PDA

View Full Version : pushing on start up was it bad?

ssolidd
09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi I own a 2.0 litre mazda3 08 and have a habit pushing hard on my gas pedal specially during start up till it reach a max 60kph (green lights), I drive always on auto and I like the sound that came from my muffler(zoom-zoom) when I do that thing. Now my question is was it bad for engine? I know by doing this I also consumes alot of gas during start-up but it gets addicting and fun too when you heard the sound.

stevenma188
09-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Hard acceleration is not only strenuous on the engine, but also the transmission/drivetrain.

That being said, you don't need to baby your car, but it's probably not a good idea to go full throttle from every stoplight.

Cab0oze
09-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Its your car, have fun with it :)
Depending on how you drive you will always need to replace things faster, like someone that always pounds the brakes will need to replace the brakes faster. Something *may* break on your car eventually, but I don't think driving it hard will make a huge difference. Like if your transmission goes, it would have gone anyway, but maybe its gonna go a little bit sooner.

peterm15
09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm taking this as your revving the engine right after starting your car ( within seconds)

If so. Don't do that. It is bad for your engine.

As for driving hard, feel free. Just do so safely.

Thrizzl3
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
as long and you aren't neutral dropping your fine

Snotrocket
09-05-2012, 12:53 PM
your car needs time to warm up to eliminate clearances within the motor.. metal expands when heated thus seating everything in its proper place.. Always smart to wait until engine oil is at operating temperature before driving aggressively.

Edit: i read that wrong as i thought you meant when you first start the car... None the less, good information.

trulankan
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
you will burn gas more quickly (if u care that is) and yes u will put a little extra wear on the engine and components if u do it alot

silverstarmazda
09-05-2012, 06:38 PM
im gonna tell you what i was told. "it cant be that bad for the car, but it cant be good either" lol. i would say make sure the car is ready to run like that. make sure everything is up to temp. and dont trust you temp gauge in you dash. thats only monitoring the coolant temp. everything else might still not be up to operating temp. also try to smoothly engage everything, sudden load shock might break something. like if i slapped you face, would you like it fast or slow ( lol no offense, just popped in my head and was a perfect example lol )

mikey32235
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
i find that when i push the car right on cold start in the morning everything is really jumpy when i shift gears, it doesn't feel or sound right. so i let me car warm up for a bit until it gets hot. then every things fine! just my advice to you. let it warm up.

ssolidd
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
thank you guys for your suggestions and comments, im on my cellphone now so I cant reply much. I have another question since most you mentioned pushing hard on gas is not advisable (from red to green light till max 60km) how about using the "M" mode? lets say I push it hard till my first gear reach like 7rev? then switch to next gear would it be ok as in starting in a real manual car?

Impressive
09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
thank you guys for your suggestions and comments, im on my cellphone now so I cant reply much. I have another question since most you mentioned pushing hard on gas is not advisable (from red to green light till max 60km) how about using the "M" mode? lets say I push it hard till my first gear reach like 7rev? then switch to next gear would it be ok as in starting in a real manual car?

Bottom line - if you beat on your car consistently, it is NOT good for the car. Once in a while, sure, but if you're doing this kind of stuff all the time then you better pray before you sleep at night :)

lcianf01
09-07-2012, 04:17 PM
if you wanna drive that hard. Shouldn't have broughten a 3. should have gotten a 300hp car and you'd only have to push half as hard so i'd be ok lol

peterm15
09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
7k rpm is redline isn't it. if thats the case after a while of driving that hard you will go "zoom zoom boom." ( stole that from mspeed guy)

There is no need to be driving that hard all the damn time. Your beating your car up and attracting unwanted attention to yourself and even possibly the club ( if you sport plates or decals )

My suggestion for you is not to use manual mode. Keep it on AT as it will choose a safe time to shift for you.

You are driving a 2500 lb car not playing a video game. Please treat it as such and if you wanna get some real fun out of your car, take it to the track.

Better yet buy coils and SLAM the car down. If anything will teach you how to relax it's that.

Or you can just do what I do. Listen, learn and attempt your own work on the car. I find working on my car ( or others) WAY more fun then driving.

leecheefoto
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM

What peterm15 said. When I had my car slammed, it taught me to be a relaxed driver and not give a shit about other people lol. I also did 100 max and never had any hard takeoffs.

