient temperature and pressure) and most/all of us don't drive in an SATP enviroment.

Electrical guages have the ability to self calibrate every single time they are powered up. When paired with a stepper motor they are capable over very accurate readings and displays. They are usually more accurate then mechanical gauges.

Some electrical gauges will make noise, typically the cheaper non-stepper motor gauges.

The price of the gauge typically depends on the probe (mechanical) or transducer (electrical) and the actual gauge (bellows for mechanical and the type of motor for electrical)

Mechanical gauges do have an advantage over electrical in that they don't need power and work 100% of the time. So if you park you car on the driveway you can come outside 20 mins later and see how much the car has cooled down without turning on the ignition.

Electrical gauges have now come into there prime with gauges like Autometer's Elite series. In my opinion these are the best gauges currently available. They feature aux control, peak recall, as well as over and under warnings. Again you get what you pay for and these gauges can really save your car by letting you know something is wrong be getting your attention. When you are gunning it at the track you aren't watching your gauges you are watching the road. Well when the gauges flashes a different colour at you, you will turn to notice it and slow down.

If you are only installing 1 gauge I would HIGHLY recommend an oil pressure gauge. This gauge will be the MOST USEFUL gauge you will ever install. You can tell when the motor has hit optimum temperature, when you need an oil change, and alert you days before something bad is going to happen. Boost gauges are cool to watch, just like AFR gauges but none will save your ass like an oil preessure gauge.

Just some food for thought.

Cab0oze
02-19-2012, 08:06 AM
So Cabooze and Loki...what is your verdict on these gauges? accurate?

2 more questions: #1: I know I should probably know this...but are the '08.5 and the '07 clusters the same? By that I mean colour wise.
#2: I was told one of the gauges makes a noise is that the electrical or mechanical? Which is better?I'll let you know after I install, I didn't buy it yet. I'm going to florida in a month so I'm going to get them shipped to me down there and bring them back (for a grand total is about $85... that is pretty cheap!)

Q1: 07 has an orange needle if i remember correctly, 08.5 has a white needle (which is why I'm specifically getting premium with white needle- they have the same gauge with orange to match an 07 cluster)
Q2: Noise? Uhh... dont think so... unless you mean startup beeps, which can be turned off. If its normal operating noise, then i dunno, I guess I'll find out soon...

CelestSpeed3
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I would still recommend autometer elite, they might be more but well worth it. Watch the youtube vid and see.

joedemarco
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
I'll let you know after I install, I didn't buy it yet. I'm going to florida in a month so I'm going to get them shipped to me down there and bring them back (for a grand total is about $85... that is pretty cheap!)

Q1: 07 has an orange needle if i remember correctly, 08.5 has a white needle (which is why I'm specifically getting premium with white needle- they have the same gauge with orange to match an 07 cluster)
Q2: Noise? Uhh... dont think so... unless you mean startup beeps, which can be turned off. If its normal operating noise, then i dunno, I guess I'll find out soon...

thats the difference!!!! which has the orange needle?

Also, One of the two gauges makes a noise when is moves...aside from startup.

I would still recommend autometer elite, they might be more but well worth it. Watch the youtube vid and see.

I know that I'm "THAT GUY" but I really like the Prosport because they do match with the cluster...and too many colour will drive me nuts...But I will absolutely look into it...I was planning on installing only one gauge...which was going to be the boost gauge...If I decided to buy a oil pressure gauge and a boost gauge...is there a third to could recommend so that I can fill up the cpe pod (If I decided to go that route!>)

loki
02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Boost, air/fuel and oil pressure

Cab0oze
02-20-2012, 06:27 AM
thats the difference!!!! which has the orange needle?

Also, One of the two gauges makes a noise when is moves...aside from startup.

