PDA

View Full Version : Any Cold Air Intakes yet?

TOmz3
03-05-2004, 02:46 AM
I couldn\'t find any intakes on the market yet. Anyone know of any near future developments?

DJArum
03-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Injen and AEM has CAIs for the 2.3 Litre engine in the Mazda6. From what I found, they don\'t fit on the 3, but I think there are companies out there that will develop it very soon.

Xenon
04-22-2004, 09:34 AM
The car is kinda new. I bet you by the time the 2005\'s come out, there will be tons of stuff that you can do to the engine.

mikespike
06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
There are a few of them around all ready.
on monday i went to a place call PIPES in scarborough and they
said they can put one on for 250-350 .

fat mike
06-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Cold air intakes are available for the 3. I have seen som installs on other fourms. Sorry I cant remeber what company it was, either AEM, or Injen

FLIPDADY
06-25-2004, 07:35 AM
I\'ve seen a couple of AEM setups already. I think the part number for the kit is 21-487.
http://img75.photobucket.com/albums/v228/FLIPSPEED/3AEM.jpg

SCORPION6
07-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Mazda 3 (2004 All 2.3L Models, (Manual Trans. Only)) - AEM Cold Air Induction System (Blue) $. 211.95
http://www.ptuning.com/graphics/aem/coldairintakesystem.jpg

You can check more in:
Products for Mazda 3 (http://www.ptuning.com/html/online-saleswizard_.cfm)

SCORPION6
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/513000-513999/513436_45_full.jpg

Mazda 3s with AEM CAS Intake (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/513436)

xoom
07-15-2004, 10:37 PM
How does the CAI change the tone of the engine? And how does that compare to a short RAM intake? I really like a bit of a growl, and I\'m thinking of getting something done, but I\'m not sure what to do quite yet...

bluntman
07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
You\'ll get more cold air with this configuration than a ram air intake because the opening/filter element is nowhere near the hot engine.

SCORPION6
07-17-2004, 12:05 AM
You will hear a deeper sound
The short ram receive more heat from the engine and give you a little less ponnies than the CAI (is separate from the heat of he engine and receive more fresh air)

SCORPION6
07-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Here a Short Ram in a M6. You dont have to worry about the rainy season:D
http://www.msprotege.com/members/Da%206/1/MzI001.jpg

dredd2099
07-21-2004, 12:18 AM
injen and aem are usually the first ones out w/ any car
then the rest usually just copies off of em
so much for RnD
eh heh

DWNSHFT
07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
So has anyone seen any SRI\'s or CAI\'s for the base (2.0L) engine?? Will the 2.3 litter ones work??

BTW, to the guy who mentioned the rainy season....I wouldn\'t worry about water w/ any CAI here in T.O....your safe dude

dredd2099
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by DWNSHFT

BTW, to the guy who mentioned the rainy season....I wouldn\'t worry about water w/ any CAI here in T.O....your safe dude

word

wtom
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Okay I\'m getting anxious to mod SOMETHING on my car... and it\'s either CAI or full-cat-back exhaust.

I\'m guessing getting both will be quite pricey, and do they even have a full-cat exhaust yet for the 3?

A few of my friends with only aftermarket exhausts on their cars suggest I change the exhaust first. Not sure why but that is their suggestion (out of CAI first or full-cat exhaust first).

Can anyone elaborate on which is better performance upgrade? Or either one is pretty much the same?

I may eventually get both but to me, CAI is more subtle. If I get exhaust, it can be subtle too if sized not too big ... but a loud low rumble out of a stock-rims/stock-suspension/stock-body kit ... doesn\'t seem right to me. :)

bluntman
09-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Changing the exhaust system will give you an immediate \"kick in the pants\" upon acceleration, the improvement in performance will be more evident than with any other simple bolt-on modification (aside from a super to turbo charger).

MajesticBlueNTO
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Okay I\'m getting anxious to mod SOMETHING on my car... and it\'s either CAI or full-cat-back exhaust.

I\'m guessing getting both will be quite pricey, and do they even have a full-cat exhaust yet for the 3?

