PDA

View Full Version : MS3 Spin on Oil Filter conversion - Pro tips

png
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I've recently put on the spin on oil filter conversion for the ms3 and wanted to share some tips for others who are jumping on this bandwagon.

The main benefit of doing this mod is to have an easier time changing the oil filter. You'll be saving time by not having to change two o-rings and messing with a plastic housing piece everytime you change your oil. Another benefit is that you can run larger filters. So IMO, its mainly a convenience mod and is totally worth it if you're doing your own oil changes.

Technically speaking this is a straight forward mod to do, but the tight space makes it kinda difficult. This is intended to be an addition to the tutorials already out there for the ms3. You can just google them.

-To remove the oil sensor wire, use a screwdriver to push in on the tab on the side of the sensor. In my case the tab was facing up and away from me so I used a little mirror to get a better look. Get this out of the way as you dont want to cut the wire. It's also a good time to loosen the bolt holding the sensor. Just be careful with it.

-The ms3 has an oil cooler which means that you have to unbolt it to remove the stock piece. Loosen the oil cooler bolt BEFORE removing the stock housing. You wont be able to get proper torque on the bolt unless the piece is on the car. This is the HARDEST part of doing this mod. The vertical bolt is located above the filter housing and is surrounded by coolant hoses. It's a very tight space, so one way around this is to partially unbolt the 4 horizontal bolts to give yourself more room. This worked like a charm for me. An angled ratchet wrench was helpful too.

-DO NOT DISCONNECT the coolant hoses. These are the black hoses that go to the oil cooler and can stay connected for this install.

-Retighten the four bolts in a criss cross pattern so that the plate goes on evenly.

Hopefully this will save you guys some time and headache. :chuckle I got the kit from Flipdaddy at MoT.

loki
05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
how much was the kit?

need this kit for those who want to run oil pressure and oil temp. gauges.

fywdyl
05-04-2012, 11:31 PM
On SU it's $89, but I think you can get one from a Mazda dealership.

png
05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The kit was 91$ + tax from Mazda of Toronto. It came with the spin on filter housing, gasket, filter cartridge, and oil drain washer.

breakfasteatre
05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
poo a thousand, won zero

Addison
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
how much was the kit?

need this kit for those who want to run oil pressure and oil temp. gauges.

Seriously? fack.

loki
05-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Seriously? fack.

yes. you need the spin on conversion kit, which according to a few of the guys here will run you just under 100 bucks from one of the affiliate dealers, plus you need the sandwhich plate

Addison
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I've got some more reading to do.

joedemarco
07-09-2012, 09:57 PM
any reviews on this? was thinking about doing it and start doing my own oil changes...Addison, were you able to find any other info!?

cwp_sedan
07-09-2012, 10:36 PM
any reviews on this? was thinking about doing it and start doing my own oil changes...Addison, were you able to find any other info!?

What do you mean reviews? It's an OEM application so why would you need a review on it? People change to this application to make oil changes easier as well as adding the sandwich plate for additional gauges.

If either of these are what you are looking to do then that's all you need to know.

Fack_Dude
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
What do you mean reviews? It's an OEM application so why would you need a review on it? People change to this application to make oil changes easier as well as adding the sandwich plate for additional gauges.

If either of these are what you are looking to do then that's all you need to know.

Ban jdm. Lol

standsideways
07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Ban jdm. Lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/63fde721-1a86-5c65.jpg

Lol seriously tho, its a stupidly easy istall, no review needed, if you want a spin on over the cartridge, do it.

standsideways
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Fyi i payed less than $60 for mine at forbes waterloo mazda

CelestSpeed3
07-11-2012, 11:54 PM
You can pay half that and just get the service tool to change the cartridges properly as well.

Atomic
01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Do you have the part number for the spin oil kit for mazdaspeed3 gen1 ?
It will be very helpful to help my mazda dealer here ...

Thanks

TheMAN
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
all you need to know is here: http://www.protegefaq.net/mzroilcooler/

JSharrmz
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
What's all this talk about a "kit" all I did was get a prosport adapter plate (sandwich) that bolts onto where the cartridge bolts into and the spin on is spun underneath .. Whys everyone buying these expensive ass kits that essentially does the same as a 40$ -/+ prosport product, don't get it

mikey32235
02-25-2014, 12:08 PM
What's all this talk about a "kit" all I did was get a prosport adapter plate (sandwich) that bolts onto where the cartridge bolts into and the spin on is spun underneath .. Whys everyone buying these expensive ass kits that essentially does the same as a 40$ -/+ prosport product, don't get it

really? read the difference between a paper and spin on filter.

JSharrmz
02-25-2014, 12:40 PM
I know the difference , I was just confused.. I was told the adapter plate was all I needed and I now know I need the housing as well.