I know that I'm "THAT GUY" but I really like the Prosport because they do match with the cluster...and too many colour will drive me nuts...But I will absolutely look into it...I was planning on installing only one gauge...which was going to be the boost gauge...If I decided to buy a oil pressure gauge and a boost gauge...is there a third to could recommend so that I can fill up the cpe pod (If I decided to go that route!>)
07&08 have amber, 08.5&09 have white needles

I dont think ive ever seen a pic of the white needle installed, but i'll take one for comparison when i get it. Here is the amber one on the 07:
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/07boost.jpg

CelestSpeed3
02-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I would say the 3 most useful to you would be oil pressure, exhaust gas temp, then boost.

The autometer elite gauges have 7 color progammable LED lighting, if you select red it will look just like the 07 cluster.

08's and up even mine have blue needles are you are going to be limited to what gauges will match the factory cluster. I would want a gauge that works properly before I settled on how it looks.

caquricon
02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I would say the 3 most useful to you would be oil pressure, exhaust gas temp, then boost.

Curious as to why you say exhaust gas temp instead of afr?

CelestSpeed3
02-20-2012, 10:31 AM
The speed already measures AFR so if you add another AFR gauge that doesn't get you anything. The car doesn't have an EGT gauge stock, so you will be gaining new information.

caquricon
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Makes sense, what info is gained from knowing EGT? How do you use that to know what potential issues may arise?

CelestSpeed3
02-20-2012, 10:49 AM
When you start to see temps above 1200F keep your eye on it. You are in an area where extended exposures at those temperatures will start to cause premature wear on the turbo. How much wear. . . That is the question.

caquricon
02-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks, thought that's what you'd use EGT for but didn't know the limits of the turbo temp wise.
Something to keep in mind for when I get gauges.

joedemarco
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM

The autometer elite gauges have 7 color progammable LED lighting, if you select red it will look just like the 07 cluster.

08's and up even mine have blue needles are you are going to be limited to what gauges will match the factory cluster. I would want a gauge that works properly before I settled on how it looks.

If I was going to get only the one boost gauge (as I had previously chosen) then I would have *PREFERRED it to match...but as long as the colours are close enough, Im happy. I completely agree with you were functionality comes before cosmetics...but if you can get the best of both worlds, why not?

joedemarco
02-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Boost, air/fuel and oil pressure

why do you recommend AFR but not EGT?

Please, by no means am I saying Celestspeed3 is right over you...just looking for some education.

horto
02-22-2012, 10:23 AM

+1

let the AP monitor AFR
hard to keep an eye on a blinky christmas tree AFR gauge. plus they are annoying in the cabin at night. (IMHO)

joedemarco
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
+1

let the AP monitor AFR
hard to keep an eye on a blinky christmas tree AFR gauge. plus they are annoying in the cabin at night. (IMHO)

Thanks...need to get me an AP first :( (Im guessing AP then gauges??)

loki
02-22-2012, 02:09 PM
yes....

SomeGuy
02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
The AP is a gauge too :) you can monitor boost and AFR (and dozens of other things) from it.

joedemarco
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
The AP is a gauge too :) you can monitor boost and AFR (and dozens of other things) from it.

I was slightly aware of that...but was literally just looking up what I can monitor...

since im here anyway one quick AP question...can I get EGT on it? and if so when monitoring EGT does it have to be a "live feed" like it would on a gauge or could I use the AP to monitor it on my computer?

Edit: NEVER MIND!!!! just found that it does not...wasnt sure how to find it on the COBB website, but finally got it. so no EGT and no OP

So ultimately I can get the AP and then get the vent pod with the autometer elite EGT gauge...i think things are falling into place here.

Big Eldorado
02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
AFRs and EGTs are for ppl who want to tune the **** out of their engine. The CoBB AP is for serious folk who get serious power, and im a fan although i dont have one. Check out the MS3 with over 600WHP on youtube using an AP.
I wouldnt tune at all with the AP without having some heads-up display gauges, especially oil pressure and EGT. Those get crazy and you melt your turbo n what not. Id prob put in AFR, EGT and Oil pressure, with a boost gauge by it self on the left side of the wheel (maybe vent pod, looks cool)
Prosport is cool for someone like me, not too serious. Again, if you plan on getting CRAZY then spend more $$ and get more accurate gauges.
:bana2