A few of my friends with only aftermarket exhausts on their cars suggest I change the exhaust first. Not sure why but that is their suggestion (out of CAI first or full-cat exhaust first).

Can anyone elaborate on which is better performance upgrade? Or either one is pretty much the same?

I may eventually get both but to me, CAI is more subtle. If I get exhaust, it can be subtle too if sized not too big ... but a loud low rumble out of a stock-rims/stock-suspension/stock-body kit ... doesn\'t seem right to me. :)

do both - CAI AND exhaust - in order to realize the gains from better breathing.

Draxas has a cat-back exhaust (http://store.draxas.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=2&Sub=95) for the 3 developed by Thermal Research and Development. from the sounds of it on the vid, it is quite subtle (http://www.draxas.com/movies/mz3exhaust.wmv)

Nikolas had mentioned in the thread on M3F that the exhaust is quieter than the engine ....meaning that a CAI would sound louder at WOT.

cliff\'s notes: in order to breathe better, the car has to exhale better. if you\'re gonna do one mod first, go exhaust then CAI.

billyfo
09-16-2004, 07:52 PM
price seems quite reasonable, but in the video clip too loud for my taste.

wtom
09-17-2004, 11:03 AM
I\'m interested in the Draxas, second package (high flow cat) and the Injen CAI... now I have no idea about car mods nor have I ever done anything on a car so install will probably be a bitch with the exhaust... I have a feeling I\'ll **** up the intake too since guys over at M3F have stated they need to remove their bumpers to do the install. :(

But a little over one grand for CAI and Exhaust... hrmmmm... I\'m up for it. :)

billyfo - you should hear one of my friends\' Accord... he has a loud and low rumbling GReddy exhaust... it\'s really nice but yes, very loud! Gotta shout when in the backseat and talking to him while he\'s driving.

billyfo
09-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Warren, hope you can invite your friend in meet 5, so I can hear how loud it is:D

I remembered back in HongKong, many cars had aftermarket exhaust and very sensitive alarms, when cars pass through, all alarms sound all together:p

MazdaTree
09-17-2004, 07:05 PM
does anyone on the forum have a cai yet? im lookin around for the cheapest price today I found the cheapest aem for $310 a a store i brampton. I heard its not to hard to install I wanna try installin it myself... i also asked mazda today if it would void warranty and mazda of brampton said only if it screws up the engine and then the tests they run show the engines messed cuza then cai then the warranty will be voided
so the best thing to do is install it and remove it everytime u go in for service (thats also wat the guy reccomended)

dredd2099
09-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

so the best thing to do is install it and remove it everytime u go in for service (thats also wat the guy reccomended)

that would be a PITA
frankly, no need for it
looks like the dealership ur dealing with is pretty open to such things
if u installed ur cai properly, doesnt throw u a CEL or any other probs
then u should be good

wtom
09-18-2004, 05:00 PM

does anyone on the forum have a cai yet? im lookin around for the cheapest price today I found the cheapest aem for $310 a a store i brampton. I heard its not to hard to install I wanna try installin it myself... i also asked mazda today if it would void warranty and mazda of brampton said only if it screws up the engine and then the tests they run show the engines messed cuza then cai then the warranty will be voided

Not bad at $310 ... plus taxes... ptuning price converts to about C$275 or $280 and plus shipping and a dude from Montreal said he got nailed with $60 duties/taxes. It\'s about the same at the end... buying it locally a bit cheaper by a few dollars.

Do they have the different colours in stock? I\'m definitely more interested to get a CAI but I\'m still debating if I should grab a catback exhaust system first since not much point to get intake if the car can\'t exhale the extra volume. Also you\'d prefer AEM over Injen?

If we have more than 10 ppl interested in getting a CAI down the road, we should look for a specific place that can give us a club discount. :)

billyfo
09-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by wtom
If we have more than 10 ppl interested in getting a CAI down the road, we should look for a specific place that can give us a club discount. :)

if they can get 10% off or more count me in.

