PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starters

M34ME
05-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Does anybody know if Mazda has a remote starter option, I already have my car, I just dont remember seeing that as an option. If they dont do you think an alarm/starter combo professionally installed will void my warranty? has anyone looked into that?

Steve, 2004 Sedan GT W/GFX & rear lip spoiler.

Xenon
05-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Mazda does not offer a remote starter option. I personally don\'t like remote starters. being a somewhat environmentalist, I see no reason to burn unecessary gas when my car\'s not doing anything.

Remote starters may void the warrenty. I know it does on Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, but I don\'t know if Mazda has a similar policy. Whatever the case, I\'m sure it\'s frowned upon and it also gives Mazda a reason to make you pay for any repairs that may be needed to the engine.

Nex
05-02-2004, 08:58 PM
It\'ll only void the warranty on parts you replaced with aftermarket stuff.(ie, the factory alarm system). A remote starter won\'t void your entire car\'s warranty.

Xenon
05-03-2004, 01:55 AM
What are the chances that someone can steal the signal to your starter? It would make it much easier to steal the car...

By the way... the Mazda3 has that built in immobilizer chip in the key... won\'t you need to bypass that security feature somehow to get the remote starter to work? It is to my understanding that the car cannot be started without that chip.

Nex
05-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

What are the chances that someone can steal the signal to your starter? It would make it much easier to steal the car...

By the way... the Mazda3 has that built in immobilizer chip in the key... won\'t you need to bypass that security feature somehow to get the remote starter to work? It is to my understanding that the car cannot be started without that chip.

The chances of people stealing the signal to your alarm is slim. Most modern day alarms are code-hopping so it\'ll be hard to pickup. Thieves will actually tow the car away instead of wasting time to pickup your code if they really want the car.

Built-in immobilizer chips can be bypassed temporarily so that the remote start can work. There\'s 2 kinds of bypass modules. The older ones(mostly being phased out) you would leave your valet key plugged into a module which is then hidden in the car. I wouldn\'t be too comfortable with this kind of setup for obvious reasons. The newer module is where the module \"copies\" the information from the key and just uses that info to bypass the immobilizer.
Either module, the factory immobilizer will still function as it should. It\'s only bypassed when you want to remote start the car, so no worries of rendering the immobilizer useless.

Xenon
05-15-2004, 11:59 AM
A remote starter was never an option for me. I just don\'t like them. As I said before I take joy in turning the key. I can see how they can be a convienience in the winter, but your engine heats up the quickest when driving. And with Fuel prices reaching or exceeding 90.0 cents a litre, I don\'t suggest burning the precious fuel.