PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Canada supports Sigma Racing Time Attack!

standsideways
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
http://en.media.mazda.ca/2013-02-09-Mazda-Canada-Grows-Grassroots-Contingency-Programs-for-Canadian-Motorsports-in-2013

Awesome news, this should pull all the mazdas to SRTA!

This stuff makes me proud to own a Mazda, what other manufacturer supports racing like Mazda? NONE!

sjd
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
This is fantastic news! I can see the appeal of Sigma to Mazda. Now, let's see a longer series schedule with Shannonville added to the mix.

CH0SiiN1
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
:thumbsup Mazda Canada

zzz3
02-11-2013, 11:39 PM
so are they going to subsidize SRTA fees for mazda owners?

Kiyomi
02-11-2013, 11:40 PM
so are they going to subsidize SRTA fees for mazda owners?

im assuming u have to win or place well to get supported/sponsored.

MPS
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
and at the same time hand over your cars warranty

boyracer
02-12-2013, 10:04 AM

lol

CelestSpeed3
02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
http://en.media.mazda.ca/2013-02-09-Mazda-Canada-Grows-Grassroots-Contingency-Programs-for-Canadian-Motorsports-in-2013

Awesome news, this should pull all the mazdas to SRTA!

This stuff makes me proud to own a Mazda, what other manufacturer supports racing like Mazda? NONE!

So does this mean you are going to come out to Sigma?

standsideways
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Well see paul, this year im not concerned about being competitive at all,honestly i wanna get out with the other speed guys and have some fun so ill probably just try and tag along with you guys if possible.

my buddy that was out last year was was scared of his car and paranoid as could be. It really made the whole season a hassle being around him all year hearing nothing but complaints and paranoia.

Fobio
02-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Here's an brief explanation from SRTA and Mazda Canada:

"The highest placed, 2nd highest placed, and 3rd highest placed Mazda racers in either of your two classes, in any SRTA-organized race event, and who meets eligibility requirements, at one of your (maximum) 5 SRTA events in 2013 can earn contingency as follows:

1st highest - $150
2nd highest - $75
3rd highest - $50"

Please share this with your membership as you see fit, and urge them to meet eligibility requirements by registering and adhering to decal requirements at:

http://mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/registration.htm

This means, Mazda racers don't necessary have to be any of the top 3 places at an SRTA race. The Mazda contingency payout is a race amongst the Mazda racers and the payout is guaranteed at every SRTA race. For BOTH Classes A and B!

SRTA will publicly announce this on our site and various forums once we're ready to officially kick off the season. Hopefully this can really provide some incentives support to our Mazda racers, and don't forget the regular SRTA payout!

standsideways
02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Wow! Not bad!

loki
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
title fixed

MajesticBlueNTO
02-12-2013, 04:56 PM
This means, Mazda racers don't necessary have to be any of the top 3 places at an SRTA race. The Mazda contingency payout is a race amongst the Mazda racers and the payout is guaranteed at every SRTA race. For BOTH Classes A and B!

aside from lazor86, hopefully some more regular 3 guys come out.

As long as a regular 3 does not use R Compounds, they will be in Class B and will not be grouped with the MS3's and RX-7's ... they will, however, have to battle the Miata... specifically sjd's Miata :)

Fack_Dude
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
lol

lolx2

Fobio
02-12-2013, 05:10 PM

lol

lolx2

you guys are funny...since none of you qualifies for any sort of warranty work other than maybe on your windshield wipers...lol...

MPS
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
what are you talking about my car is stock

MPS
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
what are you talking about my car is stock

its my windshield wipers that are not stock

breakfasteatre
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
you guys are funny...since none of you qualifies for any sort of warranty work other than maybe on your windshield wipers...lol...

and none of them track, so, irrelevant

sjd
02-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I have been a member of Mazdaspeed Motorsports since 2003 when I had my modified Protege5 that I competed with. I have since registered my 2006 MX-5, my 2007 MS6 and now my 2010 MX-5. Never once have I been asked for my VIN nor have I been denied any warranty work. Admittedly I have never had any of my mods cause a failure.

breakfasteatre
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
signed up, as i now have actual race results :)

boyracer
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Hahaha True, very true. Then again you never know. 2 years ago I wasn't going to mod the speed...... we all know how that worked out.

breakfasteatre
02-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Hahaha True, very true. Then again you never know. 2 years ago I wasn't going to mod the speed...... we all know how that worked out.

simon, you NEED to do track school, at the very least :)

boyracer
02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
simon, you NEED to do track school, at the very least :)

In all honesty, it has crossed my mind several times the past week, after Vince & I spoke last week. We touched on the subject of tracking.

sjd
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Sigma schedule is out. I'll miss the DDT though, even if it is beat up I love the elevation changes.