Other than that, the M mode is fool proof. But that doesn't mean you should hit the redline everytime.
1. You'll waste a lot of gas
2. You'll hurt the car
3. You'll probably hurt the tranny too
4. You'll have to change the ATF more often

If you want to use it in M mode and for DD, shift at 2.5-3k rpm depending on the amount of passengers.

Assuming you do have an aftermarket exhaust, you don't need to attract that much attention or maybe you want to attract cops? Its not worth the ticket gas and risk of the car to get attention.

If you have a stock exhaust, buy an aftermarket exhaust / intake / header if you want your car loud.

Snotrocket
09-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Drive it like you stole it... Thats my motto!

Wes08M3
09-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Accelerating until the engine hits redline is downright dangerous to be doing on public roads. People driving real manual cars do not do this, nor do they ever have to. How is this even a question?

Completely aside from that fact that it is much harder on your car, it's not appropriate everyday driving. This behavior is almost guaranteed to get you driving above the speed limit and if it doesn't it'll sure be considered reckless driving, ask a cop and see what he/she says.

If it was safe, everyone would be matting their gas pedals everywhere they go, do you see all other drivers doing this? I sure hope not.

silverstarmazda
09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
What peterm15 said. When I had my car slammed, it taught me to be a relaxed driver and not give a shit about other people lol. I also did 100 max and never had any hard takeoffs.

Other than that, the M mode is fool proof. But that doesn't mean you should hit the redline everytime.
1. You'll waste a lot of gas
2. You'll hurt the car
3. You'll probably hurt the tranny too
4. You'll have to change the ATF more often

If you want to use it in M mode and for DD, shift at 2.5-3k rpm depending on the amount of passengers.

Assuming you do have an aftermarket exhaust, you don't need to attract that much attention or maybe you want to attract cops? Its not worth the ticket gas and risk of the car to get attention.

If you have a stock exhaust, buy an aftermarket exhaust / intake / header if you want your car loud.

doesnt the 2nd gen shift out of gear for you if you get close to red line in "m" mode? heard that was happens.... op has a 1st gen, our "m" modes will not shift out no matter wat unless u input the next gear

Snotrocket
09-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Accelerating until the engine hits redline is downright dangerous to be doing on public roads. People driving real manual cars do not do this, nor do they ever have to. How is this even a question?

Completely aside from that fact that it is much harder on your car, it's not appropriate everyday driving. This behavior is almost guaranteed to get you driving above the speed limit and if it doesn't it'll sure be considered reckless driving, ask a cop and see what he/she says.

If it was safe, everyone would be matting their gas pedals everywhere they go, do you see all other drivers doing this? I sure hope not.

Woah, don't have fun around this guy.....

leecheefoto
09-08-2012, 12:52 PM
doesnt the 2nd gen shift out of gear for you if you get close to red line in "m" mode? heard that was happens.... op has a 1st gen, our "m" modes will not shift out no matter wat unless u input the next gear

Lol umm I don't know but I don't want to try :p but in auto mode I've seen it go as far as 6.5k when I really need to go fast entering the highway cause people don't know how to speed up and end up merging doing 60

Wes08M3
09-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Woah, don't have fun around this guy.....

Haha I'm not saying you can't have fun on some empty back roads. I've done that before, who hasn't. But who drives through the city accelerating to redline in first gear from stop light to stop light?! That just makes you look like a complete tool and it's dangerous, especially when you're such a noob you have to ask people if something like that is safe and/or a good idea...

Haven't you seen the news stories on the people who "lost control of their vehicle" and drove through the front of a Tim Hortons on a busy main road lol. It happened in Barrie a few years ago, and no it was not the winter, and yes he was driving like an ass.

I know you have a BT so at least your car is fast when you mat it lol and you're comfortable with your car. When you redline an MZ3 and have only managed to move like 50 feet down a city road you just look like an idiot...

2nd gen
05-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Agree with snotrocket, about warmup amd expansion of rings:-)

boyracer
05-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Agree with snotrocket, about warmup amd expansion of rings:-)

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/vectorferret/Motivation%20Posters/motivator9160924.jpg