MazdaTree
09-19-2004, 03:09 AM
does anything bad happen to the engine if u get a cai b4 a exhaust?
well ill call the guy on monday or tuesday ill go in and ask him about a group rate i think he can prolly get it in any colour cuz wen i went in he called the place (warehouse im guessing) and said he can even get it by the same day so yeah.
i do prefer aem over injen cuz my friends uncle drag races these old cars at square 1 parkin lot on holidays and fixes them up and he said aem is the only dyno proven one and he said its the best bet. he also told me to get eibach springs over h&r and tien
ill ask him if i get 10 ppl to get these intakes how much will it be...
its a pretty good price to begin with JRP racing in mississauga quoted me 350 as well as performance improvements they quoted a little more...

MajesticBlueNTO
09-19-2004, 04:57 AM
does anything bad happen to the engine if u get a cai b4 a exhaust?

no, nothing bad will happen

firstmazda
09-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Don\'t you have to remove the CAI over the winter season so that slush/water dosen\'t get into the engine??

Ray

MajesticBlueNTO
09-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by firstmazda

Don\'t you have to remove the CAI over the winter season so that slush/water dosen\'t get into the engine??

Ray

no, that\'s what the filter\'s for...the filter will be dirty as hell after the winter and you\'ll have to clean it but there\'s no need to remove a CAI over the winter.

only way water will get into the engine is if you completely submerge the filter in liquid ...only way to do that is to drive through a DEEP puddle or river. and a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter on a CAI would mean deep enough to cover your wheels (height-wise) and i don\'t think anyone would want to drive through that, CAI or not.

wtom
09-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

and a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter on a CAI would mean deep enough to cover your wheels (height-wise) and i don\'t think anyone would want to drive through that, CAI or not.

Can\'t remember where I read it but the filter of an aftermarket CAI usually sits 12 to 14 inches above ground.

RedRaptor
09-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Mods Mods Mods.

Yonge Street & Lawrence at about 9:30AM today. Orange Mica 3 Sport GT heading North on Yonge with 2.3 emblems on the right hand side of the trunk. Aftermarket 17\" or 18\" chrome wheels, I couldn\'t tell the exact size, rubber or brand because I was in a cab and the 3 was just switching in and out of traffic.

But I guess the most interesting part of this story is, he had a catback or exhaust mod. By far, its the loudest 3 I\'ve seen/heard in Toronto and he didn\'t try to hide it either but moving in and out of lanes like I said before. Again I couldn\'t tell any specifics on the exhaust other than the fact that it was bigger tailpipe than the stock exhaust.

I had mixed emotions when I saw this 3. I don\'t want to comment on the driver because he could be a member here, but all I can say is he looked like a Jetta driver so draw your conclusions upon that.

I am sure you guys will come across this Orange Mica 3 one day...even if you don\'t see it, you will hear it for sure coming at you. :hoho

Personally, no CAI, no custom catback or exhaust for me. +5HP and some $$$ later, it just isn\'t worth the extra money, time, effort and extra attention from the noise.

Better to save up for a G35 Coupe or FX45 in a couple of a years, where the stock exhaust sound is just sweet.

bluntman
09-20-2004, 07:00 PM
It could be Canada3\'s car from msprotege.com...I think he\'s here too.

MazdaTree
09-21-2004, 01:40 AM
well i called that place today and he said that 310 is the lowest he can go and i asked him if they had anything else for the 3 and he said call back tomorrow which i will and make a note of it on the forum but anyways I went to performance improvments after that in brampton and i told him me and me and 9 members want in on the intakes and he said he has to run it by head office and call me back on my cell but he said usually he can get about 20% off... i keep everyone updated wit the outcome

bluntman
09-21-2004, 10:15 AM
That\'s good news! What brand is that CAI, AEM or Injen?

wtom
09-21-2004, 02:44 PM

I found the cheapest aem for $310 a a store i brampton.

If they can go lower than $330.00 tax in... :D

MazdaTree
09-21-2004, 02:48 PM
aem
so basically i found a place in brampton 310 NO GROUP RATES
performance improvements its usually 350-356 and waitin for a call back about grouprates they said usually 20% off
and jrp racing said come in the store with all the ppl and we can discuss

wtom
09-21-2004, 03:24 PM

so basically i found a place in brampton 310 NO GROUP RATES
performance improvements its usually 350-356 and waitin for a call back about grouprates they said usually 20% off
and jrp racing said come in the store with all the ppl and we can discuss

Brampton place... okay fine

We wait for Performance Improvements then... even at $356 with 20% off it\'s down to like $280 man, that is SWEET!!!

