PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky sway bar bushings front rear.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Just wanted to find out if anyone with a 2012 or 2013 MazdaSpeed3 is having noise from front and rear sway bar bushings in this cold and if there are anyone in Quebec's extreme cold having issues on a new under 2yr old SPeed3. I never had a issue for the winter of 2009/10 and for the winter of 2010/11 after 27mths and 50,000+km had rears replaced under warranty Jan 2012 and now another dealer saying its cold weather noises and they can't justify replacing the non serviceable factory bushings that had no prior issues under warranty until now??

If it did not exist before and now it does means there is a problem with their non serviceable bushings in colder regions when rubber dries out and shrinks due to lack of maintenance at every oil change 4x's a year would prevent this problem if there was a service fitting! For a dealer to say bring it back when its warmer to see if problem persist or to leave it parked in the service area which is 20C and take for a test drive after is and insult to say the least.

We live in a cold region I remember no disclaimer for warranty claims due to cold or that I should only drive car in non freezing temps!

Cab0oze
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Its gonna happen eventually on any (relatively) cheap performance oriented car.... good luck fighting it.
If it grinds your gears that much I recommend investing in greasable bushings, they don't cost too much. I was going to put some on this year but I didn't end up getting around to it.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I know the website is www.energysupensionparts.com 26mm 191182 Grease able sway bar bushings $14.97 each, might try going to princess auto and finding grease nipples and tapping them into existing sway bar bushing brackets, I also heard that princess auto has a grease gun fitting that is like a needle and you can inject grease right into bushing or in between the bushing and bracket,(should be on hand at every Mazda Dealer to service the non serviceable bushings with regular service on Speeds especially ). But for an arrogant answer to come back when its warmer is total F***ing BS as I have to drive this car with wife and 4 month old baby and that noise is totally unacceptable as it did not exist before the 27 mth mark! Mazda is a Cop out and the warranty doesn't mean shit as dealer knows the problem and the solution and tells you when to come back to have it checked so they don't have to fix. Last time I checked none of us in Canada have a California climate all year round. Funny could not get a straight answer as to why is was not present before in 2009/10 and 2010/11 all I got was our winters have not been that cold LMAO I remember the best snowboarding was those years and if you google weather trends you will find we had more than enough snow and cold snaps.Then 2011/12 was shit for snow boarding and still had cold snaps and my rear bushings replaced which are still quite by the way, now 2012/13 another warm winter but still cold snaps and bushings creak in these mild winters.

I need a permanent solution to this to get the car back to the way it was and as usually MAZDA is no help just smart as remarks from all levels! I have a defective part as Mazda tried to make a maintenance free bushing which we know just like the maintenance free battery is not possible and the customer gets burned for the repair.

Now we know why Mazda has not made money outside their home market for over 4 years could it be customer service and not researching the actual market these cars are going to be used in hence few repeat customers! I will never buy another Mazda even though I have a growing Family Lincoln Crossover for wifey on order!

kenghk
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
What CabOoze said. The STI and Evo do it. Poly bushings make noise.....the brakes are super powerful and because of it they're dirty.....the engine makes great power but the fuel economy isn't that great.....you can't have it both ways.

SomeGuy
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Mine does it too...either going to have to service them myself when it's warmer, or try to get the dealer to do it now. All it would take is a good grease once a year to keep them quiet. I have an aftermarket RSB and have synthetic grease in the bushings and they're silent as can be.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-24-2013, 10:18 PM
What CabOoze said. The STI and Evo do it. Poly bushings make noise.....the brakes are super powerful and because of it they're dirty.....the engine makes great power but the fuel economy isn't that great.....you can't have it both ways.

Hawk HPS pads and stop tech rotors equals clean wheels and after 2 weeks looks like 1 days worth of OEM brake dust. Also no more claying paint to remove metallic rust spots on white paint and I have even better braking than stock! Not asking for much just serviceable bushings which are needed and from reading MSF even hot climate are having issue! Stock fuel economy sucks and Cobb tuned get better mileage when your not tapping into extra power! seems like you can have it both ways! Bushings dry out therefore they need to be service regularly not replaced when they become unbearable as replacing bushing every 2yrs is not practical not in service schedule, but hey allot of things are not in there from MAZDA!

kenghk
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
I feel your pain, but the car is designed a certain way from the factory and that's what you bought. You changed the brakes and claim better performance for you, but I'm sure they don't have the same feel as OE. You modify your car to suit you with a Cobb or intake but expect Mazda to provide a bushing you want. they won't wear out for several years, not 2. If you don't like the bushings, then change them to ones you like. You can't have it both ways....you should know that living in Quebec.

