PDA

View Full Version : My car has a boo boo :(

Xenon
05-17-2004, 08:57 PM
I was driving along the 401, and a marble sized piece of gravel decided to take a nice chunk of paint from my hood :(

Since Winning Blue is such a popular and limited colour, of course Oakville and Erin Mills Mazda don\'t have touch up in stock. It totally sucks tho. The gravel caused one severe chip and two smaller ones (could have been smaller pieces of gravel). What was worse is that I was was trying to avoid the trucks, and still my car got hit. One of the minor chips could have been prevented if I had the 3M protection bra. I will be looking to install one next week.

As for fixing the problem, I will touch it up with the paint. I baught Meguire\'s Liquid Crystal Clear wax. I\'m hoping that after the touch up and a good wax and buff that it will look alright. If you have any more suggestions I would love to hear them.

Nex
05-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Well, pretty much unavoidable if your car is a daily driver. No matter how much we baby these cars, some stone chips will occur unfortunately.
Just touch it up, but don\'t use the applicator it comes with. It\'s too thick. Instead, get some kind of fine brush(I used the opposite end of a match) and layer the paint on. Don\'t expect to cover the chip with one shot. Just apply until you overfill the chip, and then use some polisher to buff it down.(make sure the paint is entirely dry) Be sure to cover the area you polished with wax afterwards. Hope this helps.

sw0rdfish
05-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Ah DOH!

At least you aren\'t like me and stupidly opened your door with your keys in your hand... scratch!

Yes... I am a moron

miggiddy
05-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by sw0rdfish

Ah DOH!

At least you aren\'t like me and stupidly opened your door with your keys in your hand... scratch!

Yes... I am a moron

I\'ve been openning the door for my girlfirend all the time (she wears a couple of rings) and always open the door with my free hand. I think the first day:( , when picking up my car, I might have accidentally scratched the rear door with my jacket zipper. Or it could have been someone at the dealership. I could see how it can easily happen while getting into the car. I\'m just super cautious now.

Sorry to about the misfortune. I\'m just waiting for my day when passing any vehicle and some rock pops up.

Xenon
05-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Nex

Well, pretty much unavoidable if your car is a daily driver. No matter how much we baby these cars, some stone chips will occur unfortunately.
Just touch it up, but don\'t use the applicator it comes with. It\'s too thick. Instead, get some kind of fine brush(I used the opposite end of a match) and layer the paint on. Don\'t expect to cover the chip with one shot. Just apply until you overfill the chip, and then use some polisher to buff it down.(make sure the paint is entirely dry) Be sure to cover the area you polished with wax afterwards. Hope this helps.

Polisher huh? will that make the paint even? Any rocommendations to which one I should use?

It\'s a bit late to be asking... I put touch up paint (very carfully) and waxed over it already. I plan to get the 3M bra really soon, within the next week, and i\'m going to ask whatever shop that does it to fix the chip first. (See \"Group Buys\" if you\'re interested in the 3M bra too. there are two of us going to go look for quotes together. We are hoping that if we give someone two (or more) cars, he\'ll give us a deal.

Nex
05-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Xenon

Originally posted by Nex

Polisher huh? will that make the paint even? Any rocommendations to which one I should use?

It\'s a bit late to be asking... I put touch up paint (very carfully) and waxed over it already. I plan to get the 3M bra really soon, within the next week, and i\'m going to ask whatever shop that does it to fix the chip first. (See \"Group Buys\" if you\'re interested in the 3M bra too. there are two of us going to go look for quotes together. We are hoping that if we give someone two (or more) cars, he\'ll give us a deal.

You can pretty much use any polisher. I personally use Nufinish to do the job. If you do try this, don\'t go crazy with it though. Polishers are abrasive and do take off a surface layer of paint.

Xenon
05-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Well I have decided to get the 3M bra. I\'m just going to get the shop to fix my big chip before they coat it with the 3m stuff. I won\'t have to worry about it any more.

Underscore002
05-30-2004, 02:48 AM
What do the 3M bra\'s cost? When I get my car I would like to get one but im in california so I cant go in on a group buy :(

-Joe

Xenon
05-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Well this club is based in toronto... So in Canadian dollars 3M costs anywhere between $100 - $400, depending on how much you want covered.

$100 would cover mirrors, fenders and about 10 inches of the hood

$400 would cover the hood, bumper, mirrors and fenders. (Note as soon as you throw in the bumper, the price jumps.)