PDA

View Full Version : Prokit and Koni Yellows Review and Discussion

Cab0oze
05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Finally got my Prokit and Koni Yellows installed and I thought I'd make a thread to review them, talk about what settings I used, etc as it is my first time lowering a car (and i've been driving for 10 years) and i consider myself a huge suspension noob.

First off, I researched a ton before I decided to go this path (even had used KW v2s sitting around for a while before I sold them). Then I did a ton of research to decide on good settings for the front and rear shocks/struts.
Finally I was facing a huge 50/50 debate whether I would need to get a camber kit... especially cus my brand new falken 452s were ruined last summer over a period of 6000km due to an alignment issue (toe in).

I've had them for 24hrs and so far I absolutely love them... but I'll give it a full week before posting my detailed thoughts.

One thing right away though - 24hrs post install and 100km later I went to canadian tire to get my alignment checked since its free. I fully expected to need an alignment, but I was really wanting to see if I would need a camber kit before paying for the actual alignment.

Results:
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/align_zps1ba880f2.jpg

Dafuq? Everything in the green. Totally unexpected. What do you guys think of that?

Pics will come once everything is settled and i get my car clean :)

Hyperion
05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
1 question. As a guy that works for Canadian Tire.... Why would you go to Canadian Tire

Wes08M3
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
^ it was free

Hyperion
05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I meant for the install.
Also, 24 hours is not a long enough time frame. You should have waited 1.5-2 weeks.

Cab0oze
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I meant for the install.
Also, 24 hours is not a long enough time frame. You should have waited 1.5-2 weeks.

I didn't go to cantire for the install, I went to a local sponsor. Like Wes08 said, I went there because the alignment was free.

I know 24 hrs isn't that long, but if its well within spec within 24 hrs, do you actually think it could go out of spec within another week? Its not like the springs are going to settle by another inch or something...

Hyperion
05-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I'd say they will setting at least 1/4 if not 1/2"

peterm15
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Alignment check is free at CT???

Cab0oze
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Alignment check is free at CT???The one on my way to work is :)... they got a fancy new system that lets the check alignment in like 30 seconds so they made it free to encourage more people to find out how bad their alignment is. I approve.

I'd say they will setting at least 1/4 if not 1/2"
I kinda doubt it... this is for a speed, not a regular mazda3 and the kit is advertised as:
Drop: 0.8" front, 0.7" rear
and I'm 3/4 there based on finger measurements.

Wes08M3
05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm not an expert in French but it seems as if both sides of your car are at the exact same spec. Which almost never happens without adjustment. Seems a little weird to me, like too perfect to be true. But maybe you got really lucky.

Looks like they checked your camber but did they measure the toe?

rzapata
05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm not an expert in French but it seems as if both sides of your car are at the exact same spec. Which almost never happens without adjustment. Seems a little weird to me, like too perfect to be true. But maybe you got really lucky.

Looks like they checked your camber but did they measure the toe?

Maybe you're looking at it differently? All 4 corners sre different. Toe is parallelisme.

Jackal
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Maybe you're looking at it differently? All 4 corners sre different. Toe is parallelisme.

Parallélisme means alignment. Carrossage means camber. Toe I think is pincement in French.

Wow. It says you an alignment isn't necessary. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. I am running the same set up and I needed a camber arm on one side so I decided to get them for both.

rzapata
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Parallélisme means alignment. Carrossage means camber. Toe I think is pincement in French.

Wow. It says you an alignment isn't necessary. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. I am running the same set up and I needed a camber arm on one side so I decided to get them for both.

Which is pretty much what they did there. Toe angle doesn't normally go more than a degree as far as I know.

