PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the Headlights

Xenon
05-25-2004, 09:26 PM
I\'m looking at replacing the stock bulbs for better, BRIGHTER ones. I\'ve looked at all those \"bluish\" bulbs, but I remain skeptical. I know that if the bulb is tinted blue, Light output will be reduced because of the tint.

I\'m not quite (financially) ready to upgrade to Xenon, but I was wondering if anyone can make any recommendations to a good bulb that is indeed brighter than the stock ones and more white.

sw0rdfish
05-25-2004, 11:23 PM
There are the one\'s I bought...

Ebay - MTEC XENON (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480029538&catego ry=33710&sspagename=WDVW)

I\'ll show em to you on Saturday... I\'ve got an extra pair, I\'d say we can pop em in to your if you want to see, but they\'re a BITCH to get in there. If you want to buy them off me, you can have them for the same price, and I\'ll just reorder them. my friends have dealt with this guy often, and for 6 bucks they replace the bulb... [ as long as it\'s not broken ] so it\'s a pretty good deal, and it\'s a good look.

Once you get the bling, you can upgrade to real deal lights...

Xenon
05-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Soundslike a plan Sword... see you saturday!

Xenon
07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I put in Sylvaina SilverStars in my car, in the day there isn\'t much of a visual difference in colour (unless you look directly at the bulb, it\'s much brighter).

Night driving is totally changed. They are a little less bright as HIDs as advertised. It is definately a noticable difference from the sock bulbs. Beam pattern remains the same.

Bulbs cost $28.99 each, +tax at Canadian Tire.

miggiddy
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
swordfish - How much did you pay for those bulbs? They look pretty good in the picture, but will have to see how they really perform on your car. Too bad it\'ll be daylight. I may be interested in those, if Xenon isn\'t ofcourse since he has changed his.

Newlook
08-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Any group buy?

Someone told me there\'s a way to get a pair of Silverstar at $30...

dredd2099
08-04-2004, 10:51 PM
can vouch for the silverstars as well
they usually stay within the stock wattage
only prob is they tend to burn out faster
the XENONs burn out even faster
thats from my experience and others that did the silverstar and xenon route

RedRaptor
08-05-2004, 01:24 PM
I honestly wouldn\'t waste my money and time with \"Fake HID\" Xenon bulbs. They burn out in 6 months or so and don\'t throw that much light on the road at all. It just looks good from other drivers\' perspective but you need to see properly as well.

I say try to save money and get an HID kit.

fat mike
08-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

I honestly wouldn\'t waste my money and time with \"Fake HID\" Xenon bulbs. They burn out in 6 months or so and don\'t throw that much light on the road at all. It just looks good from other drivers\' perspective but you need to see properly as well.

I say try to save money and get an HID kit.

I would have to agree with that as well. Have never had good luck wiht the aftermarket bulbs. On my old Protege 5 the bulbs acctually melted the adapter on the socket as well as browned the bulb cover inside the headlight. You have to remeber that the aftermarket bulbs run really really hot as well as more wattage then they should.

Xenon
08-05-2004, 07:40 PM
My silverstars produce more light than the stock ones.

Sylvania does tint their bulbs slightly to filter out some yellow, but they also compinsate by increasing the light output, so you don\'t loose performance.

The tint on my bulbs is very faint.

RedRaptor
08-05-2004, 09:17 PM
I agree. My family van has the silver stars installed for 6 months now and yes they are brighther than stock bulbs. But I wouldn\'t say that it even comes close to the output that a HID kit can produce. They are a little brighter and whiter than stock bulbs but if you want really bright, have to get an HID kit.

I don\'t know...this whole DRL issue has got me confused...

MZ3_GS
08-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Those Flea market bulbs work great.....why Blue, the human eye is less sensitive to blue light, go for white.

10 dollars a pair can\'t go wrong.......

mEtH
08-31-2004, 01:04 AM
I got the Osram Silverstars. No tint, says longer then a one year lifetime (we\'ll see how that goes) and a much greater performance. They are not a bright white or anything but they are whiter then stock but not as much as sylvania silverstars. Their the inbetweens, but shoot the light further.

Only problem is getting them in/to Canada