PDA

View Full Version : BT Build - Misc tibits needed

fywdyl
11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, I've check several sources online, but I haven't been able to find exact answers as to what I'm looking for.

Here's a list of things that I plan to install:

JBR SRI
Steedspeed Mani
UR DP V2
BT

I have new studs and nuts for the mani and turbo, and I have the necessary lines for the turbo. My questions are:

- Do I need a 1/8" NPT plug for the EGT hole in the mani if I don't have an EGT gauge? Where can I get one?

- What stock parts can be reused? (i.e. turbo bracket? any lines?)

- What are the crush washers used for? How many do I need?

- I will need coolant for the swap, does it have to be Mazda coolant?

- Do I need a tool to remove the O2 sensor or can I just PB Blast the crap out of it?

That's all I can think of for now, as usual, your input is much appreciated.

loki
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
this is to avoid the dreaded "oh by the way you should have put copper gasket maker on your injector seals"

which by the way, I did....

yes you will need to get the plug, if not you will have unlimited VTA EWG

BlueStreak recommends going with the Mazda stuff.

I have a good socket for removing the O2 sensors, courtesy of Racerboy (has this stuck yet?)

Fack_Dude
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, I've check several sources online, but I haven't been able to find exact answers as to what I'm looking for.

JBR SRI
Steedspeed Mani
UR DP V2
BT

I have new studs and nuts for the mani and turbo, and I have the necessary lines for the turbo. My questions are:

- Do I need a 1/8" NPT plug for the EGT hole in the mani if I don't have an EGT gauge? Where can I get one?

- Do I need a tool to remove the O2 sensor or can I just PB Blast the crap out of it?

Hey Anson,

If you are swaping downpipes make sure you pick up a new gasket between downpipe and manifold also which will cost you about 80.00 bucks from mazda. Spray the shit outta of the sensors with tons of pb blaster before you start the build the day before. Also check the manifold for any cracks before the install.

loki
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey Anson,

If you are swaping downpipes make sure you pick up a new gasket between downpipe and manifold also which will cost you about 80.00 bucks from mazda. Spray the shit outta of the sensors with tons of pb blaster before you start the build the day before. Also check the manifold for any cracks before the install.

the UR dp's use a different gasket, I believe.

but I really should pick up a new gasket myself.

boyracer
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
this is to avoid the dreaded "oh by the way you should have put copper gasket maker on your injector seals"

which by the way, I did....

yes you will need to get the plug, if not you will have unlimited VTA EWG

BlueStreak recommends going with the Mazda stuff.

I have a good socket for removing the O2 sensors, courtesy of Racerboy (has this stuck yet?)

lol. Damn it.

fywdyl
11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
the UR dp's use a different gasket, I believe.

but I really should pick up a new gasket myself.

I'll double check to see if I got a gasket from UR. Paul did mention something about the gasket though. Thanks Derek.

BlueStreak
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM

JBR SRI
Steedspeed Mani
UR DP V2
BT

Yes, you need a plug. Bolts Plus sells them for sure. At most, $1/plug. Might want to get one for loki so he can throw it in his BT box by the furnace.

Stock oil feed line is reused. Turbo bracket not necessary with Steed mani. Do you have extra vac line?

Used for oil feed line gasketing. You need 2.

Yes. You won't need very much if you pinch the coolant lines before disconnecting them. You and loki can split a jug then he can store what's left over in his BT box.

PB blast that shiz and let it sit. I have the O2 socket if you need.

Responses in red.

fywdyl
11-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Responses in red.

Awesome! Thanks Dave!

So looks like I'll need:
- 1 plug for EGT (2 if loki needs one), from Bolts Plus or ATP
- 2 crush washers (4 if loki needs), from ATP
- Vac line, I think I have left over from the HKS BOV
- Mazda Coolant, is it a specific kind? Any Mazda dealership should have it right? Any hookups?

loki
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Responses in red.

I already have a full jug sitting in my BT box

BlueStreak
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks Dave!

So looks like I'll need:
- 1 plug for EGT (2 if loki needs one), from Bolts Plus or ATP
- 2 crush washers (4 if loki needs), from ATP
- Vac line, I think I have left over from the HKS BOV
- Mazda Coolant, is it a specific kind? Any Mazda dealership should have it right? Any hookups?

FL22 from Mazda. If you hit up one of the Mazda sponsors on TM3, you get 20% off I believe. It's at least 15%

BlueStreak
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I already have a full jug sitting in my BT box

:chuckle

-cj-
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Dave pretty much covered everything. I just wanted to point out you can get the EGT NPT plug from Home Depot in the plumbing section as well. It's brass, not sure if it's different from the one Dave recommended. I ran with one for a while. Just make sure you coat it with copper anti seize before installing it.

fywdyl
11-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Dave pretty much covered everything. I just wanted to point out you can get the EGT NPT plug from Home Depot in the plumbing section as well. It's brass, not sure if it's different from the one Dave recommended. I ran with one for a while. Just make sure you coat it with copper anti seize before installing it.

Thanks Jerry! That will save me a trip cuz all Bolts Plus locations are f-ing far.

breakfasteatre
11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Me and phil went to the home depot in woodbridge, could not find the plug, so dont go to that location

BlueStreak
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Anson. Send me a text tomorrow at 3pm or so so I can rummage through my car stuff. I may have an extra plug.

fywdyl
11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Me and phil went to the home depot in woodbridge, could not find the plug, so dont go to that location

Noted.

Anson. Send me a text tomorrow at 3pm or so so I can rummage through my car stuff. I may have an extra plug.

Will do, thanks Dave.

-cj-
11-04-2012, 11:32 AM

If it helps (anyone else..), I picked mine up from the Heartland Mississauga location. It's in a small baggie... I think it was near the fridge ice maker install section ...

You can also contact Steedspeed and they will supply one for free..(if you bought it directly from him)

taz4432
11-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Any Parts Source will have the plug..it's a stock item for them. I've picked them up from there before. It's dirt cheap, too.

Any big-box hardware should also have it, though. Just gotta look in the right place/find someone who knows what they're talking about.

fywdyl
11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Dave graciously offered up his plug, thanks guys.

breakfasteatre
11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
anson, still need that plug? lol

fywdyl
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
anson, still need that plug? lol

Nope, I do not. Why you wanna put your plug somewhere?