But hey, it's good number so who cares. :)

Jsquared
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I have been exploring the exact same set up on my 2010 speed. Definitely report back and throw up some before and after pics if you can. In the end, what did you spend?

mikey32235
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
u gotta wait for the shocks to sit just like hyperion stated. also, the computer that canadian tire uses to do alignments with runs on OE specs, not aftermarket - therefore your car may still be out of alignment. i would go to jimmy or any aftermarket performance store who knows how to do a proper alignment with a lowered vehicle.

just my two cents.

Jackal
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
u gotta wait for the shocks to sit just like hyperion stated. also, the computer that canadian tire uses to do alignments with runs on OE specs, not aftermarket - therefore your car may still be out of alignment. i would go to jimmy or any aftermarket performance store who knows how to do a proper alignment with a lowered vehicle.

just my two cents.

Jimmy doesn't do alignments.

breakfasteatre
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM

just my two cents.

unfortunately, the penny is no longer used as currency, so the value of your comment is actually rounded down and worth $0.00

Jimmy doesn't do alignments.

cough

loki
05-02-2013, 04:28 PM

just my two cents.

Jimmy does not do alignments

mikey32235
05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
i can see that... for the third time. but u get the idea.

Sappo569
05-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Hey OP if you don't mind me asking, what did this end up running you total in the end?

Also I would hazard a guess that CTC giving away free alignments means it probably is being done half assed and rushed... no matter how advanced the machine is.

breakfasteatre
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
an alignment wasnt done, the specs were just checked

Cab0oze
05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey OP if you don't mind me asking, what did this end up running you total in the end?

Also I would hazard a guess that CTC giving away free alignments means it probably is being done half assed and rushed... no matter how advanced the machine is.
- Picked up the pro-kit from autoanything for $230 shipping + taxes+duties included from the states
- Picked up the koni yellows from Perry Autosports (local shop) for 650 taxes in
- Installation was 80 bucks at a local sponsor
- Ck of alignment was free
All said n done for $960, which is the same price I had paid for used KW V2 coilovers (which I subsequently sold for the same price when I realized I didn't want to put used suspension with no warranty on my car)
I shopped around A LOT though. And note this is for a ms3, the parts are more expensive than for the regular mz3

Re the free alignment- no its may not be 'perfect', but the fact is that canadian tire WANTS your alignment to be off so they make money. The fact mine is all in the green is amazing. If it was a half-assed job, you would expect things to be red (i.e. if the sensors weren't put on perfectly, etc... but really, their setup is pretty foolproof from what I've seen)

u gotta wait for the shocks to sit just like hyperion stated. also, the computer that canadian tire uses to do alignments with runs on OE specs, not aftermarket - therefore your car may still be out of alignment. Its not the shocks that affects the height, its the springs, which I agree may settle a tiny bit. Secondly, OE specs are good enough, if you're within that, you aren't 'out of alignment' like you mentioned (well obviously you could be on the edge and its not idea, but still). There is no such thing as 'aftermarket specs'. Sure, there are some things that some people could ask for, but you could do that at CT as well if you talk to the mechs... like zero toe for example.

unfortunately, the penny is no longer used as currency, so the value of your comment is actually rounded down and worth $0.00

coughLOL owned!

Cab0oze
05-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Ok so I went out and snapped some pics. Its been 48 hours now, but it hasn't changed since yesterday.
Before --------------------------------------------------FRONT------------------------------------------------------------------------After
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/MS3%20Projets/BeforeFront_zpsc858224e.jpghttp://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/MS3%20Projets/AfterFront_zps2d6b4cf3.jpg

Before --------------------------------------------------REAR------------------------------------------------------------------------After
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/MS3%20Projets/BeforeRear_zps3b1c55bf.jpghttp://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/Cab0oze/MS3%20Projets/AfterRear_zpscf8c17b7.jpg

Not going to spoil anything by taking crappy pics in my parking spot lol... so you'll have to wait for full car pics haha
This is a pretty small drop, but this is my year round DD and it minimizes the wheel gap enough to make me happy. (plus this rides a lot better) If it settles by a wee bit more, well that's fine with me too :P

