PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance costs?

TheAnswer_03
02-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm getting some tune ups done in March.

I've decided to provide my own fluids and most parts: synthetic ATF/motor oil/oil filter, NGK spark plugs, PEAK coolant, tensioner pulley.

How much would a dealer charge usually for:

transmission flush (I'm providing)
coolant flush (I'm providing)
install new speak plugs/tensioner pulley (I'm providing)

cabin air filter (I'm not providing)
new belts (I'm not providing)
power steering flush (I'm not providing)

Car is a 2007 Mazda 3 GT sedan.

zzz3
02-03-2012, 06:43 PM

I've decided to provide my own fluids and most parts: synthetic ATF/motor oil/oil filter, NGK spark plugs, PEAK coolant, tensioner pulley.

a lot of money. its fine to go to dealer for non intensive labour work like oil changes, but for what you listed, jimmy will have the best price and be the best person to do all that. you can get a receipt from him for warranty purposes if you're worried about that.

sol_searchin
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I would call Ivan at I-Garage great service and also very good pricing, Just roughly looking at it your looking at 500+ labour (I estimated on the low end as well).

Booter22
02-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Prices are best i remember off hand

transmission flush $90.1 + hst
coolant flush $90.1 + hst
install new speak plugs $45.05 + hst - tensioner pulley $135.15 + hst - new belts installed at same time as pulley $0 as one of the pulleys is a stretch and one time use.

power steering flush - not sure as we actually have never completed a power steering flush on its on as its not a recommended service and was only required when completing the power steering recall. is there a specific reason you want to change your fluid?

all prices include the TM3 discount.

sol_searchin
02-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Those prices look great until HST is added lol btw you forgot to add parts prices.

Booter22
02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Those prices look great until HST is added lol btw you forgot to add parts prices.

:bang lol well obviously i wasnt at work when i posted.. sooo i posted what i knowish, :chuckle

say

cabin air filter $50 for parts
new belts $24 for the stretch belt and $48 for the larger belt.

give or take.

did i forget anything else? :blush

TheAnswer_03
02-05-2012, 04:34 PM
^^ Well I bought the car used with 99,000 km on it and just wanted to replace all the old fluids out of there. I find the steering stiff at times (compared to other cars) but maybe that's just how the car was designed?

Also I presume I'm just charged for labor for the stuff I'm bringing in? And does your Dealer provide touch up paint and cost? Color is True Red (A4A).

Booter22
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
^^ Well I bought the car used with 99,000 km on it and just wanted to replace all the old fluids out of there. I find the steering stiff at times (compared to other cars) but maybe that's just how the car was designed?

Also I presume I'm just charged for labor for the stuff I'm bringing in? And does your Dealer provide touch up paint and cost? Color is True Red (A4A).

yes you would just be charged the labor for the parts you are bringing, like i said ive never done the power steering flush outside of the recall. i would think labor would be somewhere in the area of 1 hour at worst case so another $90.1 + fluid which i am not sure what it costs, and yes we have paint pens. im not sure if wed have your color in stock i will check in the morning but i belive they are around $11.05 + hst with the discount. if you want to book the services in let me know.

sol_searchin
02-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Whats your current mileage?

aris
02-06-2012, 08:23 AM

The man mention in another thread that a coolant flush is not a good idea cause they use tap water.... He said the best thing to do on our cars is to drain the coolant and fill it back up with new coolant.

Dealer sells the coolant for under $30 with tax... I jug is enough

Booter22
02-06-2012, 08:53 AM
The man mention in another thread that a coolant flush is not a good idea cause they use tap water.... He said the best thing to do on our cars is to drain the coolant and fill it back up with new coolant.

we do not use tap water or any water when performing a coolant flush. coolant and coolant only.

Hoodzy
02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Also don't forget the shop fee of 12%

Booter22
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Also don't forget the shop fee of 12%

shop fee? :S

TheAnswer_03
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Car uses 2 gallons of coolant according to my owner's manual. I bought 2 jugs of 50/50 pre-mixed Peak coolant for $21 at Canadian Tire. And yes tap water has impurities that affect the effectiveness of the coolant, distilled water is needed if you mix yourself.

I plan to have the transmission flush/coolant flush/spark plugs/tensioner pulley/oil change done at a local shop.

And have the belts/cabin air filter done at Mazda since Mazda techs should be the only ones doing that.

@Booster22, my local Mazda dealer says they don't do Coolant flush, only drain and fill.

