PDA

View Full Version : CEL P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected

Turok
05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
So I went to the U.S today and 10mins ago drove up to shoppers drug mart. When I gave the car some gas it felt all sluggish and no power at all then the CEL came on and flashed, then went solid. I pulled into the parking lot plugged in my AP and checked the code and it was a P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

I was thinking it could be my spark plugs, they are long overdue to be changed. Then I did some searching online and some people say it's the coils and I read a thread on here and it sounds like it could be just the plugs.

Any advice would help, I'm going to get some new plugs tomorrow and get them installed.

I'm assuming it's not safe to drive the car at this point.

Argh this sucks.

Edit: Also there was another code IC 02064 when I was checking the code, but there was no description, google comes up empty.

Fobio
05-18-2012, 08:08 PM
So I went to the U.S today and 10mins ago drove up to shoppers drug mart. When I gave the car some gas it felt all sluggish and no power at all then the CEL came on and flashed, then went solid. I pulled into the parking lot plugged in my AP and checked the code and it was a P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected.

I was thinking it could be my spark plugs, they are long overdue to be changed. Then I did some searching online and some people say it's the coils and I read a thread on here and it sounds like it could be just the plugs.

Any advice would help, I'm going to get some new plugs tomorrow and get them installed.

I'm assuming it's not safe to drive the car at this point.

Argh this sucks.

Edit: Also there was another code IC 02064 when I was checking the code, but there was no description, google comes up empty.

don't worry about the other code.

how old are the plugs?

Turok
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Over 1 1/2 yrs old probably. Like I said long over due.. maybe even 2yrs old.

cwp_sedan
05-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Where are you? Niagara or another border?

I'm in Niagara visiting family if you need anything.

Fobio
05-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Over 1 1/2 yrs old probably. Like I said long over due.. maybe even 2yrs old.

if you have plugs, then try swapping. I'm home all night, if you wanna swing by to grab a set...and yuou other parts. =)

Turok
05-18-2012, 08:16 PM
if you have plugs, then try swapping. I'm home all night, if you wanna swing by to grab a set...and yuou other parts. =)

Vince will you be around tomorrow? I can't make it over right now, maybe late late tonight. What kind do you have? If I don't make it tonight, tomorrow I can spin by tomorrow no problem and grab my other stuff and plugs.

Is the car safe to drive?

Where are you? Niagara or another border?

I'm in Niagara visiting family if you need anything.

I'm back home in Woodbridge now, thanks thought :)

cwp_sedan
05-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Alright cool just thought I would ask. Hope you fix the issue quickly.

Turok
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Alright cool just thought I would ask. Hope you fix the issue quickly.

Thanks buddy me too.

Fobio
05-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Vince will you be around tomorrow? I can't make it over right now, maybe late late tonight. What kind do you have? If I don't make it tonight, tomorrow I can spin by tomorrow no problem and grab my other stuff and plugs.

Is the car safe to drive?

I'm not around tmr.

And I can't say whether the car is safe to drive. But you obviously drove it home after the light came on. In the meantime, pull the plug(s), compare, take pics, post them and let everyone see. And of course, check on MSF.

Turok
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not around tmr.

And I can't say whether the car is safe to drive. But you obviously drove it home after the light came on. In the meantime, pull the plug(s), compare, take pics, post them and let everyone see. And of course, check on MSF.

Ok I'll be leaving shortly, I'll see you in a bit. Text me about the plugs. I'm leaving my car home and taking the gf's.

loki
05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Flashing cell means danger to the cat due to running extremely rich

I think same thing happened to me

Car ran so rich that the spark could not ignite. Led to a misfire

Was due to problems with my maf calibration. Did you recently do a maf calibration or make any changes?

Turok
05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Flashing cell means danger to the cat due to running extremely rich

I think same thing happened to me

Car ran so rich that the spark could not ignite. Led to a misfire

Was due to problems with my maf calibration. Did you recently do a maf calibration or make any changes?