Forget JRP, you experienced the sales guy being a sneak, I wouldn\'t even bother calling them anymore. They were shiftee one time and that\'s enough to lose any future trust from me personally.

Keep us up to date, MazdaTree!

RedRaptor
09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Found this on Ebay.

Eibach Pro-Kit For Mazda 3 ($290 + Free shipping)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=7923295 125&rd=1

Might be useful for some of you guys.

MazdaTree
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
hey redraptor thanx for the postin that is pretty cheap i never saw them that cheap before the springs here are usually 350

wtom
09-21-2004, 05:21 PM
linyeah is from Mazda3Forums.com ... looks like no one picked them up from him/her;

http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11053

I\'m passing... It was good advice from MajesticBlueN regarding having them installed without suspension, only to go back to get suspension installed and paying double. I prefer to go all or nothing. :)

billyfo
09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
if it is true around $330 w/taxes, count me in.

bDeE
09-22-2004, 12:27 AM
mmmm an AEM CAI, if that 20% deal goes through then count me in too!

thats gonna be a good deal. one question though, is that just for the part or does that include installation. its probably posted somewhere in this thread but my eyes are getting heavy and i probably missed it.

MazdaTree
09-22-2004, 02:08 AM
thats just for the part

majic
09-22-2004, 03:17 PM
I *hear* that the install is a DIY job.. and i\'ve seen others (civics) that were pretty easy..

the hardest part would be taking off the bumper (i think that\'s what needed in mazda3\'s case) so as long as you have some tools and patience you can pull it off yourself.. correct me if i\'m wrong..

bluntman
09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
A few people at M3F.com have installed an AEM CAI on their MZ3 :p and they didn\'t have to remove the bumper. At the most, some had to remove the driver\'s side (left or right, how can I tell?) tire. Others were able to simply peel back the wheelwell lining to get at a couple of nasty bolts that are holding the resonator.

majic
09-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

A few people at M3F.com have installed an AEM CAI on their MZ3 :p and they didn\'t have to remove the bumper. At the most, some had to remove the driver\'s side (left or right, how can I tell?) tire. Others were able to simply peel back the wheelwell lining to get at a couple of nasty bolts that are holding the resonator.

well the driver sits on the left, right? :D

so it would make sense to make it relative to the driver.. in racing the driver wouldn\'t turn around to figure out whether his left or right was blown ;) or needed pressure adjustment

front bumper
LF ......... RF
driver
LR ........ RR
rear bumper

no?

bluntman
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
But if you\'re looking at the car from the front end then the driver is on the right side. :p

majic
09-23-2004, 09:51 AM
ugh.. it\'s all relative.. how about.. driverside front.. driverside rear.. passenger front passenger rear.. THERE :p settled!!! or just make it relative from the driver\'s point of view

bluntman
09-23-2004, 09:58 AM
North American drivers or UK drivers? :p

OK, we\'re getting out of hand, let\'s get back on subject.

majic
09-23-2004, 10:02 AM
just b/c you\'re a mod doesn\'t mean you get the last word!!! :p

so RELATIVE TO THE VEHICLE AT HAND!!! happy?

and back on topic.. starting NOW :D

MazdaTree
09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
i never bought an intake before but does anybody know if the prices go down after the car gets older or after a while after it comes out? cuz im thinkin if i wait after winter will the price go down?

///M
09-23-2004, 12:20 PM
I\'d like to get an Injen intake (AutoExe intake is way too expensive, don\'t like the look of the AEM) but I heard CEL problems are common with them?

Also, what happens to the warranty if there\'s an intake? I\'ve seen some Mazda dealers selling intakes themselves at the parts dept. Maybe FLIPSPEED can answer this.

