PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvements after first oil change?

Edward_Zoom
01-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Has anybody got better fuel economy after the first oil change?

Booter22
01-04-2013, 12:35 AM
usually you will see an increase over time as thing wear in. on both my 2010s i didnt see it go up and stay to what its at now until 24,000km. but you wont really see an increase now during winter. maybe more so when its warmer again.

eSS
01-04-2013, 01:56 AM
+1 wait for the warmer weather. I'm due for my first oil change as well. Gettin done as soon as I get her back

Edward_Zoom
01-04-2013, 08:53 AM
usually you will see an increase over time as thing wear in. on both my 2010s i didnt see it go up and stay to what its at now until 24,000km. but you wont really see an increase now during winter. maybe more so when its warmer again.

I also noticed my brakes are a bit grabby at slight touch of the brake pedal from cold start. Eventually, it disappears as i drive. Maybe it is the winter.

mathew.poulos
01-04-2013, 09:22 AM
I also noticed my brakes are a bit grabby at slight touch of the brake pedal from cold start. Eventually, it disappears as i drive. Maybe it is the winter.

I had this problem on every car, my current 3, my old jetta, rents RX8 CX-9 and 3 hatchback. Very common

stsniper
01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Lol, on my last tank I got around 480, I hope it's winter tires, cold weather and me warming it up too much, otherwise I'll be really upset with the mileage, plus the car only has less than 1500

Edward_Zoom
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
+1 wait for the warmer weather. I'm due for my first oil change as well. Gettin done as soon as I get her back

How many kilo to change oil?

lcianf01
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Lol, on my last tank I got around 480, I hope it's winter tires, cold weather and me warming it up too much, otherwise I'll be really upset with the mileage, plus the car only has less than 1500

Oh boy that is quite low.i got 540 on my last tank 05 3. Basic! 15 inch wheels i dont know if that helps.

Kessly Snipes
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Has anybody got better fuel economy after the first oil change?

Yes and it gets better until about 15K, then levels off

This makes a big difference for me.

I notice the same, colder the weather the grabbier they are on my first touch of the breaks. Once I start driving it goes back to normal. Always a good wake me up when pulling up to the first stop sign on my street.

That seems off. I have never gotten worse than 500 with HARD driving. Normally 650-750 a tank, 60-70% highway

stsniper
01-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Yup, 489km and put in 53 liters, I do warm it up for about 10 mins at times, and no hard driving, never over 3.5rpm, usually don't even push it harder than 2.5 yet, more city driving, hope it is still breaking in....

eSS
01-04-2013, 12:29 PM
How many kilo to change oil?

Mazda quotes every 8k or 4 months. I'm sitting around 6xxxkms and bought the vehicle in September. I'm under in mileage but the month interval is there. Probably be another week or so till I get it back

Edward_Zoom
02-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Mazda quotes every 8k or 4 months. I'm sitting around 6xxxkms and bought the vehicle in September. I'm under in mileage but the month interval is there. Probably be another week or so till I get it back

To what people have told me that if you don't go back to your dealer for a schedule maintenance, like an oil change for example, you will loose your warranty.

5_Alive
02-21-2013, 02:35 AM
To what people have told me that if you don't go back to your dealer for a schedule maintenance, like an oil change for example, you will loose your warranty.

This is the farthest thing from the truth.
It is better to visit a dealership for all your services in case something happens in the future to the vehicle.
When you have a dealer maintain the vehicle, everything is recorded and available online for them to access.
Ex.) You go to Florida, car breaks down; they can access certain information to find out about the history of the vehicle to validate your warranty claim.

If you take your car to Jerk Lube & don't save your receipts, you forget one, are stuck in a bind & cannot provide necessary documentation, then yes, you could quite possibly run the risk of being unable to obtain a warranty-related repair.

Its best to go to one dealership & stick with them; they will get to know you & your vehicle best.
Hope that helps.

P.S. Its wise to change the oil before the 2,000km mark the first time when the vehicle is brand-new.
Moe

Edward_Zoom
02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
It is better to visit a dealership for all your services in case something happens in the future to the vehicle.
When you have a dealer maintain the vehicle, everything is recorded and available online for them to access.
Ex.) You go to Florida, car breaks down; they can access certain information to find out about the history of the vehicle to validate your warranty claim.

If you take your car to Jerk Lube & don't save your receipts, you forget one, are stuck in a bind & cannot provide necessary documentation, then yes, you could quite possibly run the risk of being unable to obtain a warranty-related repair.

Its best to go to one dealership & stick with them; they will get to know you & your vehicle best.
Hope that helps.

P.S. Its wise to change the oil before the 2,000km mark the first time when the vehicle is brand-new.
Moe

I was thinking of getting oil change earlier too, but the salesman who sold me the car said 7000km or 4 months, regardless if the car is new or not. But this car i am driving uses synthetic oil.

