PDA

View Full Version : rust module

johnb10
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
hey all, so im curious if anyone has heard of the new rust modules that cars can get. when i bought my car, it came with it so im curious to know if it is anything worthwhile or should i change it out?

silverstarmazda
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
u talking about the electrical one? i heard it works, but not very well. your better off getting it rustproofed. but with out cars (gen1) even if u rust proof every month. your still going to get some rust. its just the way the car was built/material they used

trulankan
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
u talking about the electrical one? i heard it works, but not very well. your better off getting it rustproofed. but with out cars (gen1) even if u rust proof every month. your still going to get some rust. its just the way the car was built/material they used

really hope it doesnt happen to me :S i need to get it Krown'd in the fall

silverstarmazda
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
if u have a sedan, talk to them about the third brake light in the trunk. that WILL rust lol but they might be able to help

dentinger
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
basically, it sends electrons thru the car's body, that helps to prohibit rust.

honestly, as already stated, just get it rust proofed instead.

silverstarmazda
05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
lol yea, if it worked well it would of been an option from factory.

trulankan
05-09-2012, 11:23 PM
i heard its just a cash grab...if its really that effective they would offer some kind of guarantee

silverstarmazda
05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
lol theyll give u some sort of back alley guarantee the doesnt do anything. its like the gas saver module that connects ur battery terminals together...

Default User
05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
lol yea, if it worked well it would of been an option from factory.

Mitsubishi does offer it from the dealership on new cars. Backed by a 10 year/160,000km Mitsubishi bumper-to-bumper warranty protection

Does it work? Personally, I doubt it.
But here's how I saw it when I got my Lancer done.

$600 module Installed with 10 year rust protection warranty from Mitsubishi. Any rust will be covered and repaired by Mitsubishi.

$1,000 rust proofing over 10 years - no guarantee that rust won't form. No guarantee the rust will be fixed. No guarantee the shop will even be open next year.

silverstarmazda
05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
ive seen a demonstration of this and its works slightly.. i guess its one of those "every little bit helps" moments

rajin929
05-10-2012, 05:53 AM
since it already came with the car you bought - keep it, but get it rust proofed at Krown.

if you didn't have it and were considering buying one, I'd say keep your money and don't bother

zoomahh
05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
its NOT a cash grab....and I can attest to it...I had it installed with my 07 3 sedan.....NEVER had anything else done to it...I traded it in Jan 25 for my 2012 GS sky. When I handed over the keys to it? Not spec of rust anywhere, not the wheel wells. not the trunk...anywhere....A 5 year old car at the time. I drove it all year round. MInd you I washed it every chance I got and I kept it spotless. But no rust. But what the fark.....my 2 cents I guess

I also got the module with my sky as well and got 5 years of free oil changes ta boot ;) .

rajin929
05-10-2012, 08:06 AM
you're lucky

When my wife bought her 07 new at the dealership, she paid quite a bit for the module....and 5 years later starting to see rust, even the ground bolt for that module is rusted LOL

and we keep our cars as clean as possible

silverstarmazda
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
lol i wonder how much voltage is coursing through the car to keep it from rusting

johnb10
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
awesome thanks everyone! i initially heard that i was pretty good but i heard that over time it breaks down and stops working! i did plan on getting it rust proofed and krowned but i might wait a little while to see how it works

DarkKilla
05-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I had installed the rust module since new and I believe it works slightly, as the two cars I have put it on have no rust. However, I still believe in also getting the car rustproofed (Perferably Krown) every year since new. You definitely want to have the rust proofing oil done early on in the life of the car, so later on there is less moisture being trapped (Which causes rust).

Wes08M3
05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
its NOT a cash grab....and I can attest to it...I had it installed with my 07 3 sedan.....NEVER had anything else done to it...I traded it in Jan 25 for my 2012 GS sky. When I handed over the keys to it? Not spec of rust anywhere, not the wheel wells. not the trunk...anywhere....A 5 year old car at the time. I drove it all year round. MInd you I washed it every chance I got and I kept it spotless. But no rust. But what the fark.....my 2 cents I guess

I also got the module with my sky as well and got 5 years of free oil changes ta boot ;) .

It IS most definitely a cash grab. How do I know? I've worked in the parts department at a local dealership. The cost of this "rust protection" is approximately 6x more than the cost of the module and the labour to install it. It only takes about 20 minutes to install the module. There are several styles of these things but they are all quite similar.

And they really don't work very well... A member of my family has an 07 Mazda 3 GX with 225000km on it now, no rust module, NEVER EVEN RUST PROOFED and not a spec of visible rust. Really, I'm not making this up.

Toby
05-10-2012, 07:08 PM
There have been no scientific tests that have been able to show that these gizmos make any difference at all.

silverstarmazda
05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
lol put two fingers on the dash and the electricity from your body will protect your car from rust!

Flagrum_3
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
There have been no scientific tests that have been able to show that these gizmos make any difference at all.

Furthermore; there has been scientific 'laboratory' tests that prove these do Diddly-squat.!! This shit was proved useless 20 years ago, unless it's a pipe or a ship/submarine it is protecting.

Rumor has it, if you tweek it a bit, you can put a force-field around the car and protect it from stone chips and dents too! :chuckle

_3