Saturday May 11, 2013 - Shannonville
Sunday June 30, 2013 - TMP
Sunday July 28, 2013 - TMP
Sunday August 25, 2013 - Shannonville

2012speed3
02-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna try to run these this year. What do entry fee's cost?

Fubawu
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
I will be out to most of these! Looking forward to Shannonville.

Fack_Dude
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Who are you? Mario Andretti Jr Jr now...lol

Lloyd
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
I will be out to most of these! Looking forward to Shannonville.

Yeah, I may try and go to the May event - SMP is a great track and I still suck at it.

Apparently I will need to buy some Mazda badges for the car first though :)

breakfasteatre
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Who are you? Mario Andretti Jr Jr now...lol

i am neil's humble apprentice

CelestSpeed3
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
TM3 should have a real track presence this year at Sigma. I'm trying to do the same for CASC but the "organizers" keep ignoring me. Whatever it will be their loss.

2012speed3
02-21-2013, 09:46 PM
TM3 should have a real track presence this year at Sigma. I'm trying to do the same for CASC but the "organizers" keep ignoring me. Whatever it will be their loss.

I've been browsing the CASC forums and the rules seem pretty strict. From what I understand the seat/harness I just bought is not approved for CASC time attack competition and I'm not sure if that applies to autocross also. Doesn't look like I'll be doing any CASC events this year.

standsideways
02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
remember that corbeau's "legal" section basically says there seats are for show.

and there new FIA approved seats are ONLY available in carbon/kevlar and are new shapes especially the back of the seat.(ie there current range could not pass FIA)

without a proper seat back brace i would not consider myself safe in a non FIA corbeau.

CelestSpeed3
03-03-2013, 01:08 AM
I've been browsing the CASC forums and the rules seem pretty strict. From what I understand the seat/harness I just bought is not approved for CASC time attack competition and I'm not sure if that applies to autocross also. Doesn't look like I'll be doing any CASC events this year.

I'm trying to get all of this sorted out with CASC. I told the, the rules are not new comer friendly and that is why they don't get the attendance they deserve.

Send me a PM with your seat and harness info and I'll what we can work out.

sjd
03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm trying to get all of this sorted out with CASC. I told the, the rules are not new comer friendly and that is why they don't get the attendance they deserve.

Send me a PM with your seat and harness info and I'll what we can work out.

They will not change. I was Vice President of the CASC for a brief time and all I saw was an organization that is resistant to change and stuck in a "That's the way its always been done" mindset. There are some great people and a great history in the CASC but in order for them to survive and flourish they need to be run as a business which is impossible as a volunteer organization.

CelestSpeed3
03-03-2013, 09:22 PM
I feel like a jerk stirring up all the stuff over there in the last 2 weeks. To honest it needs to be done. I honestly don't feel the friendship over there that I feel at a Sigma event. Everyone is out for their own and screw everyone else is what it feels like.

2012speed3
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I feel like a jerk stirring up all the stuff over there in the last 2 weeks. To honest it needs to be done. I honestly don't feel the friendship over there that I feel at a Sigma event. Everyone is out for their own and screw everyone else is what it feels like.

I've been lurking over in the CASC forums and I have to agree with you, I'm gonna stick to CSCS this season. I don't have the budget to conform to all the CASC rules.

Fubawu
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Guys it really is not that complicated...show up have your car teched ...takes 10 mins. If you have a seat thats not certified then you are screwed. Other
then that as long as everything is bolted down you are good to go. As for classing you don't have to worry about that. If you are classed in a higher group it really dosen't matter. That being said here is how the event works.

Morning 9 am to 12:30 is practice 20 min run groups (2-3 groups) They put all the GT2- BELOW in one group about 20 cars GT2 is typically Stockish Mazdaspeed 3 Mustang GT's etc. You will also be on the track with T cars i.e Honda Fit's CRX Miata's etc.

Gt1 and above go out on the next 20 min session. They are the faster cars higher horsepower etc.

During practice you have a transponder that records your lap times. This will determin the grid for the Time attack again GT2 and below go out together in 5 car run groups from the fastest 5 in practice to the slowest. Cars are sent out in 10-15 sec gaps one warm up lap 3 hot laps and a cool down. You never catch or see anyone on the track because of the 15 sec gap and the fact the cars are so closely matched.

This is the reason you really don't have to worry about you class as you will not have to worry about it during the Time Attack. If you feel your car is in the wrong class you can judge your times off the other groups. Really you are only driving to improve and the results are only one part of the event.

