PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound from front of car

cSPEED
05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I feel like this has been covered 100039084921734 times and maybe I'm just reposting but I went to order new front sway bar bushings today and after finally finding correct part #'s I found a video of what worn sway bar bushings sound like and that's not what my car sounds like at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=urMCsmvJB_Q

That is not what it sounds like.

My car makes a distinct POP over bumps and through pace changes. It's not even a creak or a hollow sound it's a loud pop that sounds like it's coming out from under the windshield. I'll make a video if noone can put their finger on it.

Thanks for any help guys

Turok
05-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Video is unavailable right now :(

krimsalt
05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
How sharp is the sound? Is it inside the car or outside? There are almost a thousand possibilities and we need more variables to be answered in order to make a distinct guess. Possibly something loose under the dash? Strut mounting plate? Looks battery connection? Worn out ball-joint? Best is to have someone on the forums to test drive with you or have a dealer test drive it.

breakfasteatre
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
checked the endlinks? brand new ones barely move. When i changed them out, the old, dead ones had no resistance to movement

cSPEED
05-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking it's the endlinks, that was my next guess but I'd need someone to test to be sure. Might get jimmy to check it out.

The sound is a sharp pop. Happens very frequently, I want to say everytime the car changes pace or level changes (i.e acceleration/stopping, or going into a drive way/over a speed bump).

It only pops once at a time and from what I understand it can only be heard from inside the car. The sound is loud enough to be heard over music at almost any volume.

It's only from the front of the car.

If it is swaybar bushings/endlinks, what are some you guys recommend? I think I've already found the bushings although the ones people on MSF are recommending need to be retrofit basically and I don't want to go stock because those are known for problems. I guess I could make them work but it's a pain and would prefer something that I don't need to fix to get working. Also, best endlinks?

CelestSpeed3
05-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Stock endlinks are the best when installed properly.

To do that you will need a crowsfoot socket on a torque wrench. Something that most people don't have, let alone know how to use properly.

cSPEED
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks Paul. I guess ill just go stock end links from MOT. Hopefully that fixes it..

SomeGuy
05-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Stock endlinks are the best when installed properly.

To do that you will need a crowsfoot socket on a torque wrench. Something that most people don't have, let alone know how to use properly.

Is that so you can actually torque them accurately? I mean for the most part people just use a combination wrench and an allen key and snug em' right up?

CelestSpeed3
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes, I've seen people use the allen key socket of the torque wrench as well.

I'm not fond of that mentod only because I feel it puts extra stress on the ball end side. Not to say that it's wrong I just don't like it.

Most types of threaded rods and bolts should be torqued from the nut rather tha the bolt head. Of course your don't really have a choice with blind holes. That's just what I was taugh when I worked in the machine shop.