PDA

View Full Version : WOT ... went boom.

Addison
04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Background, GT2871, full exhaust, HPFP. JUST put on a FMIC this weekend.

Went out to pull my first log. See if you can tell where things went bad:

http://i.imgur.com/c6WXc.jpg?1

(Full image http://i.imgur.com/c6WXc.jpg?1 )

Limped off the highway, left it at my work's parking lot not far from there.

Whirling grinding sound, A/F is now ALL over the place, stalls... /sigh

Fobio
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
if you blew an engine, you won't be able to limp...was there an oil trail?

if you're making good power, maybe all you did was blew a cold pipe or coupler...

Addison
04-10-2012, 11:16 PM
No oil trail. I wouldn't call it "Good Power", no. The throttle is all over the place, even with steady pedal depression. Holding at a speed (albeit it was on 60) makes things seem sorta stable.

First thing I did was go around and look at all the couplers. Armed with my iphone light, they all look to be in place.

The sound and feeling of the 'event' was VERY much like a fuel cut (I've felt/had those) in the past. It was just louder and more forceful.

Fobio
04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
No oil trail. I wouldn't call it "Good Power", no. The throttle is all over the place, even with steady pedal depression. Holding at a speed (albeit it was on 60) makes things seem sorta stable.

First thing I did was go around and look at all the couplers. Armed with my iphone light, they all look to be in place.

The sound and feeling of the 'event' was VERY much like a fuel cut (I've felt/had those) in the past. It was just louder and more forceful.

Check near your throttle body...I'm almost certain you didn't blow. =)

Addison
04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
That may just buy me some sleep tonight....

standsideways
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
if you just installed an intercooler ide agree with fobio, you just blew a coupler/pipe off.

literally goes BOOM LOL

MPS
04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
is ur car bogging out having a hard time idling ?
if so its your piping

Addison
04-11-2012, 01:02 AM
if you just installed an intercooler ide agree with fobio, you just blew a coupler/pipe off.

literally goes BOOM LOL

Yeah- it was terrifying loud.

I'm heading to work early tomorrow to check things out.

Thanks for the help.

BlueStreak
04-11-2012, 01:28 AM
If you heard a boom sound, it could've been the hot pipe coming from the turbo popping off and hitting the underside of the hood.

Like Fobio said, you likely didn't blow. That log looks like you just blew off a coupler somewhere.

-cj-
04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
The symptoms sound like the piping popping off. I've had that happen before.

Although looking at your log, it looks like you might have over boosted as well. You're hitting 23+ psi, (Stock sensor has trouble reading past 23 psi, but based on your calculated load and g/s, it seems like you're making a lot of power at that point in time.......) Hopefully it's just the coupler though! The knock doesn't seem to severe to be a blown engine (But then again, who knows what that should look like...)

I hope it isn't anything serious!! Check the pipes by the fans and the hot pipe... Those are likely suspects.

Edit: Doesn't look like you're sustaining 23+ psi, so I would discard what I wrote, especially with Cobb's fast logging rates.

MarineMazda
04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I agree with the guys it sounds like a coupler. Yet this whirling grinding sound you speak of does it sound like a bunch of marbles in the engine? Were there any Engine codes.... Sounds like piping but Im wondering if VVT and timing chain? Thoughts guys?

breakfasteatre
04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
soooooo/????

boosted_out
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I hope you just blew a cold pipe

alhope34
04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
If you heard a boom sound, it could've been the hot pipe coming from the turbo popping off and hitting the underside of the hood.

I've had this happen multiple times until I got a new silicone coupler and got a welding shop to put a bead around the hot pipe so the clamp wouldn't slip off anymore. I'm the third owner of my cp-e fmic and because of heat, time and over tightening the hot pipe actually shrunk a bit so the clamp wouldn't hold it properly. I had to get a shop to weld a ridge around the pipe maybe about 1" from the end to strengthen it so I could tighten the clamp enough for it not to pop off and to not shrink the pipe diameter anymore.

Unoriginalusername
04-11-2012, 09:40 PM
had this happen when we installed my fmic the first day, it was fine. put those clamps on tight next time :)

MPS
04-12-2012, 01:18 AM
that's not the only thing that happend to you that day

had this happen when we installed my fmic the first day, it was fine. put those clamps on tight next time :)

Unoriginalusername
04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
that's not the only thing that happend to you that day

i don't remember something else?

midnitehour
04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
looks like piping to me as well.

heavy boost, then suddenly no boost, and a spike in maf voltage.

use a little hair spray on the piping where you clamp the coupler down. It makes it a little sticky to help the coupler hold on.

Addison
04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Indeed. Fobio even called which hose.

Right off the throttle body the pipe popped out of the connector... probably the most PITA coupler on the whole system too.
I couldn't believe how loud a hose popping off could be. Sounded like a gunshot.

This weekend going to go over it clamp by clamp before I try another pull. :P

Thanks for the help fellas.

loki
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Adam, glad your car is fine

must have given you a good scare

:thumbsup

I'm actually taking my entire intercooler piping apart tomorrow just to make sure everything is secure