PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/Rim cleaners

Newlook
05-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Anyone used rim cleaner to clean their alloy rims?

I used Turtle Wax 2001 rim cleaner today. It says spray on, wait a few seconds to let the foam to dissolve the dirt, and hose off with water. Ok.... but it didn\'t work. Brake dust and dirt was still there.
Eventrually had to use an old sponge to wipe the rims. Very hard to clean the inside since the rotor and brake pad are in the way. Need to consider getting a small brush to do the job :(

01AWW18T
05-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

Anyone used rim cleaner to clean their alloy rims?

I used Turtle Wax 2001 rim cleaner today. It says spray on, wait a few seconds to let the foam to dissolve the dirt, and hose off with water. Ok.... but it didn\'t work. Brake dust and dirt was still there.
Eventrually had to use an old sponge to wipe the rims. Very hard to clean the inside since the rotor and brake pad are in the way. Need to consider getting a small brush to do the job :(

DON\'t use a brush it\'ll probably create swirl marks. (trust me, I know from experience)

get a can of mother\'s cleaner paste wax (the paste kind is better)., this stuff works~!:D

Newlook
05-28-2004, 11:15 PM
I have the wax. But don\'t you have to clean the rim first before you wax it?

I can stick on using the sponge, if bushing isn\'t a good idea.

01AWW18T
05-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Clean it as well as you can with car wash soap and water, maybe some quick detailer to help loosen up the dirt. Then use the mother\'s cleaner wax and u\'ll see the baked on brake dust come right off;)

Xenon
05-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I have a spray bottle in my garage that is about 40:1 mix of water and car soap.

I spray that on my rims every night and wipe off the brake dust that has accumulated over the day.

My rims are shiny, silver and build up free.

Derksen
05-30-2004, 12:39 AM
I\'m beginning to think that you are just a \'tad\' neurotic:D

sw0rdfish
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
HAHA!!!!

Thats funny!

miggiddy
05-30-2004, 11:54 PM
I bought a bottle of some armour all rim cleaner, you spray it on while the rim is dry and the brakes are cool. You can see the brake dust start to soak away, but you have to really spray alot on. I think I could go thru the bottle in 3/4 washes if you drench the rims with it. I still end up using a sponge and scrub them down. And the rotors really get in the way, with my 16\'s more so, I used a tooth brush to reach spots that the sponge couldn\'t. I bought a bottle of simple green from CT, I\'m going to try that next week see how it works. I\'ve used it on my motorcycle rims, to remove both brake dust and chain lube and it usually does a pretty good job.

mikespike
07-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I used that turtle wax rim cleaner too and it was crapp. not only did it not clean the break
dust , it didn\'t clean the rim . garbage.

Xenon
07-10-2004, 09:50 PM
I use Meguires Hot Shine (I think that\'s the title) it comes in a purple bottle. That stuff is stuper concentrated. It\'s perfect for that excessive brake dust we have in the back rims.

As for tires, I use that Meguires Hot Shine (again, i think that\'s the name). It comes in a black spray can with an adjustable nozzle.

bluntman
07-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Go to your local wheel and tire shop and check out a cleaner called P21S.

Newlook
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by mikespike

I used that turtle wax rim cleaner too and it was crapp. not only did it not clean the break
dust , it didn\'t clean the rim . garbage.

Last time I washed my car I sprayed it on the inside of the rims, and just left it there for like 15min. Until I finished washing one side of my car I sprayed the rims off with high jet and it shot of worked.... Not completly clean and shiny but a lot better. I couldn\'t clean the inside of the rims with my hands anyways, so that\'s better than nothing.

snipe
07-23-2004, 12:18 PM
I use SimpleGreen form Can Tire. The spray bottle is like 6.99 I think. I spray a ton of it on each rim, then start washing the car. Then use high pressure water spray to clean off the rims. All brake dust comes off easily. So far I\'ve done 3 washes and I still have some left (not enought for another wash though).

Newlook
07-23-2004, 01:11 PM
6.99 for 3 washes... should I say washing rims is a \"high maintenance item\"? :D

My rear rims now look like crap after I washed them just over 2 weeks ago.

snipe
07-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

6.99 for 3 washes... should I say washing rims is a \"high maintenance item\"? :D

My rear rims now look like crap after I washed them just over 2 weeks ago.