Booter22
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Car uses 2 gallons of coolant according to my owner's manual. I bought 2 jugs of 50/50 pre-mixed Peak coolant for $21 at Canadian Tire. And yes tap water has impurities that affect the effectiveness of the coolant, distilled water is needed if you mix yourself.

I plan to have the transmission flush/coolant flush/spark plugs/tensioner pulley/oil change done at a local shop.

And have the belts/cabin air filter done at Mazda since Mazda techs should be the only ones doing that.

@Booster22, my local Mazda dealer says they don't do Coolant flush, only drain and fill.

really? only drain and fill.. seems odd, at the least i know we do the coolant flush. but if your going to have a local shop replace the tensioner pulley they will have to take the belts off any way. one is a 1 time use stretch belt and the other will have to come off. so to save yourself some $$ have the local shop install the belts with the tensioner.

TheAnswer_03
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
really? only drain and fill.. seems odd, at the least i know we do the coolant flush. but if your going to have a local shop replace the tensioner pulley they will have to take the belts off any way. one is a 1 time use stretch belt and the other will have to come off. so to save yourself some $$ have the local shop install the belts with the tensioner.

I don't think my local shop would have the Mazda belts in stock unless it uses a general belt? With the tensioner pulley, isn't it just a matter of loosening the belt tension, slide the belt off, remove old pulley, put new one on, slide the belt back on?

Booter22
02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't think my local shop would have the Mazda belts in stock unless it uses a general belt? With the tensioner pulley, isn't it just a matter of loosening the belt tension, slide the belt off, remove old pulley, put new one on, slide the belt back on?

id say pick up the belts from the dealer first just in case. i dont know if there is enough room to take the tensioner out with the belt on. from what ive seen is both belts are removed then the tensioner and then new belts installed. id at the least call the shop to ask them at the least to save you any extra cost.

TheAnswer_03
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
id say pick up the belts from the dealer first just in case. i dont know if there is enough room to take the tensioner out with the belt on. from what ive seen is both belts are removed then the tensioner and then new belts installed. id at the least call the shop to ask them at the least to save you any extra cost.

Actually, what I'll do is I'll bring the tensioner pulley to Mazda and have them replace the belts at the same time, makes more sense.

I'm from Cornwall, any Cornwall Mazda Admins here? :(

TheAnswer_03
02-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the help btw Booster22 :)

aris
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM

For a drain and fill you will only need 1 4L jug. I bought mine coolant from the dealer... It's the long life stuff for $25

Hoodzy
02-13-2012, 07:36 AM
shop fee? :S

In Alberta anyways.. dealerships charge an additional 'shop fee' of 12% of labour.

TheAnswer_03
02-18-2012, 09:55 PM
yes you would just be charged the labor for the parts you are bringing, like i said ive never done the power steering flush outside of the recall. i would think labor would be somewhere in the area of 1 hour at worst case so another $90.1 + fluid which i am not sure what it costs, and yes we have paint pens. im not sure if wed have your color in stock i will check in the morning but i belive they are around $11.05 + hst with the discount. if you want to book the services in let me know.

@Booter22

I checked the owner's manual and the 5-speed auto 2.3L takes 8.6 quarts of ATF, would 9 quarts of ATF be enough for a full transmission flush? And am I allowed to watch them do the work?

Please reply!

Booter22
02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
@Booter22

I checked the owner's manual and the 5-speed auto 2.3L takes 8.6 quarts of ATF, would 9 quarts of ATF be enough for a full transmission flush? And am I allowed to watch them do the work?

Please reply!

lol havent i always replied ? :P

i honestly have no idea id have to check with my parts managers or a tech on monday, i cant remember how much they use when they perform a flush, and it depends where your going i suppose if they will allow you to watch them. like our place and most others there is a viewing window but no most places wont let you in the shop around the tech as they work, it becomes a safety concern at that point as well some techs are uncomfortable with it.

In Alberta anyways.. dealerships charge an additional 'shop fee' of 12% of labour.

what is a "shop fee" for? thats the first ive ever heard of that

Hoodzy
02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I was told that it is to cover general supplies for labour. IE shop towels, soap, random items mechanics need.
Also told it was a common practice..

Booter22
02-19-2012, 09:29 PM
strange, thats the first ive heard of a shop charging back to the customer for shop towels and soap and such.

Hoodzy
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Yah i'll be calling around next time to see if I can escape it.. in this city at least. Such a scam. Hopefully it was just that dealership.