FLIPDADY
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Usually intakes get cheaper when there are more companies that carry that application. As far as warranty purposes go the CEL light would only go on if the sensor came loose from the pipe. I heard Injen was having problems with the spot on the pipe where the sensor fits in.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Usually intakes get cheaper when there are more companies that carry that application. As far as warranty purposes go the CEL light would only go on if the sensor came loose from the pipe. I heard Injen was having problems with the spot on the pipe where the sensor fits in.

i don\'t know how sensitive the mazda MAFs (Mass AirFlow sensor) are but i can tell you my experience with a Nissan MAF and an aftermarket intake:

be VERY careful removing the wire assembly..the nissan one was hella sensitive to hard knocks and such (it was attached to a tube)..also, oil from aftermarket cotton-gauze filters CAN coat the MAF wire. this will affect the reading the MAF gives to the ECU. one way to clean it is to use aerosol Contact Cleaner (available at Radioscrap) and let it dry fully before putting it back on the car.

as with all things electrical, disconnect the negative battery cable before unplugging the MAF connector.

i had managed to blow the MAF on my maxima when i put back on the intake (5 months after i cleaned the K&N filter...so you\'d think it had enough time to dry) ..i did not clean the MAF or anything prior to putting the aftermarket intake back on. needless to say, i went WOT, the car hit 5000rpm in 2nd gear then immediately died on hwy 7!! luckily i was able to coast safely to the side of the langstaff turn off. in the end it cost me $115 to get a new MAF (THANK GOD the price went down from $600 a few months earlier).

a dirty MAF will throw a CEL (since the readings will be off)....a MAF in a tube bigger than the original may throw a CEL...a blown MAF will put the car into safe-mode and you won\'t be able to rev past a pre-determined RPM (in the case of the maxima, it was 2200rpm)

billyfo
10-05-2004, 06:59 PM
any news fo the GB?

BETRTHNU
10-09-2004, 03:42 AM
wow the exhaust sounds nice...

///M
10-09-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Mods Mods Mods.

Yonge Street & Lawrence at about 9:30AM today. Orange Mica 3 Sport GT heading North on Yonge with 2.3 emblems on the right hand side of the trunk. Aftermarket 17\" or 18\" chrome wheels, I couldn\'t tell the exact size, rubber or brand because I was in a cab and the 3 was just switching in and out of traffic.

But I guess the most interesting part of this story is, he had a catback or exhaust mod. By far, its the loudest 3 I\'ve seen/heard in Toronto and he didn\'t try to hide it either but moving in and out of lanes like I said before. Again I couldn\'t tell any specifics on the exhaust other than the fact that it was bigger tailpipe than the stock exhaust.

I had mixed emotions when I saw this 3. I don\'t want to comment on the driver because he could be a member here, but all I can say is he looked like a Jetta driver so draw your conclusions upon that.

I am sure you guys will come across this Orange Mica 3 one day...even if you don\'t see it, you will hear it for sure coming at you. :hoho

Personally, no CAI, no custom catback or exhaust for me. +5HP and some $$$ later, it just isn\'t worth the extra money, time, effort and extra attention from the noise.

Better to save up for a G35 Coupe or FX45 in a couple of a years, where the stock exhaust sound is just sweet.

2.3 badge on the right? I know who that is. Not sure if he\'s here though. I\'ve seen his car at Avante a couple of times.

He\'s got a custom Bruell exhaust, a crazy custom Alpine ICE setup, Eibach suspension. Last time I saw him he had powdercoated grey stock rims. Oh, and it\'s A/T. :p

If you want more info on this car, ask FLIPSPEED and he\'ll be able to tell you all about it. ;)

MazdaTree
10-09-2004, 06:02 AM
the cheapest if found is 310 + tax

MazdaTree
02-01-2005, 01:47 AM
i called aem today and the cold air intake for the AUTOMATIC 3 is out. Im trying to find it in Canada but so far I cant. I called AEM and they only had polished and 3 red left

kl7402001
02-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I have the AEM in my car .. the install was easy only took alittle over 1hr .. some bolts are hard to get at but u don\'t need to peel off the wheel well or take off the bumper ... just follow the instructions that came with the box .. if u guys want i can scan it and email u guys just email me at kalvli@hotmail.com