Yah, well that\'s nothing compared to the wax and the actual money I spend at one of those coin wash places. Gotta keep it shiny all the time :p

Grifter
07-28-2004, 09:33 AM
I use the No Touch wheel and tire care. It gets the dirt off the rims no problem, but I was them every week so there really isn\'t a chance for the dirt to get caked on. I have to say though, I got the same result using carwash soap and water, so maybe there\'s no difference and it\'s all for piece of mind? There\'s supposed to be a bit of \"protection\" from using the wheel cleaner, though :D :D :D

Newlook
07-28-2004, 12:07 PM
BTW, are these rim cleaners safe for painted calipers?

Xenon
07-28-2004, 06:32 PM
I clean my rims before I wash the car anyways, Even if they did get on the calipers, chemicals would be hosed off anyways.

bubba1983
09-23-2004, 04:35 PM
BLUNTMAN KNOWS BEST.....nothin\' but p21s products touch my car....nothin\' but the best...lil green liquid ina spray can....u can orderit from www.eshine.ca they shit out of POrt.COlbourne....so u get it in NO TIME....mmmm...how i love that p21s wax...

Newlook
09-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

BLUNTMAN KNOWS BEST.....nothin\' but p21s products touch my car....nothin\' but the best...lil green liquid ina spray can....u can orderit from www.eshine.ca they shit out of POrt.COlbourne....so u get it in NO TIME....mmmm...how i love that p21s wax...

They shit out of Port Colborne? hahaha :D

bubba1983
09-29-2004, 08:05 AM
oh amn, i think i was drunk...or high? i dunno

super_vixen
10-01-2004, 12:13 PM
I\'ve used 2 different wheel/rim cleaners, both which work amazing!

Rim Cleaner (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444220 1215&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302192103&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303515768&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=2534374303515775&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253 4374303515775&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348 027&bmUID=1096647039085)

Wheel/Rim Cleaner (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444189 0003&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374302192103&FOLDE R%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303515768&FOLDER%3C%3Ebro wsePath=2534374303515775&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253 4374303515775&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395348 027&bmUID=1096647103918)

When I use the Turtle Wax wheel cleaner, my tires look wet for over a week straight, no matter what the driving conditions. Also, if any gets onto your rims, it helps to repel any residue/brake dust, but the Meguire\'s works great also as a supplement or for touch-ups.

maldini
05-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Will these tire/rim cleaners tarnish the rims?

skunk2
05-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Simple Green....biodegradable and all that enviro friendly stuff.
I usually buy the big jug and mix my own.
Works great not just for the rims...has many uses too.
Nothing beats wiping/scrubbing the rims, results in bloody knuckles most of the time but well worth it.

nifty6
06-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

According to the web site he is located in Toronto

BLUPAULS
06-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Eshine is not in Toronto, but he does have a retailer in Toronto. I got stuff from him already, nice guy. I got the Poorboys wheel cleaner from him and it works great. His website is www.lastingshine.ca

eguiyab
06-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner is good stuff. Tried it on a recommendation from someone on here I believe. I didn\'t get my hopes up but it did a excellent job. Haven\'t washed my car since beginning of may, taken two road trips, one to michigan and back and one to niagara for 3 days and back. LOTTA caked on brake dust on the back and dirty on the front. The Eagle one stuff cleaned the front very very well and took 95% of all the caked on brake dust off on the rear. Best one i\'ve used to far. But I dont know if using a pressure washer will make a difference... I did and it seems to work very well. Used Mothers, Meguirs, Simoniz, they all do good but Eagle one is better. I used to use this one called Corel Blue from wal-mart... that was amazing... but I cant find it anymore.

nifty6
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Tried it last night, I just spray on \"spray and nine\" on all four wheels while at the coin-op car wash, let it sit for less than a minute and sprayed it off, worked great. Washed the car down with soap then had a old wash mit and redid the rims getting in behind etc. Bright and shinny with no effort at all.