Why synthetic oil??

thirdgen3
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I've had my Skyactiv since May 2012, it now has 31,500km on it and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy (I'm aware it's probably due to colder weather and winter tires). In the summer I was pushing 750km a tank, now it seems to vary anywhere from 500km - 600km.

5_Alive
02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I was thinking of getting oil change earlier too, but the salesman who sold me the car said 7000km or 4 months, regardless if the car is new or not. But this car i am driving uses synthetic oil.

Why synthetic oil??

I'm no mechanic but I think its something to do with low viscosity means less resistance and faster warm ups and better lubrication. Its also more emissions friendly.

Bobbylou
06-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I picked up my GS-Sky about 3 weeks ago. On my first tank I took it very easy. I'd say 50/50 City and Highway, I got 932kms out of it. Believe it or not I placed a spare Gas container in my car and started driving on QEW Niagara bound until I ran out of Gas completely. looked at my kms and it was 932.

Bobbylou
06-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Mazda spec states the fuel tank capacity as 55L. When I ran out of gas the other day, I filled up my tank all the way up to the neck and it took 66 litres.

sarujo
06-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Talk about silly and dangerous. Intentionally driving, on a highway no less, waiting for all the fuel to be used up. Not only is that major safety hazard but it causes a lot of strain on your fuel pump.

Please do us all a favor and stick to empty back roads for these tests, so you don't hurt/kill anyone when your car dies from no fuel and cause a major accident.

I picked up my GS-Sky about 3 weeks ago. On my first tank I took it very easy. I'd say 50/50 City and Highway, I got 932kms out of it. Believe it or not I placed a spare Gas container in my car and started driving on QEW Niagara bound until I ran out of Gas completely. looked at my kms and it was 932.

Edward_Zoom
06-03-2013, 08:55 AM

I managed to get 7.0 liter per 100km because i went to Buffalo. To me this skyactiv engine is mostly made up of some tweaks here and there.

This skyactiv has a long way to go to match diesel.

Bobbylou
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Talk about silly and dangerous. Intentionally driving, on a highway no less, waiting for all the fuel to be used up. Not only is that major safety hazard but it causes a lot of strain on your fuel pump.

Please do us all a favor and stick to empty back roads for these tests, so you don't hurt/kill anyone when your car dies from no fuel and cause a major accident.

Thank you for the concern. This test is done only once!

hisakix
06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
This guy is just trolling you haha. Yea I guess those 66L included the extra fuel canister you brought to place in your car for some on the fly highway fuel-up :)

5_Alive
06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm.. I do believe the Skyactiv Mazda 3's use a 60L tank.. I've had new 3's take well over 60 liters of fuel when filling them up..
My Speed3 takes over 60L at times.. depends how much I really feel like filling it..

hisakix
06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Skyactiv Sedan and Hatch have a 55L tank. 11L over the specifications stated by the Manufacturer? Hehe... :)

greyseason
06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
11 over? It's supposed to be 55L. Where does it say it's a 44L tank? Or do you mean 44mpg?

hisakix
06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
11 over? It's supposed to be 55L. Where does it say it's a 44L tank? Or do you mean 44mpg?
Nah, just another TM3 poster in this thread claimed he allegedly filled his Skyactiv hatch with 66L of fuel, which is 11L over the manufacturer specification of 55L fuel capacity.

greyseason
06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Nah, just another TM3 poster in this thread claimed he allegedly filled his Skyactiv hatch with 66L of fuel, which is 11L over the manufacturer specification of 55L fuel capacity.

Oh gotcha. 66L seems high, I know when I bought my car the dealer put in 60L to top it right up. My thought is they do that so when they're trying to sell you a car, it'll go say 1000km on 55L, but I have yet to get that and I probably get te best mileage on the forum lol

I am going to try and fill the car up to the max and shoot for 1000km but I am doubtful of that

5_Alive
06-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, explains how I get over 60L in my own car..
The MS3 & GT's have 60L tanks, Skyactiv's are 55L.

For a Skyactiv to fill in at 66L is huge.. the car must be really empty.
I have got over 60L in these cars many times..

beyond
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
The heck?
The most I've been able to fill up is around 50L
On avg I've been filling up around 40L-45L and I fill up when the light turns on...

greyseason
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
The heck?
The most I've been able to fill up is around 50L
On avg I've been filling up around 40L-45L and I fill up when the light turns on...