loki
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Sell your car

Booter22
01-24-2013, 11:15 PM
As i told you, and im sure every dealer is the same. +20 temps. everything is fine no noise no problem. 0 degrees. no noise that is noticable enough to hear. -20. you get a noise. the dealer has certain steps that need to be followed prior to replacement, other wise every dealer that just puts bushings in because of a cold noise runs the risk of a charge back and paying for the repair. the bushings will shrink. the metal will shrink and together when moving will cause noise. i gave you the option to bring the car in. we can inspect them for cracks, if there is no noticable wear on the bushings that would require them to be replaced, the vehicle then would be allowed time to warm up and road test again once warmer, if the noise was still aparent it would be lubricated, road tested for a third time and inspected after. there is a process and we as dealers will not just put bushings into the car because of cold noise. to be honest its not 100% that is even where the noise is coming from to start with. but yes there have been cases where vehicle are inspected and noted and as nothing is found or heard they are required to be told to come back at another date for inpsection.

i know this. you contacted me for a repair. why would i not tell you everything up front. so i could run the risk you come in and are upset that i didnt tell you?

i know the process. i have been there long enough to know. if you dont like how it has to be done then either fix it yourself or let me do my job to get it fixed for you in the steps i have to take to get there. suspension noise is very common in the speed brand and dates back to the protege speed. no i can not tell you now why 2+ years into the car you now get the noise. only suspect that with the -20 temps and the wear on the bushing itself has allowed enough movement to cause noise.

as noted here - http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?68760-20-out-2011-mazdaspeed3-suspension-noise&highlight=suspension+noise

this is common for these vehicles to make noise. so if you would like for me to do my job inspect the vehicle and take the steps to either repair/ replace the bushings or find out what is making the noise. let me know, but i have done everything in my power to make all of my information available to you in every way possible so you do not waste you time in going the wrong direction or being upset at any result i know may be coming.

Darkice
01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
+1 on the great advice

fywdyl
01-25-2013, 12:21 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28262021.jpg

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
front sway bar bushings,(or front left and front right suspension noise) still making audible noises going over imperfections in road on Friday Jan 25th,2013 at 2:25pm in the afternoon in Oakville Ontario at -7 showing on the dash driving at 40km/hr on south service road after car sat outside for 7hrs. I guess -7 is extreme cold too? funny the new RSB did not make noise in -18 or -20 and did not make noise today in -7. I guess anything under 0 celus is considered extreme cold?

P.S if the car did it from day one I would not say a thing and live with it but it never acted this way in extreme temps and now you have to accept it cause your car is slightly over 3yrs old but still fully in warranty and the bushings are not excluded from warranty such as wear items as wipers, brakes, clutch,tires, seat bolsters, interior carpet, leather wrap wheel and shift knob etc... John is very good and knowledgeable and quite possible he could be right that it is something totally different and not the FSB I guess we will have to wait and see what the diagnosis is.

Thrizzl3
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
mine don't make any noise because i greased them with lots of grease.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
I feel your pain, but the car is designed a certain way from the factory and that's what you bought. You changed the brakes and claim better performance for you, but I'm sure they don't have the same feel as OE. You modify your car to suit you with a Cobb or intake but expect Mazda to provide a bushing you want. they won't wear out for several years, not 2. If you don't like the bushings, then change them to ones you like. You can't have it both ways....you should know that living in Quebec.

Hi Sir hope you enjoy your brand new car with full warranty for many years to come, p.s by the way when you drive your car off the lot it is now not a new car anymore and and your new vehicle warranty or MAP really is not applicable becuase your car is not a new vehicle anymore it is used. We will try to help you out any way we can but we cannot guarantee your new vehcle warranty will be applicable as with use the car specification will change and will not be the same as new vehicle specs. We do have a GREY scale and if it is within an acceptable limit that we determine to be resonable then these changed tolerances from use wether it be DB's from tranny, play in the steering linkage, travel in suspension, engine peformance, exhaust noise, or anything else we will apply this GREY scale to it and then determine coverage! From time to time we might offer free warranty extentions on problem parts that have a higher frequency of failure but we at no point will try to resolve the underlining issues of these failures or offer replacement of said parts after the expirey even though we know a problem exits. This being said certain condition must be meet for claims under these warranty extensions or you will not qualify for these Special Service Programs.

