PDA

View Full Version : 24K maintenance necessary?

Akiba48
08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I couldn't really find anything much here in the forum, so I think it's safe to ask?
Is the 24K maintenance necessary? I'm already about more than half a year past this service. Current mileage is at 27K...and car is approaching its 2 year mark in 2-3 months.
I already do the oil changes at Avante, but I would probably go to Ivan@iGarage after warranty is over. Much better price than Jimmy@SP (no offense Jimmy :P)
Last time they asked me to do the 24K, I just said "no, oil change is fine". So should I just continue to do the oil change? Shell out over $200 for the 24K service? Or go to Jimmy because he can do it for less apparently :P

Wes08M3
08-26-2012, 12:18 AM
24k service is necessary if you'd like to keep your brakes in the best possible shape. And to prevent any chance of seizing and/or squealing, especially if you have a manual trans and use the e-brake everyday.

Also, if anything should happen to any of the brake components (pads & rotors excluded in most cases), there will be no questions as to whether it should be covered under warranty. If you don't do the service, Mazda doesn't have to provide warranty for a failed brake component.

I wouldn't go to the dealer for this service though as it's quite a rip off. There are lots of places that can do the service for much less. Highline Motors does it for $115 I believe. As long as the shop provides you with a receipt, there should be no problems with warranty coverage.

aris
08-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm at 162,000km and I never did it and my car is a 08.... My sister in law 08 is at 218,000km and she never did it either and has no issues...

It's up to you but I didn't do it.. Nor would I ever do it

Akiba48
08-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, my parents haven't done these kinds of services for the past 2 cars (01 Toyota Corolla and an 07 Dodge Caravan), but both of them were below 100,000km.
Highline Motors is a bit...far...

rzapata
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
It's a safety measure for you, knowing that your brakes aren't gonna crap out on you. There's a lot of moving parts there that are eventually gonna fail.. If you don't get these things serviced (or looked at, as a minimum), how would you know if there's something wrong or if it's still in tip top shape?

Personally, I would go with what makes the most sense to me and not just rely on hearsay. If you want to follow what most people say, make sure you back it up with research and enusre that the information you have is satisfactory to your standard. If your parents haven't done a brake service on their cars and want to follow them, that's totally your decision too...