Same with me, but if you run it til the last square is gone and full it til it overflows you should get around 55+ liters

Metal Wing
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Same with me, but if you run it til the last square is gone and full it til it overflows you should get around 55+ liters

Yup, quick math:

12 squares = 55L
55/12 = 4.5L/square

This was the first thing I figured out when I got the car, and confirmed at the gas station, by getting to 3 squares and filling up ~40L

Right now I get around ~600km/tank (90% city) and my car is due for its first service in July. Will report if I see any change!

greyseason
06-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Yup, quick math:

12 squares = 55L
55/12 = 4.5L/square

This was the first thing I figured out when I got the car, and confirmed at the gas station, by getting to 3 squares and filling up ~40L

Right now I get around ~600km/tank (90% city) and my car is due for its first service in July. Will report if I see any change!

I did the same thing too, but you guys gotta get an ultraguage. Honestly the best mod I've bought for the car. I've noticed my gas mileage goes up after an oil change, so you should too. Also around 50k get your intake/fuel system cleaned. Just got that done and it's ah-mazing

Everlaid
10-06-2013, 01:29 AM
I've had my Skyactiv since May 2012, it now has 31,500km on it and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy (I'm aware it's probably due to colder weather and winter tires). In the summer I was pushing 750km a tank, now it seems to vary anywhere from 500km - 600km.

Thats what i have been getting. Very disappointing but still love the car

Tahna Los
10-07-2013, 12:34 PM
The Skyactiv officially has a 55L tank including 5L in reserve. Overflow has it around 10 L making it around 65L give or take. People say that you shoudn't be filling the tank that much to the brim. Frankly, I don't care because of my commutes, I need every ounce of gas I can muster.

As for fuel economy numbers in general, it would seem that I am having slightly better fuel economy with my vehicle compared to my old 2006 Chevy Cobalt, with 8.0L/100km compared to 9.0L/100km. Then again, I drive like a maniac (when this car is so much more fun to drive compared to the Cobalt....) I could get it down to 7 if I was good with the throttle but I just don't see that happening... :D

funkdupspeed3
10-09-2013, 07:55 AM
What kind of oil do you skyactiv guys/gals use? Is there a better brand than the bulk crap the dealer uses? When would you recommend I do my first oil change on my brand new 2013 Mazda 3 Sport GS-L

Aitch
10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
What kind of oil do you skyactiv guys/gals use? Is there a better brand than the bulk crap the dealer uses? When would you recommend I do my first oil change on my brand new 2013 Mazda 3 Sport GS-L

I recall a thread or posts on here that the official Mazda oil for the Skyactiv is actually a pretty good synthetic for a not-unreasonable price.

Edward_Zoom
10-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Hope that helps.

Moe

When the warranty is over, I am gone to my nearest trusted mechanic. These dealers will try to get every penny from your pocket for work that sometimes you don't really need or you can somebody to do it for you at half the price.

Mechanics get paid for work being done.

Tahna Los
10-15-2013, 11:19 AM
When the warranty is over, I am gone to my nearest trusted mechanic. These dealers will try to get every penny from your pocket for work that sometimes you don't really need or you can somebody to do it for you at half the price.

Yep. Always go to the dealership until the warranty expires.

funkdupspeed3
10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I just picked up my brand new 2013 Mazda3 Sport GS-L last week. Does the suspension settle and lower a bit over time. I am sitting really high compared to other mazda3 sports on stock 16inch alloy wheels.

MazdaMike02
11-09-2013, 05:23 PM
The suspension should already be settled. How many kms have you put on it so far? The springs will take a long time to sag, if your that concerned maybe buy some Eibachs.

MazdaMike02
11-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Refer to your Maintenance Schedule and you will find that most of which they try to sell you, you do actually need according to Mazda. Also just about anything suspension, engine, fluids have a scheduled interval for replacement. Theres always someone who can do it cheaper. If you want it done cheaper, shouldn't have gone to the dealer in the first place.

Also Technicians, not Mechanics. Techncians diagnose, and understand why the part failed. A Mechanic is just a glorified parts changer.

MazdaMike02
11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
One last thing. If your not using the recommended oil or better, according to Mazda your not going to get the advertised fuel economy. Mazda uses Petro Canada 0w20, honestly its okay. Its actually meets minimum standards. I would upgrade to a better synthetic. Mazda now carries Castrol Edge Professional (not sold retail), its reasonably priced. According to Castrol it outperforms Mobil 1, but they also didn't compare it to Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline.

funkdupspeed3
11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
The suspension should already be settled. How many kms have you put on it so far? The springs will take a long time to sag, if your that concerned maybe buy some Eibachs.

car has 1500km

narindra
11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
ive had my 2013 GS-SKY for about 3.5 months now im at 2,900km on the odom. i drive a lot of city(almost all city to be honest, work is really close to me) and im averaging about 400km a tank, in almost all city driving how normal is that ? are you city drivers doing any better ?

Jenuine
11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
ive had my 2013 GS-SKY for about 3.5 months now im at 2,900km on the odom. i drive a lot of city(almost all city to be honest, work is really close to me) and im averaging about 400km a tank, in almost all city driving how normal is that ? are you city drivers doing any better ?