LMAO I guess with this logic I can fully see your point of view. I guess if we all sell ourselves short Mazda might possibly pull a profit in North america if we all buy into what they think their obligations should be.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM

did you use a synthetic castrol wheel bearing greese on them and how did you apply it underneath the bushing retainers for FSB rears are easy to take remove retainers and apply and put back?

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-25-2013, 05:55 PM
So does anyone with a 2012 or 2013 model Speed3 have any issues in -18 or less?? If so or if not please state mileage and mths in service.

Thanks

kenghk
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi Sir hope you enjoy your brand new car with full warranty for many years to come, p.s by the way when you drive your car off the lot it is now not a new car anymore and and your new vehicle warranty or MAP really is not applicable becuase your car is not a new vehicle anymore it is used. We will try to help you out any way we can but we cannot guarantee your new vehcle warranty will be applicable as with use the car specification will change and will not be the same as new vehicle specs. We do have a GREY scale and if it is within an acceptable limit that we determine to be resonable then these changed tolerances from use wether it be DB's from tranny, play in the steering linkage, travel in suspension, engine peformance, exhaust noise, or anything else we will apply this GREY scale to it and then determine coverage! From time to time we might offer free warranty extentions on problem parts that have a higher frequency of failure but we at no point will try to resolve the underlining issues of these failures or offer replacement of said parts after the expirey even though we know a problem exits. This being said certain condition must be meet for claims under these warranty extensions or you will not qualify for these Special Service Programs.

LMAO I guess with this logic I can fully see your point of view. I guess if we all sell ourselves short Mazda might possibly pull a profit in North america if we all buy into what they think their obligations should be.

What? is that a letter you got from Mazda? Not sure why you quoted me.

Anyway, I fully support you in your bid to get noises you don't like covered but unless Mazda has a redesigned part, there isn't much a dealer can do for you. The solid bushing make noise, when they get cold they get harder.....this isn't the only car on the market that does this. I know you're on other MS forums, check their "mazdaspeed noises" thread, the car is full of pops, groans and binds.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
The letter, It was sarcasim lmao!! The noises were not there's until 27 mths after new, yes bushings are stiffer but if it made noise from day one then your comments are totally valid. But the bushing are Plyable and greased over time greese escapes rubber hardens on these non serviceable parts and noise start! But this is how car was designed and we have to live with it makes no sense. Mazda hopes everyone has this expectation! Some ppl are just brain dead and will believe what any tells them this is how it is supposed to be.

standsideways
01-26-2013, 04:21 PM
The letter, It was sarcasim lmao!! The noises were not there's until 27 mths after new, yes bushings are stiffer but if it made noise from day one then your comments are totally valid. But the bushing are Plyable and greased over time greese escapes rubber hardens on these non serviceable parts and noise start! But this is how car was designed and we have to live with it makes no sense. Mazda hopes everyone has this expectation! Some ppl are just brain dead and will believe what any tells them this is how it is supposed to be.

Honestly kris. Super nice guy but

Seriously man..ive gotta say..

SELL YOUR SPEED!

Darkice
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
+1 lol

Flagrum_3
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM

My sway bar and link bushings were making a racket, so I just sprayed some T40 penetrant on them. They started clunking lol, but after about a week now, they are silent. But grease should do.

_3

standsideways
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
T40 on bushings?

Ide use some synthetic grease.

Flagrum_3
01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
T40 on bushings?

Ide use some synthetic grease.

Why not? Every year the whole underneath of my car gets sprayed with the same, including all bushings. Haven't had an issue till now with any noise and I'm still running original rear link bushings. If your going to question anything, you should question using grease on a bushing, seriously.

_3

standsideways
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Anything petroleum based is going to make your rear sway bushings swell and deteriorate over time.

Silicone grease is what should be used for the rear sway bushings.

Im not against t40 at all, the stuff is awesome. ESPECIALLY in cold weather. Sure its pricey there nice big cans, ive had one for a few years actually.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-27-2013, 10:43 PM

SELL YOUR SPEED!

Seriously you been on MSF to much. When you are told to bring car back when it is warmer like plus 0C or to have car warmed up to 20C in shop to be road tested, this does not sit right as we all bought the car in Canada and there has to be some expectation that the car will not make these noises in our Canadian winters. The bushing were fine for the first 2 years even in extreme -20 cold no noises and now I should lower my standard because the car is 3 years old and pay for a cheap fix $60 plus labor that should be a no brainier for Mazda to find a way to service them every oil change with the problem cars and no one would complain as most pay for oil changes that includes lubricating chassis but obviously with the amount of complaints from ppl who service cars at Mazda it's not done. Hey but I should sell my car right, the Canadian way of solving stuff.

cwp_sedan
01-28-2013, 12:07 AM

SELL YOUR SPEED!

