PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter

TOmz3
03-05-2004, 02:28 AM
Thinking about getting a remote starter / alarm. Anyone suggestions or recommendations?

Xenon
04-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Personally, IMHO, I\'m not a fan of remote starters. not to mention I love to turn the key and hear the engine come to life...

All that aside, if you get a remote starter, get one that can intergrate with a security system. I think most of the Mazda3s come with their own security. If you buy a remote starter, I highly suggest upgrading the alarm system to one you can intergrate with.

As for brands and other recommendations, I don\'t have any ideas. Wouldn\'t want to give you inaccurate information anyways :D

Nex
05-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Any Clifford, Viper or DEI alarm system would be a safe bet.
I suggest a 2-way paging system. DEI has them, but I prefer the Compustar systems.
www.compustar.org
If you want to go all out, you can get a 2-way paging alarm with a GSM alarm added to it. OR get the boomerang2 system.

DJArum
05-04-2004, 04:41 AM
I agree with the compustar, it\'s probably the best package overall. The 2WFM is good enough, but doesn\'t have the vibrate on the remote pager like the 2WSS does.

Snipes
07-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I was just talking to a buddy at work and he said there is a company in Woodbridge called A1. They have remote starter/alarm kits and it is 2 way with an LCD on the FOB. The LCD can report the status of the car as well as the interior temperature of the car. That would work great in the Canadian winters eh! :D
I might have to look into getting one.

m_a_t_r_i_x
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TOmz3

Thinking about getting a remote starter / alarm. Anyone suggestions or recommendations?

-well i asked the dealer about installaing a remote starter on my new M3, but they advise not to put one bec of the immobilizer system and it will void the warranty on the ignition/electrical.

I had bad experience with remote starters on my previous car, during installation they cut off so many wires and the panel looks butchered, and after a month i have to replace my battery bcoz it died down, since the starters needs lotsa power during starting and parking lights will come on automatically after starting. And to top that after 2 months f_ckin starter wont work anymore (its a compustar remote starter), i regret having it....having said that....its ur choice.

SoopaBanana
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
I have a CompuStar system installed in my M3 for a month now and I\'m loving it. However, I am getting worried after reading matrix\'s post. I\'m keeping my fingers crossed that nothing like that would happen to my car.

If you wish to have CompuStar with remote starter installed, you should give Jeff @ Lockdown a call. His number is (647) 435-5896. Good luck!

billyfo
03-24-2005, 08:00 AM
I had mine installed at Lockdown last Dec. 4 mths passed, not a single problem, and I\'m loving it.

Although we got the same brand or even same model of products, you deal with different ppl/dealers will have different problem. You can read our dealer review section, there are so many complains on several Mazda dealership, but also many good one to others.

Whos ur dadd
03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
People who don\'t appreciate a car starter have underground/garage parking!!!

I would love the option as my car is parked outside. Then at the uncovered GO station.

majic
03-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

I would love the option as my car is parked outside. Then at the uncovered GO station.

i park outside and i park at the GO.. i considered the RS but then figured, all this \'warming up\' and idling just wastes gas as it\'s so much more efficient to drive your car to warm it up (and i assume to cool it down in the summer)

so unless the RS comes with my alarm, i don\'t think i\'ll be getting one.. just my $0.0164USD

Whos ur dadd
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by majic

Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

i park outside and i park at the GO.. i considered the RS but then figured, all this \'warming up\' and idling just wastes gas as it\'s so much more efficient to drive your car to warm it up (and i assume to cool it down in the summer)

so unless the RS comes with my alarm, i don\'t think i\'ll be getting one.. just my $0.0164USD

or if you have a baby/child - gotta heat/cool down the car ...

you youngins!!!

Dr Butcher
03-25-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a Compustar 2 way remote alarm/starter in my car and I\'ve had no problems at all over the 6 months it\'s been installed. I really just use it to start the car as I\'m on my way to it. I used to let the car idle for a minute or 2 before I drove away so I figured, why waste my time sitting in the car letting it idle when I can be doing other things and drive away when I get in... I wanted the alarm, the starter combo was only a few bucks more so why not?? :)

zRqTz
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
I see great value in having a remote starter. I had it in my old car and it was a great help.
But the question remains....

Will it void the warranty?

Maybe I should check the manual or whatever documents I got when I bought the car.
But then again, somebody might have already looked into that and knows what the answer is? :D