Do you have a lead foot? :P

I do mostly city driving, probably 80% and get about 600km a tank. When I do more highway driving, I get about 700km+ a tank.

Most I ever got was doing almost all highway driving, I was at 215km and only used a quarter tank.

Aitch
11-13-2013, 10:59 PM

500 on a good tank but about 70% city drivin, short trips.

narindra
11-14-2013, 07:56 PM
that seems normal for highway, don't know how that possible in city unless your driving like a turtle lol. the first 3 squares account for more liters then the others do because of the way the tank is shaped. And i have no idea to be honest. some times i do no highway driving on a tank. but when i do go highway i do ok.

narindra
11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
shit, i failed to mention i dont drive the car all the way to the point the warning comes on, but still close. i suppose taking that into consideration im right on point :D woot

Jenuine
11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
that seems normal for highway, don't know how that possible in city unless your driving like a turtle lol. the first 3 squares account for more liters then the others do because of the way the tank is shaped. And i have no idea to be honest. some times i do no highway driving on a tank. but when i do go highway i do ok.

Lol I don't drive like a turtle, but kind of hard to drive fast when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic during my morning and evening commute :P I'm just easy on the braking, I try to cruise as much as I can.

Dubwize
11-15-2013, 08:35 AM
To chime in. On my 2012 Sky (17000km) Never get lower then 550 on a tank, avg about 600-625, and highway over 700. My commute takes me across the city on the 401 so my avg might be a little higher as it's a 70% highway commute.

chao_zu55
11-22-2013, 07:50 AM
I've had my car for just over a year now... the BEST i squeezed out of it was JUST over 700km. I'm hitting about 600-650km per tank from completely full to light come on.

I do about 80% hwy driving
2012 sky gs
28000km on it

... not getting 1000km again.

chao_zu55
11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm also finding that the first 25% i can do about 230km. from 50-75% about 175km, 25-50% about 90km and the last 25% about 125.. till i feel really unfomfortable driving with the light on.

greyseason
11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
nobody has gotten 1000km yet on this forum, im shooting for that next summer.

Remember this is the winter season now. Crappier gas, more dense air, winter tires all play a role on MPG. I went from 850-900km a tank to 650km. Just the way it is

funkdupspeed3
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I still have yet to get 600km to a tank and i dont drive hard or have a heavy foot. This is so disappointing as I traded in my speed to get better gas mileage. I'm hoping this improves after my first oil change. I have 2178km on the odo.

chao_zu55
11-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Lucky you, I've had my sky for just over a year and I've only see 7xx once in the past year... i'm averaging about 600-650 a tank

greyseason
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I still have yet to get 600km to a tank and i dont drive hard or have a heavy foot. This is so disappointing as I traded in my speed to get better gas mileage. I'm hoping this improves after my first oil change. I have 2178km on the odo.

are you all highway this past summer?

funkdupspeed3
11-22-2013, 09:54 AM
I just picked up the car in october brand new from the dealer. I drive a mix of city and hwy, mostly city though.

are you all highway this past summer?

r4mi5awi
11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Check your tire pressures. I've noticed awhile back my dealership deflates them to 32 PSI only for me to fill them back up to 36 PSI as stated on the driver door sill. Hopefully next time I won't forget to tell them not to check tire pressure.

funkdupspeed3
11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I did not even think of that. Thanks for the info and I will top up my tires with air if needed.

Check your tire pressures. I've noticed awhile back my dealership deflates them to 32 PSI only for me to fill them back up to 36 PSI as stated on the driver door sill. Hopefully next time I won't forget to tell them not to check tire pressure.

Scott Campbell
11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
I`m getting over 700 all city. And from fill up, to the light bieng on for over 300 kms, 1191kms before I filled up again doing a trip to the cottage and back.
Speed affects alot, I find about 100-105 to be a good gas sipping speed. I try not to overtake or keep the power up, I let it drop to 1500 rpm and think of all the speeding tickets I used to get in the RX8.

funkdupspeed3
11-22-2013, 01:00 PM
My next question is, did anyones gas mileage improve after the first oil change on a new sky?

greyseason
11-22-2013, 01:49 PM
My next question is, did anyones gas mileage improve after the first oil change on a new sky?

Sure does. Mine goes down as I get closer to yr 8009km than up again after my oil change

greyseason
11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
I`m getting over 700 all city. And from fill up, to the light bieng on for over 300 kms, 1191kms before I filled up again doing a trip to the cottage and back.

Sweet Jesus! Did you take a picture?!

