PDA

View Full Version : Wore out bearings?

SKYMP3
10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Noticed some small knocking noise when I turn, especially when I back out from parking or turn in to park.
Been advised that it's wore out bearing cause by the aftermarket springs (COBB) not sit in properly.

Suspension set up is Cobb Springs with Koni Yellows, those been installed for half years, notice the noise since 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else have similar experience?

funkdupspeed3
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I have the same exact issue. Who diagnosed the issue as bearings?

I never had that problem til I installed my Cobb springs and koni yellows about a month ago. When I was stock the was no issues.

coteya
10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
yea its the bearing on the strut mount changed mine yesterday and i had the same symptoms, 35$ at Mazda and you can rent a spring compressor at ct for free

funkdupspeed3
10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Did you change both sides? How long did the job take you?

SKYMP3
10-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Did you change both sides? How long did the job take you?

+1

coteya
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
just one, only one side was bad and it took me around an hour same process as changing springs

SKYMP3
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Did you change just the bearing or the mount together?

coteya
10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
just the bearing as it doesn't come as a assembly

Zuluwun
10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
SKYMP3, have you read this thread yet?

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66735

SKYMP3
10-22-2012, 04:58 PM
SKYMP3, have you read this thread yet?

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66735

Thanks,

Zuluwun
10-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks,

:thumbsup

mikey32235
10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
when i installed my coil overs i experienced this problem, so i should change the bearing on the strut mount (both sides) and it should be all fixed?

coteya
10-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah i would recomend both side as they wear out almost the same, gotta do driver side now.. Shit

mikey32235
10-29-2012, 06:27 PM
ah thats too bad man... i think before I do that I'm gonna buy winter tires, and a hpfp internal upgrade... those are more important especially since i was sliding today!

SKYMP3
11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Just giving a little update, got a new set of strut bearing (~$28.xx each after TM3 discount at dealership), then installed new set of springs (Eibach Pro-kits). Noise is gone.....pending to go for alignment in about a week.

Went to 2 places to get this problem look at, both mechanic saying the springs is not sit in properly and now the strut bearing is done.
Cobb denied to honor warranty, they said their parts warranty is 1 year only and aftermarket parts could always possibly damage others parts in the car anyway. Kinda disappointed with their response. Regret of not getting Eibach over Cobb springs initally.

Aitch
11-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Well if it truly is caused by faulty springs, your bearing will just fail again.

If instead the problem is caused by the spring not being installed correctly, then it's not Cobb's fault. Just playing devil's advocate.

SKYMP3
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Jimmy was the one installed it and I beleive there is another member who got COBB springs that has the same problem.

Zuluwun
11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I dunno how many advocates the devil needs but my one strut bearing failed some time after I had Prokits installed (also by Jimmy).

Booter22
11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I dunno how many advocates the devil needs but my one strut bearing failed some time after I had Prokits installed (also by Jimmy).

thats usually because of the install. lots of care needs to be taken to pull the sturt out in 1 piece. if the bearing seperates it will go shortly after. i had mine installed at work. same thing happened. 1 came out good. the other.. not so good. now has a mazda 5 bearing as it was all we had. same part however just a different #

Zuluwun
11-23-2012, 11:11 PM
thats usually because of the install. lots of care needs to be taken to pull the sturt out in 1 piece. if the bearing seperates it will go shortly after. i had mine installed at work. same thing happened. 1 came out good. the other.. not so good. now has a mazda 5 bearing as it was all we had. same part however just a different #

yeah, I've heard the DIY install stories of people finding out the hard way that that thing is full of ball bearings. I have faith in Jim's work but it's a plausible explanation. Esp. seeing as only one of mine died, just like you.

zzz3
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
i had mine done by chee and the new kid (noth gone now) at street performance in the summer. the kid did put in my springs upside down at first, so im thinking it could be an installation issue. i have the parts, its just finding a way to put it in without blowing a $100...

i should add that i don't think its the springs not having enough travel up top because there a lot of users on m3r running road magnets (and konis) without issue.

Zuluwun
12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
i had mine done by chee and the new kid (noth gone now) at street performance in the summer. the kid did put in my springs upside down at first, so im thinking it could be an installation issue. i have the parts, its just finding a way to put it in without blowing a $100...

i should add that i don't think its the springs not having enough travel up top because there a lot of users on m3r running road magnets (and konis) without issue.

Actually, Chi put in my shocks too.. not Jimmy. I forgot until you mentioned him.

It doesn't seem like a terribly hard install if you have the tools (incl. spring compressor). I watched Jimmy change my bearing and the hardest part seemed to be getting the shock base out of whatever it sits in - personally I'd rather pay to have Jimmy do it for that reason alone.

That said, it's cold out, so I'd say bite the bullet on this one, especially if you only need one changed. I blew all my mod money on repairs a few months ago so I know the feeling :(