I haven't done any MAF calibrations, the only change I did was replace the air filter on my SRI. Other than that nothing has changed.

Turok
05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Vince for hooking me up with a set tonight. I'll be swapping them out tomorrow and posting pics of my old plugs.

BlueStreak
05-18-2012, 11:47 PM
The plugs are probably toast. Swap in a new set and let it rip.

If it happens again after the swap, let us know. I have a laundry list of suggestions to diagnose your issue.

Also, when we were at Alex's house and you started your car to leave, I noticed the car was missing (misfiring) on the cold start. At the time, I was busy with mikes car so I didn't poke my head out to say something. Then you were gone...

Turok
05-19-2012, 12:00 AM
The plugs are probably toast. Swap in a new set and let it rip.

If it happens again after the swap, let us know. I have a laundry list of suggestions to diagnose your issue.

Also, when we were at Alex's house and you started your car to leave, I noticed the car was missing (misfiring) on the cold start. At the time, I was busy with mikes car so I didn't poke my head out to say something. Then you were gone...

Thanks Dave, I'll let you guys know if I get any misfires after I swap the plugs. I'm hoping that's the issue.

Really? I'm glad you noticed it, because I sure as hell didn't. I must be deaf or I have no idea what to listen for.

krimsalt
05-19-2012, 07:01 PM
If the problem still persists then it may be the spark coils ontop of the plugs, one of them could be weak. Hopefully the problem goes away

Turok
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
So I pulled all the spark plug caps and there is liquid in the spark area on the cylinder closest to the passenger side. There is also a white residue over the cap. http://img.tapatalk.com/b897be8c-62dd-7bde.jpg

I haven't pulled this plug due to the liquid, doesn't smell like gas.

Fack_Dude
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Pull the plugs and check them. You should do a compression test too.

Turok
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
The liquid ended up being water, I'm assuming it got in somehow when I got my engine shampoo done last Saturday. There was water in only one of the spark plugs. I'll post pictures shortly.

Test driving the car so far so good.

BlueStreak
05-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Ahhhh. That could do it.

The engine bay was rinsed with a garden hose, I presume? Was the direct stream pointed at the engine bay at any time?

Turok
05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Ahhhh. That could do it.

The engine bay was rinsed with a garden hose, I presume? Was the direct stream pointed at the engine bay at any time?

Yup with a garden hose, well he hosed off the soap etc.. so yes I would say there was a direct stream. He didn't cover the TMIC, just the SRI. And he tried to avoid the IC as much as possible.

Update: So after my test drive no problems that I could see, but I think I should get a compression test done.

Fobio
05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Yup with a garden hose, well he hosed off the soap etc.. so yes I would say there was a direct stream. He didn't cover the TMIC, just the SRI. And he tried to avoid the IC as much as possible.

Update: So after my test drive no problems that I could see, but I think I should get a compression test done.

Adam...did you use the new plugs? How did the old ones look?

Mr Wilson
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
New plugs went in, Adam does have pics of the old plugs.

Turok
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Yup new ones are in, posting pictures tomorrow morning of my old plugs.

krimsalt
05-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Well at least nothing exploded

Turok
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.devastator.ca/images/IMG_4942.jpg

Pics of the spark plug that had water in it.

http://www.devastator.ca/images/sparkplug_water.jpg

http://www.devastator.ca/images/sparkplug_water1.jpg

loki
05-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Note to self: do not wash engine bay

Turok
05-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Note to self: do not wash engine bay

Ya +1 to that.. IF I ever do wash it again, I'll be covering the TMIC and the sides of it to make sure no water gets near the plugs.

Snotrocket
05-23-2012, 11:00 PM
interesting.. now that i have a FMIC the hood scoop just directs the rain and water onto the head... I wonder if this could cause an issue.

Turok
05-23-2012, 11:29 PM
interesting.. now that i have a FMIC the hood scoop just directs the rain and water onto the head... I wonder if this could cause an issue.

I don't think it would cause any issues, the amount of water coming from rain is nothing. Plus your car is running and the engine is hot so it would evaporate.