DouggyD
11-22-2013, 01:53 PM
still on my first tank form the dealer, so not a good sample, but I am hoping to get 500 kms on my first tank. All city driving. Not sure this is a great car for the city, think the great mileage numbers are more for highway driving... We'll see how it goes after the first oil change...

funkdupspeed3
11-22-2013, 02:08 PM
I got 468km on my first tank from the dealer.

still on my first tank form the dealer, so not a good sample, but I am hoping to get 500 kms on my first tank. All city driving. Not sure this is a great car for the city, think the great mileage numbers are more for highway driving... We'll see how it goes after the first oil change...

r4mi5awi
11-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Got to 618km in last night's tank. Pushed 10-20km after last bar disappeared. Drive 70% highway and with no care in improving gas mileage (110-130km on highway, high revs in stop and go traffic, overtaking). This, with regular use of a remote car starter idling for 8-10 mins at a time. In my case there's lots to improve, however my patience gets the best of me every time. I can definitely see how other users mileages are significantly better however I get the feeling everyone's proud to post their highest and not their weekly day to day average.

Forgot to mention: I average around 570km/tank. That's fine with me lol

greyseason
11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
im averaging 32mpg still in the winter according to fuelly :) so im happy.

Wait til drift season :(

drsergen
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I have a Mazda 3GS with skyactive and did 416km with a full tank. I took this pic right after filling up before i reset the meter http://i.imgur.com/fqgB9sr.jpg
I talked with some people on the reddit Mazda page and it seems like im not getting as much out of a tank as i should, i wanted to get some local input maybe this is due to the weather and running the car a bit to warm up. also some times i go a little fast on the 401 i dont know how much of an affect that would have.

This is my first car so i really know nothing about this stuff, I've been driving for years but have never owned my own car, any insight would be helpful.
i made a post to try and get some help but it was closed
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?74549-Gas-Milage

CanadianBob
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM
2013 GS SkyActive, purchased Dec 2013. 4000km in so far. Best reading yet is 700km (that was on my last tank of gas). I drivem mostly hwy and some city. Averaging 650km right now. Someone says the engine has to break (sometime after first oil change) before getting optimal mileage.

Alot depends on idling, acceleration, city v.s. hwy and, of course, your right foot. I do speed limits mostly (maybe 5-10 over at most). I tick people off on the hwy cause I put cruise on a 100km/hr or 80km/hr. If im going somewhere, I will get there 10-20 minutes slower than anyone else but I don't care, my future retirement savings is more important to me. Another place I will get to eventually, hopefully alot richer from all the money I save on gas!!!!

However, there was one week where I drove 20km/hr over all speed limits and found that the gas mileage was significantly worse than usual; I just squeezed 600km out of that tank. I always fill up at Shell.

funkdupspeed3
03-04-2014, 02:09 PM
my best tank was 604km and that was with driving around til there was no bars left lol. My sky only have 6000kms and hoping the mileage improves in the spring/summer. I average about 475-500km/tank this winter. Ive had my first oil change and have not moticed a real difference as of yet. I bought a sky to save on fuel. At this rate, i shouldve kept my speed lol

greyseason
03-04-2014, 02:28 PM
So many low km on the odo:( I think I got my best mileage when the car was still brand-new but all,your guys numbers will increase with the warmer weather and better gas

funkdupspeed3
03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
By better gas you mean not the crappy winter gas petro has lol?

So many low km on the odo:( I think I got my best mileage when the car was still brand-new but all,your guys numbers will increase with the warmer weather and better gas

CanadianBob
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
...I average about 475-500km/tank this winter....

Do you drive mostly city? Does your care idle alot? Do you let the car idle every morning on warm up - if so - for how many minutes? All of these things have to be considered as part of your daily driving routine and mileage.

I do mostly hwy (60km per day) and I don't let the car warm up, I just start it and drive.

I traded in a mazda 6 which got around 500km on a full tank (65 litre). I loved the M6 but needed something more fuel efficient. M3 has a smaller tank and is definately getting better mileage than the 6 - hands down.

CanadianBob
03-04-2014, 03:55 PM
...I average about 475-500km/tank this winter....

Do you drive mostly city? Does your care idle alot? Do you let the car idle every morning on warm up - if so - for how many minutes? All of these things have to be considered as part of your daily driving routine and mileage.

I do mostly hwy (60km per day) and I don't let the car warm up, I just start it and drive.

I traded in a mazda 6 which got around 500km on a full tank (65 litre). I loved the M6 but needed something more fuel efficient. M3 has a smaller tank and is definately getting better mileage than the 6 - hands down.

greyseason
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM
By better gas you mean not the crappy winter gas petro has lol?

All gas companies run a winter blend gasoline in the late fall I believe which is better for the colder temps, but you get less,mileage out of a tank.

bilinz
03-04-2014, 10:00 PM
I do on average about 450-500 mostly city but in the summer I was doing about 550-600. Can't wait for that warmth!

my best tank was 604km and that was with driving around til there was no bars left lol. My sky only have 6000kms and hoping the mileage improves in the spring/summer. I average about 475-500km/tank this winter. Ive had my first oil change and have not moticed a real difference as of yet. I bought a sky to save on fuel. At this rate, i shouldve kept my speed lol

CanadianBob
05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I finally hit 8k and had the first oil change over the weekend; but it didn't matter.