Squeaky bushings = reason to sell your car. Um no. Please don't tell me it's not the only problem with the car, I can read lol.

Grease or replace the bushings. Simple as that. Since it is colder you will have more noises like mentioned above. Deal with it.

fywdyl
01-28-2013, 11:00 AM
See, the thing is, many people have suggested that Kris should grease the bushings, but instead of saying, "Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.", he just keeps complaining about the car and how it shouldn't do it blah, blah, blah.

A solution was presented, he was not satisfied, so, being the nice people that we are on TM3, we provided another solution (sell the car). We tried to help, but when it just leads to more bitching, people get tired of it.

Kris, you bought a car that's built in Japan, specifically in the Yamaguchi prefecture, where the coldest it gets is around -5C. You can't possibly expect an economically priced sports car to be tested in all conditions.

What everyone is trying to say here is, instead of worrying about every little thing that happens with the car, just enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, get a different car.

cwp_sedan
01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
See, the thing is, many people have suggested that Kris should grease the bushings, but instead of saying, "Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.", he just keeps complaining about the car and how it shouldn't do it blah, blah, blah.

A solution was presented, he was not satisfied, so, being the nice people that we are on TM3, we provided another solution (sell the car). We tried to help, but when it just leads to more bitching, people get tired of it.

Kris, you bought a car that's built in Japan, specifically in the Yamaguchi prefecture, where the coldest it gets is around -5C. You can't possibly expect an economically priced sports car to be tested in all conditions.

What everyone is trying to say here is, instead of worrying about every little thing that happens with the car, just enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, get a different car.

lol, I understand and your response couldn't have been any better.

I'm just tired of the back and forth by all parties. So here it is Kris...Research more otherwise you may find some of your threads locked lol. :)

Flagrum_3
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Kris, you bought a car that's built in Japan, specifically in the Yamaguchi prefecture, where the coldest it gets is around -5C. You can't possibly expect an economically priced sports car to be tested in all conditions.What everyone is trying to say here is, instead of worrying about every little thing that happens with the car, just enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, get a different car.

I won't say anthing to the rest of your post, but to the high lighted part -CRAP! Mazda is not new to Canada, it shouldn't matter where the car is built, Mazda was also in co-existence with Ford, whom happen to run some of the best cold weather testing around, for years. There is no excuse for the issues people are experiencing with their suspension bushings. I've owned several cars of different manufacture; North American, European and Japanese and never had issues with suspension bushings with any of them. If Mazda is aware of the issue, then as Kris mentioned earlier they should have some preventative measures in place, such as possibly lubing the bushings at each oil change. They do mention suspension lube with thier oil-changes. Either that or it should be a recall or service bulletin and the bushings should be replaced at no charge by Mazda....It is not acceptable to expect to replace bushings or to live with the noise so early. Maybe after ten years or so, Okay, but not earlier.

_3

fywdyl
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I won't say anthing to the rest of your post, but to the high lighted part -CRAP! Mazda is not new to Canada, it shouldn't matter where the car is built, Mazda was also in co-existence with Ford, whom happen to run some of the best cold weather testing around, for years. There is no excuse for the issues people are experiencing with their suspension bushings. I've owned several cars of different manufacture; North American, European and Japanese and never had issues with suspension bushings with any of them. If Mazda is aware of the issue, then as Kris mentioned earlier they should have some preventative measures in place, such as possibly lubing the bushings at each oil change. They do mention suspension lube with thier oil-changes. Either that or it should be a recall or service bulletin and the bushings should be replaced at no charge by Mazda....It is not acceptable to expect to replace bushings or to live with the noise so early. Maybe after ten years or so, Okay, but not earlier.

_3

You just further proved my point. If you're not happy with what Mazda is doing, either take it up with them or sell the car.

Ryan, lock thread, so I can retire undefeated ;)

standsideways
01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Research more otherwise you may find some of your threads locked lol. :)

this^^^

kris heres some research for ya.

Mercedes benz
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/383038-suspension-noise-during-cold-weather.html

Chevrolet
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/horrible-front-end-noise-cold-weather-145111/

Jaguar
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/suspension-noise-cold-weather-61738/

Acura
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796811

Jeep
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/cold-weather-suspension-noise-126689/

Ford
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2013-f-150/434455-cold-weather-suspension-noise.html

Every forum has these threads... Literally EVERY CAR FORUM.