Joel
06-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BLUPAULS

Eshine is not in Toronto, but he does have a retailer in Toronto. I got stuff from him already, nice guy. I got the Poorboys wheel cleaner from him and it works great. His website is www.lastingshine.ca

This web site is not the one of eshine. Is web site is eshine (http://www.eshine.ca/index.php). The one you mention is a retailler that actually get is stuff from eshine. It might be interesting if you want them locally, but the price is a bit higher.

... Sorry I misread the post. I didnt notice you were talking of the actual retailler :sarc . Well the info about esine is still true.

maldini
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Will these tire/rim cleaners tarnish the body clear coating?

Joel
06-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by maldini

Will these tire/rim cleaners tarnish the body clear coating?

I never been concern about that, but I wouldnt spray some on the paint just for fun. Most tire cleaner are alcaline. They are design to dont affect the clearcoat of the wheel, but these are stronger than the clearcoat on the paint. I would be more concern about your wax (especially carnauba) than the clear.

g_g
06-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by skunk2

Simple Green....biodegradable and all that enviro friendly stuff.
I usually buy the big jug and mix my own.
Works great not just for the rims...has many uses too.
Nothing beats wiping/scrubbing the rims, results in bloody knuckles most of the time but well worth it.

simple green is the best ive tried so far!

Geologic
07-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Anyone try this yet? Meguiar\'s NXT brand.. new item. It\'s INSAAAANE.. :D

http://tinyurl.com/9e46b

Flagrum_3
07-18-2005, 09:30 PM
I\'ve only had my 3 for two weeks now and what i do is keep a couple of rags in the trunk and wipe my rims quickly everyday,...only takes a couple of minutes.I did clay/wax my vehicle the first weekend and also waxed the rims which seems to keep the dust from grabbing to the rims....oh I used Maguire\'s 3-step with carnuba wax (3rd step) on the car and the carnuba wax on the rims,...seems to work well.I don\'t think I\'ll use anything other than car wash soap on my rims.

_3

\'

ds2chan
04-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I just tried the Meguiar\'s Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner and my rim came out super clean!! they look just like new.. I used them on my calipers also and it came out bright red again.. I\'m really amazed.. also tried this on whodilly\'s new rims and they came out all bling bling!! and his calipers are silver again.. amazing stuff..

Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca)
Product# 39-2911-0

chinsterr
04-02-2006, 11:55 PM
I must have tried all tire products, and the one that seems to do the job the best is eagle one . Here is the product code from Crappy tire --- # 39-2932-0

But i think the one i have is a little different becuase the bottle is orange and it might be named something else.

Pimpin_29y
04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ds2chan

I just tried the Meguiar\'s Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner and my rim came out super clean!! they look just like new.. I used them on my calipers also and it came out bright red again.. I\'m really amazed.. also tried this on whodilly\'s new rims and they came out all bling bling!! and his calipers are silver again.. amazing stuff..

Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca)
Product# 39-2911-0

I was there when they used the Hot Rims; great stuff indeed!! I didn\'t drive so I couldn\'t do it then but Dave lent me the bottle and after I used it tonight I am truly impressed! Great product! :p

whodilly
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
worked great on all the dirt from this winter that was on my calipers. It looks like I just painted my calipers again!

edit: I would not want to paint my calipers again! what a pain!

fourtrack78
04-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner is good stuff.

+1
This stuff is great. I didn\'t clean my rims when i put on my stocks. Last friday i put back on my stocks (they looked bad) sprayed some of this stuff on and now they look like new. It even works great for the tires.

SGT06
04-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Currently on sale at walmart for $8. Grab them while they are available.:)

Kevin@nextmod
04-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by SGT06

Currently on sale at walmart for $8. Grab them while they are available.:)
+2....
Just bought a bottle and used it. Amazing and loved it. But i got it for $12 + stupid tax. Well worth it tho.

ElPietro
06-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey folks, went to CT today to buy a few car cleaning items.

One product that I wanted to get but didn\'t, was a wheel/rim cleaner. I noticed that in every case, you had to hose it off.

Problem is, I live in a condo, and park underground, so was hoping I would find a spray and wipe solution, but couldn\'t.

Any other products out there that could achieve this? Or should I just buy the stuff you spray on and hose off, and just spray it on my rims right before entering a touchless car wash? Or will the car wash do the trick on it\'s own?