I was averaging about 700km a tank since April (which is far better than any other car I owned). Seems to have gotten better once the weather started getting warmer.

Less time needed for the car to warm-up and less ethanol ingredient in the fuel - maybe?

Reddie1337
05-18-2014, 12:32 PM
I've only had my car maybe a month now, but it had 76000 on it when I got it, I'm about to roll 80000 and these are my numbers so far.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/reddie1337/3-skyactiv

JonathanB
05-21-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm averaging 6.9L/100km with 60% highway and 40% city.

CanadianBob
05-21-2014, 01:26 PM
169? The stop & go traffic must have been insane.

spham23
06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
I've been driving about 5,000 km since my first oil change and haven't noticed any significant improvements. 650-750 km per tank usually

kasakato
09-01-2014, 09:18 PM
After the first few tanks my numbers stabilized. Hopefully they start downwards again after some more use.

JonathanB
10-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I always fill up at a 1/4 tank, and my best tank so far was 686.6 km (mostly highway). I filled up 38.4 L, so my mileage was 42.1 MPG or 5.6 L/100 km. If I continued to run the car to empty, I could've squeezed out another 300 km at those fuel economy numbers. Pretty impressive. Fuel economy is affected by so many factors, some of which are not in your control. It's pretty obvious what you can control though - speed, hard acceleration and braking, etc.

For you speeders, consider this the next time you're on the highway. Assuming you're driving 25 km to your destination, you'll cut just 2 minutes of your travel time going 120 km/h versus 100 km/h, but you'll use about 20% more fuel. If you did that every day, the cost would add up quickly. It's not worth the time savings at all, even though you "feel" you're getting there a lot faster. Source: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/cars-light-trucks/fuel-efficient-driving-techniques/7513

Reddie1337
10-04-2014, 08:09 AM
I always fill up at a 1/4 tank, and my best tank so far was 686.6 km (mostly highway). I filled up 38.4 L, so my mileage was 42.1 MPG or 5.6 L/100 km. If I continued to run the car to empty, I could've squeezed out another 300 km at those fuel economy numbers. Pretty impressive. Fuel economy is affected by so many factors, some of which are not in your control. It's pretty obvious what you can control though - speed, hard acceleration and braking, etc.

For you speeders, consider this the next time you're on the highway. Assuming you're driving 25 km to your destination, you'll cut just 2 minutes of your travel time going 120 km/h versus 100 km/h, but you'll use about 20% more fuel. If you did that every day, the cost would add up quickly. It's not worth the time savings at all, even though you "feel" you're getting there a lot faster. Source: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/cars-light-trucks/fuel-efficient-driving-techniques/7513

I'm not so sure. This past weekend, I did a trip to Niagara and Wonderland both starting from Oakville and returning each day. I drove around 115 on the highway with 4 adults in the car. I used less than half a tank to go 425 KM, which is better than my regular average driving around when it's just me. I was quite surprised that I got that driving faster and with more people in the car.

I understand that cars work better at different speeds, but I feel like my Skyactiv with 6 spd, if I leave it in 6th and cruise at 100, the car has way more load on it when it goes up a hill (Cruise set). If I am driving at a higher speed, it doesn't have to work as hard or place as much of a load on the engine, in turn you use less fuel.

JonathanB
10-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not so sure. This past weekend, I did a trip to Niagara and Wonderland both starting from Oakville and returning each day. I drove around 115 on the highway with 4 adults in the car. I used less than half a tank to go 425 KM, which is better than my regular average driving around when it's just me. I was quite surprised that I got that driving faster and with more people in the car.

I understand that cars work better at different speeds, but I feel like my Skyactiv with 6 spd, if I leave it in 6th and cruise at 100, the car has way more load on it when it goes up a hill (Cruise set). If I am driving at a higher speed, it doesn't have to work as hard or place as much of a load on the engine, in turn you use less fuel.

It's possible. I'm not so sure either. I find the digital fuel gauge to be inconsistent though. I use it as a guideline only. I'm averaging 6.9 L/100 km, so I average 66.4 km per bar (12 bars on the fuel gauge). Right now, I have just over 100 km on my trip odometer, but my fuel gauge is showing full bars. That's definitely BS because I haven't done any highway driving on this tank yet. I should be down at least one bar, if not two. Even if it was all highway driving on this tank so far, the gauge would still be inaccurate displaying full bars. As I mentioned in my previous post, my best tank was 5.6 L/100 km mostly highway driving; I would get 81.8 km per bar at these numbers. Even at this mileage, my fuel gauge should be down one bar.