Well run easy going group...I agree the classing is odd and a bit of a matrix to figure out. If you can't figure it out just show up to the event a little early and talk to the guys.

John

Fubawu
03-03-2013, 10:33 PM
As for budget? What budget? I showed up last year with a stockish car and could have won my class if I would have completed the required events. Turbo problems kept me out
of the final weekend. I needed one more solid result.
My Set up was:
Test Pipe 1 pip
Intake 0 Pip
RSB 1 pip
HPFP 1 pip
Street tires RS3's -10 pips (They assume you will run R comps)
HP+ Pads.

Classed in GT 3. One win Mosport GP next day 2nd Mosport GP etc
You can compete without spending a ton of cash.
Let me know if you have any questions

CelestSpeed3
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
John, its the screwed part that I don't like.

For example everyone kept telling me "No you can't do that", "can't do that either", "now you this", "now you need that"

The rules just say approved, there is no pre event tech just to be sure. I would have to drive to Can Alignment to get everything inspected first. Which is not exactly close to home. No where in he rules does it say what is approved. I have conflicting info form the OTA officials, which is why I stated getting pissed off.

I would have like to hear "Paul come by and we will look at it" ten I would have dropped it.

EDIT: I didn't want to show up and get sent home. For example the video gary posted on youtube about the pre event self vehicle check. My car meets all of those requirements. The fun thing is the car in the video they are doing the tech on is not allowed to even compete in its current state. They didn't touch on any of that in the video. So being a new person I would show up, just to get sent home. Do you think that would make me want to back to a CASC event again?

I would say 95% of peoples cars will pass tech no problem. But for the 5% that's who they need to look after, because its those 5% that are attending Sigma.

sjd
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Guys it really is not that complicated...show up have your car teched ...takes 10 mins. If you have a seat thats not certified then you are screwed. Other
then that as long as everything is bolted down you are good to go. As for classing you don't have to worry about that. If you are classed in a higher group it really dosen't matter. That being said here is how the event works.

It's not that simple, I went through the same thing as Paul last year when I went to do my due dilegence regarding the roll bar in my MX-5. I jumped through hoops just like Paul only to encounter roadblock after roadblock. I have the whole email exchange with Scott Murfin and its a nightmare. They wanted me to gut my car so I could fit a roll bar instead of the two NASA and SCCA approved bolt-in options I wanted to run. Sure Chuck (OTA Director) tried to make it sound like OTA events are faster and a step above NASA and SCCA events but that's true of only one event, which is a really fast event compared to what the U.S. clubs are running and that's Mosport. They could have told me I could run, just not at Mosport. Either way, I voted with my feet and ran Sigma last year without any issues or problems.

John, its the screwed part that I don't like.

For example everyone kept telling me "No you can't do that", "can't do that either", "now you this", "now you need that"

The rules just say approved, there is no pre event tech just to be sure. I would have to drive to Can Alignment to get everything inspected first. Which is not exactly close to home. No where in he rules does it say what is approved. I have conflicting info for the OTA officials, which is why I started getting pissed off.

I would have like to hear "Paul come by and we will look at it" then I would have dropped it.

And you'll hear conflicting things all day long. I really think it is a conflict of interest that someone who has a shop to build cages is a scrutineer.

CelestSpeed3
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Even though Scott is making all my stuff "approved" I'm still going to get my Schroth stuff approved. I called the German head office so much I saved the number.

Fubawu
03-04-2013, 02:35 PM
SJD

So does that mean all bolt in bars for the Miata are x'ed? I seem to remember a few of them at Mosport?
Was there a specific problem with your bar? I find it hard to believe that all the others are running welded bars?
Does this hold true for the s2000? Which are out in force.

standsideways
03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Iirc it was the new miata specfically.

2012speed3
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Well my Corbeu FX1 is not approved and I may consider switching to a Recaro or Bride if my Rallye 4 is approved, otherwise I'll stick to Sigma.

CelestSpeed3
03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Rallye 3,4 is not approved yet. I'm already in the works with Schroth to make that happen. The Rallye3 is the better setup if you haven't bought it yet. I will be changed my tail piece from the 4 to a 3. The front sections are the same.

See here's the thing it doesn't say seats have to be approved for anything. At least I haven't found it yet. For competition they do, but we aren't road racing so I don't think they can really say anything. Unless they just feel like you shouldn't have it. For me it wasn't a seat issue it was a belt issue. You may run into the same problem and to be honest you should get it fixed.

2012speed3
03-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Rallye 3,4 is not approved yet. I'm already in the works with Schroth to make that happen. The Rallye3 is the better setup if you haven't bought it yet. I will be changed my tail piece from the 4 to a 3. The front sections are the same.