I saw someone post that they keep a spray bottle of car wash soap and use that, I guess I could do that, but would also need a fresh water spray bottle too, to get the soap off.

Arg.

Xenon
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
here\'s a tip:

The best non-Spray n\' Wash solution I have found is the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They come in a box of 6.

-Take one magic eraser, and soak it in water. Keep a bucket of water handy, as you will need to resoak the eraser.
-Wipe down your rim with the magic eraser, and the brake dust will come right off. Usually in the first wipe.
-As long as the sponge is wet, it is effective.
- Use a towel to wipe the rim dry, and your rims will look sparkling clean :D

chaser
06-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
and just spray it on my rims right before entering a touchless car wash?

I do that sometimes ;). Of course brush + hose-off does a better job.

I think most of the wheel cleaners do a similar job, so I grab the one that\'s on sale.

MidnightSpeed
06-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I sometimes use the Meguiars Hot Rims.. but I usually I have a separate bucket of car soap & water to get them nice and clean.

Ogata
09-18-2008, 09:09 PM
does waxing your rims or using stuff like stoner's tire shine void warranty?

BUMP FOR AN OLD THREAD!!

Ex-Rolla
09-18-2008, 11:54 PM
does waxing your rims or using stuff like stoner's tire shine void warranty?

BUMP FOR AN OLD THREAD!!

After cleaning, a nice coat of carnuba wax will give it a nice shine...

I just use SprayNine and a soft rim brush... works wonders.

Ogata
10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
After cleaning, a nice coat of carnuba wax will give it a nice shine...

I just use SprayNine and a soft rim brush... works wonders.

Thanks! I've actually started using Eshines product ...Wheel Wax.

http://www.eshine.ca/wheel_wax_8oz-WW.php?cat=81

Don't know if its a scam or what but I put my first coating on so far and will see what happens. Is it even nessesary to clay alloy rims? I actually don't know if my rig was infected with train dust what not.

kaval
10-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Claying rims is important since your rims see a lot more dirt than any other part of your car IMO. Treat rims like paint since they are essentially coated in the same thing as your car. Claying, polishing and waxing is something that I would see no reason for voiding your warranty. It's a preventative measure in maintaining your car.

mazdas3sporte
10-11-2008, 11:07 PM
i tried washing brake dust with a hose, which does not work at all , then i got a crappy 1200 PSI water jet from canadian tire and that woudent do the job eighter so i just use my hands to wash the rims or an old shit, after I use Armor All spray tire shine, it works pretty good, shine lasts for maybe 3 weeks but even after 1.5 month when water hits the tires it still has the oil on the tire so it beads off
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672471&bmUID=1223780925393&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441890263&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

gabbygenier
10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I bought a bottle of some armour all rim cleaner, you spray it on while the rim is dry and the brakes are cool. You can see the brake dust start to soak away, but you have to really spray alot on. I think I could go thru the bottle in 3/4 washes if you drench the rims with it. I still end up using a sponge and scrub them down. And the rotors really get in the way, with my 16\'s more so, I used a tooth brush to reach spots that the sponge couldn\'t. I bought a bottle of simple green from CT, I\'m going to try that next week see how it works. I\'ve used it on my motorcycle rims, to remove both brake dust and chain lube and it usually does a pretty good job.

Thats what i baught and used last time too. worked great, i had a LOT of brake dust on the one rim i have since hte car had gotten towed with the parking brake on. it worked awesome. only thing is i had to scrub a bit to get it all out, specially inthe corners where the spokes meet. but it weorked great compared to a few other ones i tried. took me about 20 mins and hte rim looks brand new again. pretty good considering ive had a few ppl taht asked me why i had only one gold rim on my car haha

bluemazda3
03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Oven cleaner does a great job on brake dust.. i was amazed when it took it right off my caked on rim with no effort.

4g.
03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner
+1

Hives
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I use "No Touch". It is cheap, and works perfectly, no complaints. Highly recommended!

2hit6
04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
What is a good product for cleaning rims?

m_a_t_r_i_x
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
What is a good product for cleaning rims?

are you serious? there are 3 pages of posts regarding this....