Range rover
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/45365-2013-rrs-s-c-suspension-noise-cold-weather.html

Lexus
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/101738-suspension-noise-in-cold-weather.html

Cab0oze
01-28-2013, 12:45 PM
^^^ Case closed.

Flagrum_3
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
You just further proved my point. If you're not happy with what Mazda is doing, either take it up with them or sell the car.

Ryan, lock thread, so I can retire undefeated ;)

How did I prove your point? By proving you wrong in part of your statement? ....LOL.

_3

Hyperion
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
To a few of you in this thread....and on this board.

http://i.imgur.com/P7VlSHn.gif
http://i.imgur.com/JPzeeH8.gif

fywdyl
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
To you sir, refer to avatar.

<--

How did I prove your point? By proving you wrong in part of your statement? ....LOL.

_3

What part of what I said was wrong?

That the cars are made in Yamaguchi? That's a fact.

That Yamaguchi has lows of around -5C? That's a fact.

That the MS3 is an economically priced sports car? That's a fact.

My point is (I will make it BOLD so it's more clear), IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH THE VEHICLE, GET RID OF IT.

Enough derailment, un-subbed.

2012speed3
01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
For 30k the MS3 is a bargain, it's not perfect but it is what it is..... take it or leave it.

Flagrum_3
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
To you sir, refer to avatar.

<--

What part of what I said was wrong?

That the cars are made in Yamaguchi? That's a fact.

That Yamaguchi has lows of around -5C? That's a fact.

That the MS3 is an economically priced sports car? That's a fact.

My point is (I will make it BOLD so it's more clear), IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH THE VEHICLE, GET RID OF IT.

Enough derailment, un-subbed.

How about the part; "You can't possibly expect an economically priced sports car to be tested in all conditions." ....Funny how you cut out the part that you know I was referring too....This is a total bull statement. I think you have been derailed, not I. Oh and I don't think the 3 is classified a Sports car either, lol.

Also, your point is simply a defeatist attitude, so as you believe, if a manufacturer builds an inferior product, which the unsuspecting buyer paid full price for, one should just ignore the faults, sell the product and move on, no doubt costing the owner even more? ...yeah, Okay.

_3

cwp_sedan
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Enough with the balls out statements boys. I don't care who is right or wrong at this point. You've both said your bit so move along.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM

actually was never trying to find out how to fix it read post #16, I know how to fix it the rears were replaced Jan 2012 warranty I was trying to find out if 1 or 2 yr old speeds were having this issue and the majority of those cars are not!!
Another reverse engineering solution for Mazda

Part Number: 9.11104
Product Name: Formula 5 Prelube 8oz. Tub
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $10.99
--------------------------
Part Number: 191182
Product Name: Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings - 26MM - B
Quantity: 4
Unit Price: $14.97
> > > Color : Red
Order Total : $70.87

If was NEVER about how to fix it, it was more about why regular servicing does not address this issue and why issue was not there when under 27mths old PERIOD! Thanks everyone that made suggestion and stated if their 2012/13 Speed was making this noise.

THANK-YOU for Post #29 everyone else missed the point!!!!

Please re-read post #1

grobar
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
actually was never trying to find out how to fix it read post #16, I know how to fix it the rears were replaced Jan 2012 warranty I was trying to find out if 1 or 2 yr old speeds were having this issue and the majority of those cars are not!!
Another reverse engineering solution for Mazda

Part Number: 9.11104
Product Name: Formula 5 Prelube 8oz. Tub
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $10.99
Part Number: 191182
Product Name: Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings - 26MM - B
Quantity: 4
Unit Price: $14.97
> > > Color : Red
Order Total : $70.87

If was NEVER about how to fix it, it was more about why regular servicing does not address this issue and why issue was not there when under 27mths old PERIOD! Thanks everyone that made suggestion and stated if their 2012/13 Speed was making this noise.

THANK-YOU for Post #29 everyone else missed the point!!!!

Please re-read post #1

I know what you are talking about.I bought my 2010.speed3 in 09/2009. while I was still in Winnipeg and had same problem.With bad response from Mazda it took me almost 3 years to fix the problem.The fact is that those bushings shrink during cold weather and get worn.When it is warm,there is no noise.Anyway,Mazda has issued a service bulletin addressing the issue.I've done it on my car and seems to be working.Job was done at Westown Mazda at 5511 Dundas.I don't have the SB number but I'm sure service guys know about it.If your car is under warranty there is no cost for you except 4 wheel alignment.Hope this helps you.