See here's the thing it doesn't say seats have to be approved for anything. At least I haven't found it yet. For competition they do, but we aren't road racing so I don't think they can really say anything. Unless they just feel like you shouldn't have it. For me it wasn't a seat issue it was a belt issue. You may run into the same problem and to be honest you should get it fixed.

I already have the harness, do they sell a separate tail piece?

sjd
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
SJD

So does that mean all bolt in bars for the Miata are x'ed? I seem to remember a few of them at Mosport?
Was there a specific problem with your bar? I find it hard to believe that all the others are running welded bars?
Does this hold true for the s2000? Which are out in force.

It is the 2006+ MX-5 that is the issue. There was one area of the rulebook the 2 available bars don't meet, its in regards to fore and aft bracing. SCCA and NASA need at least one brace. CASC wants two. Otherwise the bars meet the rules. The funny thing is if a competitor came up from the U.S. they would let him run, so its clearly not a safety issue. Its a political issue.

As for S2000's, I'm curious what of roll bars they are running since they should be in the same situation I am in. Maybe I should attend an event and check them out.

Dave B
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Guys, I don't pretend to be a safety expert in any way shape or form but I DO know that the CASC Time-Attack series takes safety very seriously. They are the only series with certified instructors, insist on more stringent rules for roll bars and actually have tougher rules re aftermarket seatbelts than the wheel to wheel race guys. At this time, the Mobil 1 series is the only time-attack series to run CTMP Grand Prix track AND Shannonville Pro (which is pretty fast itself) so the safety (or at least the perceived safety) takes on a bigger perspective. I do not agree with all of the rules, (used to drive with a 5 point harness and no roll bar myself) but the organizers do NOT have an agenda of keeping people out of racing or steering people into getting cages and bars put in at a certain few shops.

CSCS, Sigma and the Mobil 1 Time-Attack series are all different and have their own pros and cons. Some people run all 3 while other's just one. It doesn't mean the "other" series are wrong.

CelestSpeed3
03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
I don't think anyone ever had the intention of saying CASC was wrong. CASC just seems to put an "image" in people's minds about the series.

My belt issue was one of those issues, same with the rollbar. Obviously we would all like to have a full cage, seat, 8 point belt, hans, firesuit, and fire suppression. The thing that CASC seems to lose sight on is that its a hobby. CASC needs to work with people to get them on the track. Again, its not that they aren't Scott and Derek were more than happy to help me. I just "felt" like they weren't helping but working against me. We all know the merits of running CASC. We always hear the same speech everything we question something. CASC is safety CASC runs the fastest tracks, CASC has instructors, we know that. CASC needs to now show that the series is friendly, fun, and forgiving. By forgiving I mean helping people out who don't understand or meet the rules. I read the OTA rules, then Scott sends me the road race rules, then I hear you cguys talk about SCCA 2 and SCCA 3. Which rules are am I supposed to know, where do I find them? This is where the frustration sets in.

Dave we will talk more tonight at the open house. I know you guys have your OTA meeting tomorrow and I hope you can bring up my suggestions to Chuck. Perhaps if I even attend a meeting with the two of you and Derek to discuss my concerns about changing the "image" of CASC. I have no intention of changing it as a series or an organization. Let's face it it's people like Aaron and myself that will lead CASC in the coming years. I don't feel like CASC gets the right type of positive attention that the series deserves.

sjd
03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
...actually have tougher rules re aftermarket seatbelts than the wheel to wheel race guys.

That doesn't strike you as overzealous and more than a little bit insane? I know race guys who don't come out to OTA for that reason.

The thing that CASC seems to lose sight on is that its a hobby. CASC needs to work with people to get them on the track. Again, its not that they aren't Scott and Derek were more than happy to help me. I just "felt" like they weren't helping but working against me. We all know the merits of running CASC. We always hear the same speech everything we question something. CASC is safety CASC runs the fastest tracks, CASC has instructors, we know that. CASC needs to now show that the series is friendly, fun, and forgiving.

Well said Paul. I found the same thing, they are more than happy to help until you challenge them, then the fangs come out. My roll bar experience was a nightmare. I have a been a CASC member for a decade or so, often with 2 or more clubs, and have never had the frustrating experience I had with OTA. So much so, I'll never run OTA even if I suddenly find my self with a hard top car.

CelestSpeed3
03-05-2013, 11:33 PM
I had a nice talk with Dave tonight at the open house at Whitby Mazda. I'm going to put everything together in an email and send it off to the CASC officials. I hope to get things improved for the better. Time will tell but at least we are seeing the same goal.

standsideways
03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Good to hear :) ^

mikey32235
03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
should be awesome!