PDA

View Full Version : cat-back exhaust w/ straight pipe or Koni Oranges

07carbon3
06-01-2012, 08:26 PM
we lowered our car this past to spring and left the stock struts/shocks and thought bout getting some koni oranges but i also want a cbe w/straight pipe. i can't really do both in the year so just wandering what you guys would do. the stock struts/shocks have around 96,000km on them right now.

ps. hope this is in the right section if not please move

Mazdy
06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I would do suspension first...since u lowered your car and still on stock shocks/struts..if something goes wrong then it will cost you more money...

zzz3
06-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I would do suspension first...since u lowered your car and still on stock shocks/struts..if something goes wrong then it will cost you more money...
+1

You are on s-techs, it is only a matter of weeks, literally, before stock struts/shocks becomes fatigued. and the benefits of better dampers are easily more noticeable than cbe w/strait pipe.

aris
06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't bother touching the struts and shocks until they need replacing. My car is lowered on eibach pro-kits and I just changed my rear shocks cause the passenger side started leaking.

I lowered my car at around 70,000km and I'm at 152,000.... I'm still running my stock struts and I've put 82,000km since I lowered my car.

07carbon3
06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
+1

You are on s-techs, it is only a matter of weeks, literally, before stock struts/shocks becomes fatigued. and the benefits of better dampers are easily more noticeable than cbe w/strait pipe.

What do you mean fatigued?

zzz3
06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
What do you mean fatigued?
worn out.

I wouldn't bother touching the struts and shocks until they need replacing. My car is lowered on eibach pro-kits and I just changed my rear shocks cause the passenger side started leaking.

I lowered my car at around 70,000km and I'm at 152,000.... I'm still running my stock struts and I've put 82,000km since I lowered my car.

s-tech is stiffer and shorter than pro-kit.

Mazdy
06-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I ran Prokits for about 2yrs before i switched to SL with stock struts/shocks...and yes they dont need replacing because the stock suspension can take the prokits for a long time...since prokits arent that low..

But on the other hand..the OP is running S-techs and they are similar to my sportsline.....

With that being said..hes asking if either hes gonna go for an exhaust or a suspension upgrade...Since hes on a tight budget..

Lets say he goes exhaust...and after about a month his stock suspension gives up..

Hyperion
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Remember guys, prokits are very mild and can run on stock struts/shocks easily, lower springs, not so much.
Do the Koni's first.

aris
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
No matter what you guys say I still wouldn't change the struts/shocks untill their worn out.

Hyperion
06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
No matter what you guys say I still wouldn't change the struts/shocks untill their worn out.

Not even for ride comfortability?
Adjustable stiffness is pretty nice.

aris
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Chris why don't you wait? Since money is tight just wait till you got money to do the exhaust..

Not even for ride comfortability?
Adjustable stiffness is pretty nice.

No man... I just can't justify it.

Freakzaz
06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I personally wouldn't wait til they blow out so I would definitely go for the konis. But if you prefer the sound and mild gains from the exhaust, then by all means go for it.

6strings
06-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Koni 2012 LOL.
Are you getting the struts or exhaust w/str8 pipe brand new? If so I'd suggest go with the struts before they cause a problem.
If you are willing to go used, and if you are patient you might get a set of Koni yellows instead, and just keep waiting and get a used CBE from a memeber. But that is leaving it up to luck.

Jackal
06-02-2012, 12:33 AM
I'd go Konis first then exhaust later. But it's your ride. If you'd rather hear a louder exhaust then go for that first.

07carbon3
06-02-2012, 07:57 AM
I personally wouldn't wait til they blow out so I would definitely go for the konis. But if you prefer the sound and mild gains from the exhaust, then by all means go for it.
i'm not worried about any gains, just a nice deeper sounding car

Koni 2012 LOL.
Are you getting the struts or exhaust w/str8 pipe brand new? If so I'd suggest go with the struts before they cause a problem.
If you are willing to go used, and if you are patient you might get a set of Koni yellows instead, and just keep waiting and get a used CBE from a member. But that is leaving it up to luck.
I'm totally ok with going for a used cbe, if a good deal comes up for one then maybe i could do both this year.I would kinda of prefer getting new shocks and struts but if i set of used yellows came up for about the price of new oranges i would do that. i don't want to spend 700 on yellows when i can get oranges for 350 and be same quality just not adjustable

I'd go Konis first then exhaust later. But it's your ride. If you'd rather hear a louder exhaust then go for that first.

decisions decisions lmao but then i read in your ride thread "But as a daily driver I am happy with it. I drive more now with my radio off and sometimes give 'er a little extra just to hear the deeper tone. It's definitely more fun to drive."

lazor86
06-02-2012, 08:07 AM
@ 07carbon3
If you're not worried about any gains just get rid of the Resonator. I got a custom exhaust and when I took the Resonator off it gave it a nice rumble. That's probably the cheapest way of getting just sound.

07carbon3
06-02-2012, 10:24 AM
@ 07carbon3
If you're not worried about any gains just get rid of the Resonator. I got a custom exhaust and when I took the Resonator off it gave it a nice rumble. That's probably the cheapest way of getting just sound.

oh yeah good point, forgot about that

07carbon3
06-02-2012, 10:29 AM
got back shortly from limitless auto had a 4 week follow up alignment, Faisal was saying i should really put new struts on

Jackal
06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
got back shortly from limitless auto had a 4 week follow up alignment, Faisal was saying i should really put new struts on

Yup. Struts and shocks first then exhaust. You'll love the ride quality vs stock struts and shocks. I got koni yellows first them exhaust.

07carbon3
06-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Yup. Struts and shocks first then exhaust. You'll love the ride quality vs stock struts and shocks. I got koni yellows first them exhaust.

but i don't think ill be getting yellows just oranges unless i find a decent used set of yellows

Jackal
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
but i don't think ill be getting yellows just oranges unless i find a decent used set of yellows

The oranges will be great since they were made for aftermarket lowering springs! Great price too. I have only done minor adjustments in firmness to the yellows anyway so brand new oranges would be great.

07carbon3
06-02-2012, 11:35 AM
The oranges will be great since they were made for aftermarket lowering springs! Great price too. I have only done minor adjustments in firmness to the yellows anyway so brand new oranges would be great.

i wonder if i called koni if they could tell me how much stiffer they are compared to mazda oem

Freakzaz
06-03-2012, 07:08 PM
i wonder if i called koni if they could tell me how much stiffer they are compared to mazda oem

Don't know exactly how stiff in comparison, but they are adjustable in the end so you can see what best suits your wants.

07carbon3
06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Don't know exactly how stiff in comparison, but they are adjustable in the end so you can see what best suits your wants.

oranges are non-adjustable

zzz3
06-04-2012, 01:40 AM
orange is equivalent to softest setting on the yellows.

Freakzaz
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
oranges are non-adjustable

Oops my bad, was reading Jackal's posts about the yellows haha.

07carbon3
06-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Oops my bad, was reading Jackal's posts about the yellows haha.

hahha no worries

6strings
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Go with Koni Yellows if you are going with the Shocks. The S-techs will need the dampers set at a stiffer setting.