Reddie1337
10-05-2014, 06:42 AM
I have tracked the bar somewhat with my scan tool (shows fuel percentage) and the bars don't always add up, I normally get 100 k to first bar, even driving city. It all depends on driving style. I find that the first bar normally disappears around 85% (when the percentage is consistently under 85%) the percentage jumps around because the fuel is constantly moving when driving. I find 3/4 and 1/2 are normally right around 75% and 50% respectively. So I don't think the gauge is lying. It also depends on the evap system letting you fill up, if you fill slower, you can get more gas in the tank before the pump auto shuts off. (Pressure doesn't build as quickly that way, and I'm not saying it's good to fill the charcoal canister with gas, just saying it can be done)

Reddie1337
10-05-2014, 07:42 AM
I have tracked the bar somewhat with my scan tool (shows fuel percentage) and the bars don't always add up, I normally get 100 k to first bar, even driving city. It all depends on driving style. I find that the first bar normally disappears around 85% (when the percentage is consistently under 85%) the percentage jumps around because the fuel is constantly moving when driving. I find 3/4 and 1/2 are normally right around 75% and 50% respectively. So I don't think the gauge is lying. It also depends on the evap system letting you fill up, if you fill slower, you can get more gas in the tank before the pump auto shuts off. (Pressure doesn't build as quickly that way, and I'm not saying it's good to fill the charcoal canister with gas, just saying it can be done)

CanadianBob
10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I found that if I go all out empty (gauge says 50km or less on the current tank) and its fill up time - the gas pump stops around 47-48 litres. I wait a second and continue (a few times) and push it to about 52-53 litres.

This gets me shy of 800km on a full tank (like 790 ish). I fill up every two weeks roughly because thats how many km I put on in that time - consistently.

The first bar in the fuel gauge doesn't change until after 300km. After that, I get 250km in the first half and a little less in the second.

Best fuel mileage I have ever seen in a 4 cylinder.

Dreamliner
02-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Sorry to bump the thread but I have to chime in. Having owned my 2012 Sky for almost 3 weeks I am getting Fuelly numbers in the range of 8.5 to 8.9 L/100km (only 3 fill ups so far). Those numbers are terrible IMO and I don't know what's wrong. I am running winter tires at about 31-32psi all around, I don't drive it hard, and I rarely use the front defrost (ie. A/C). My commute is about 60km daily with the morning commute being about an average speed of 90km/h and in the evening it's a bit slower (this tank I've been doing 409 to 401 to 400 to 407 and then taking hwy 7 from Keele). Right now I'm at about 360KM with about 6 bars remaining (2 before the 1/4 tank level). Most of the driving is just myself (150lbs) so there isn't any weight in the car. Does this sound reasonable for winter? I filled up last Sunday and have been driving very conservatively.

The car has 53,000KM (I bought it at 51617) so the only thing I'm thinking is the air filter may need to be replaced. I've meant to check it but between work and it being too damn cold I haven't had the chance. When I had it in at Airport Mazda (I wanted to make sure I had fresh, synthetic oil they didn't say anything so maybe it's ok.

Reddie1337
02-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Sorry to bump the thread but I have to chime in. Having owned my 2012 Sky for almost 3 weeks I am getting Fuelly numbers in the range of 8.5 to 8.9 L/100km (only 3 fill ups so far). Those numbers are terrible IMO and I don't know what's wrong. I am running winter tires at about 31-32psi all around, I don't drive it hard, and I rarely use the front defrost (ie. A/C). My commute is about 60km daily with the morning commute being about an average speed of 90km/h and in the evening it's a bit slower (this tank I've been doing 409 to 401 to 400 to 407 and then taking hwy 7 from Keele). Right now I'm at about 360KM with about 6 bars remaining (2 before the 1/4 tank level). Most of the driving is just myself (150lbs) so there isn't any weight in the car. Does this sound reasonable for winter? I filled up last Sunday and have been driving very conservatively.

The car has 53,000KM (I bought it at 51617) so the only thing I'm thinking is the air filter may need to be replaced. I've meant to check it but between work and it being too damn cold I haven't had the chance. When I had it in at Airport Mazda (I wanted to make sure I had fresh, synthetic oil they didn't say anything so maybe it's ok.

Six bars remaining should be half a tank.
The PSI in the tires will also help because if you look in the door it calls for 36psi all around.
8.5L/100k in the winter isn't terrible on these cars.
If you use floor and defrost that will also kick the AC on, without any lights.
Dreamliner

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2012/Reddie1337/284873/fuelchart

Aitch
02-15-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not doing fuelly at the moment but I'm getting less than 400km/tank right now, mostly very short city trips. The weather is killer.