Edit - a beer to who can spot two major difference between the pics (aside from the drop and my ruined thumb lol)

Sappo569
05-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Nextmod sticker spotted...

tre_77
05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I have the same set up on my 2011 GS and is pretty good. I was actually out today adjusting the koni's. It's fun to change it up every now and then

Wes08M3
05-02-2013, 07:47 PM

I was comparing the front right and left sides as well as the rear left and right sides. Left/right in the front are the exact same specs, same as the rear left/right. Just seems unusual to me, I've never seen that happen on any of the alignments I've done. Maybe the alignment was somehow just that perfect.

EDIT: Nice ring Cab0oze ;)

Cab0oze
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I was comparing the front right and left sides as well as the rear left and right sides. Left/right in the front are the exact same specs, same as the rear left/right. Just seems unusual to me, I've never seen that happen on any of the alignments I've done. Maybe the alignment was somehow just that perfect.

EDIT: Nice ring Cab0oze ;)
Hehe tx :D

And yeah, its almost a mirror image with the exception of the rear camber. The guy thought I had changed my own suspension and got it perfect. He asked me if i wanted a job in the shop lol

Nextmod sticker spotted...Yep! And coincidentally, they just announced that their MTL office is open!

loki
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I should show you my car on a profit drop if I had pics

Almost no gap. Same with fack_dude. I guess for whatever reason our cars dropped alot

Edit: I'm an idiot. Ignore my comment

Cab0oze
05-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Still haven't had time to detail my car, and it still hasn't been a week yet, but I snapped a few pics after work... Not a huge drop (like really, its barely anything for the amount of money lol, although my old shocks were leaking anyway), but IMO now it looks the way it should have from the factory :) Love her all over again.

http://www.engsoc.org/~caboose/upload/Ms3Projects/Profile/Airport1.jpg

http://www.engsoc.org/~caboose/upload/Ms3Projects/Profile/Airport2.jpg

Here is a profile shot from last year to give you an idea of the height before:
http://www.engsoc.org/~caboose/upload/Ms3Projects/Profile/spring3.jpg

FD22
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Love those first two pics!

The drop looks great.

Cab0oze
05-05-2013, 09:20 AM
So just an update as promised:

Settings I used are 1 full turn from soft on the rears and 3/4 turn from full soft on the fronts. Rides nice and firm without being too harsh over the horrible montreal roads. Girlfriend safe, she didn't complain about the ride (at least until I took a 270 degree onramp at 120 while she was holding a plate of kabobs and they were about to go all over the place lol)

Magically my suspension noises are all gone. No more chirping from the front shocks (could only hear it with windows down), no more clunking over bumps (which I thought was from my swaybar bushings which I didn't change/grease yet so i dunno why those stopped)

So far, highly recommend this setup.

loki
05-05-2013, 09:29 AM
So your set up is pretty soft if you turn is from full soft

Not sure how many full turns you can do, I think it's 2.5 but I could be wrong

My car is set at quarter turn from full stiff, might look to soften that a bit

Cab0oze
05-05-2013, 02:32 PM
So your set up is pretty soft if you turn is from full soft

Not sure how many full turns you can do, I think it's 2.5 but I could be wrong

My car is set at quarter turn from full stiff, might look to soften that a bit
Max turns is 2 according to the instructions so 1 is 50% stiffness (with the front just a touch softer). There is definitely no significant oscillations/floatiness so I think for my purposes ~50% is perfect.

Note- all dampers are slightly different. I recommend that when you set up the stiffness you actually test them unloaded by collapsing them into the floor and checking to see if they rebound at the same rate and making small adjustments as necessary. Obviously this isnt really required, but if you're a perfectionist, give that a try.

Also, a trick for tuning the rears if you don't have a vice like me - get a pair of adjustable pliers, clamp the tip as per the instructions, stand on the pliers, push down till they're collapsed and turn as per the instructions.