Dreamliner
02-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Six bars remaining should be half a tank.
The PSI in the tires will also help because if you look in the door it calls for 36psi all around.
8.5L/100k in the winter isn't terrible on these cars.
If you use floor and defrost that will also kick the AC on, without any lights.
Dreamliner

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2012/Reddie1337/284873/fuelchart

I am one bar below half a tank, so a total of 5 bars (I got confused and thought each quarter was 4 bars, not 3). Yes, I am well aware that the A/C kicks on when the defrost modes are used and I try to use those modes only when necessary and for short periods. When I get a chance, I'll up the pressure in the tires to around 34-35psi and see how it feels. I don't like to put my pressures too high and I don't like the hard ride it gives.

unknown
02-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I am one bar below half a tank, so a total of 5 bars (I got confused and thought each quarter was 4 bars, not 3). Yes, I am well aware that the A/C kicks on when the defrost modes are used and I try to use those modes only when necessary and for short periods. When I get a chance, I'll up the pressure in the tires to around 34-35psi and see how it feels. I don't like to put my pressures too high and I don't like the hard ride it gives.

The 2012 Mazda 3 manual also has this verbiage about the recommended psi for snow/winter tires on page 4-10.

Snow Tires
Use snow tires on all four wheels
Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
while driving with snow tires. Inflate
snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
more than recommended on the tire
pressure label (driver's door frame), but
never more than the maximum

Dreamliner
02-18-2015, 10:49 AM
The 2012 Mazda 3 manual also has this verbiage about the recommended psi for snow/winter tires on page 4-10.

Snow Tires
Use snow tires on all four wheels
Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
while driving with snow tires. Inflate
snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
more than recommended on the tire
pressure label (driver's door frame), but
never more than the maximum

I put about 33-34psi in my snow-tires on Monday (I need to check the pressure after they sit for a few hours). As for the manual stating 30psi, that's what I believe the tire pressure label recommends for all-seasons. The part about 4.3psi more than the label is confusing (how can 30psi be 4.3psi more than recommended)?

This morning I filled up and fuelly indicated my mileage to be 8.5L/100km.

unknown
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I put about 33-34psi in my snow-tires on Monday (I need to check the pressure after they sit for a few hours). As for the manual stating 30psi, that's what I believe the tire pressure label recommends for all-seasons. The part about 4.3psi more than the label is confusing (how can 30psi be 4.3psi more than recommended)?

This morning I filled up and fuelly indicated my mileage to be 8.5L/100km.

Oh, it's the different units that is confusing. They say inflate snow tires 30kPa (kilopascals I believe which they say is equivalent to 4.3psi) more than the plate on the drivers door frame says. I don't have a 2012 sky but the manual on page 10-11 shows the tire size as P205/55R16 89H and recommended inflation pressure of 36psi. So, basically they are trying to say inflate your tires to about 40-41psi for snow tires.

Dreamliner
02-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Oh, it's the different units that is confusing. They say inflate snow tires 30kPa (kilopascals I believe which they say is equivalent to 4.3psi) more than the plate on the drivers door frame says. I don't have a 2012 sky but the manual on page 10-11 shows the tire size as P205/55R16 89H and recommended inflation pressure of 36psi. So, basically they are trying to say inflate your tires to about 40-41psi for snow tires.

Ah, 30hPa not psi. Based on Google 4.3psi is equal to that. However, I will say that at 40-41psi your going to be banging around like crazy when you hit bumps. Even at 35psi I find the ride is a bit too solid for my liking. Generally my rule is 33-36psi year around (A/S or Winters). Of course, the higher the PSI the less resistance so that probably explains how people get 5.7L/100km. Feeling like I've got solid steel for tires isn't worth the extra 1-2L extra.

unknown
02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Ah, 30hPa not psi. Based on Google 4.3psi is equal to that. However, I will say that at 40-41psi your going to be banging around like crazy when you hit bumps. Even at 35psi I find the ride is a bit too solid for my liking. Generally my rule is 33-36psi year around (A/S or Winters). Of course, the higher the PSI the less resistance so that probably explains how people get 5.7L/100km. Feeling like I've got solid steel for tires isn't worth the extra 1-2L extra.

Hmm, I'm running at 39-40psi and the ride seems fine though I did come from a old vehicle with worn suspension. And of my fuelly numbers don't look good either so perhaps the tire pressure doesn't contribute that much?
5.7L/100km sounds pretty optimistic looking at the fuelly data for 2012 mazda 3's.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2012

strikaskofer
02-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I drive about 70km each way to work from Pickering to Oakville across the 401 in pretty awful traffic. I also keep my winter tires at around 39-40psi. Have been getting a pretty consistent 7.0 l/100km in my 2012 sky.

I have found that adding any significant amount of city driving kills my mileage though.

G ~ MINI
12-23-2020, 04:57 PM
I have a very high fuel consumption, so I want to switch to a more economical option. What do you advise?
https://ladadate.com/

Im sure finding a lady date and not driving decreases fuel consumption