PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on ST Coilovers?

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 04:47 PM
I need opinions because I may pick them up tonight! Please lol

r4mi5awi
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Very good! Identical to KW v1s minus the stainless steel which IMO isn't worth the premium. However one of the best entry level linear spring coilovers for our platform. New can be bought for $900-1000 CDN, taxes not included. Keep in mind, if you're picking this up second hand, your warranty is void.

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Very good! Identical to KW v1s minus the stainless steel which IMO isn't worth the premium. However one of the best entry level linear spring coilovers for our platform. New can be bought for $900-1000 CDN, taxes not included. Keep in mind, if you're picking this up second hand, your warranty is void.

I picked them up so I hope they are good. May even put them on soon!

r4mi5awi
01-29-2014, 05:57 PM
They are good! So congrats! I remember shopping around for these a couple months back. German engineered too.

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Is there anything I should do to them? Weatherproof them? Thrust bearings?

S.F.W.
01-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Is there anything I should do to them? Weatherproof them? Thrust bearings?

Lithium grease on the threads and reapply a few times per year.

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks Ami will do.

jdmis250
01-29-2014, 07:19 PM
One of my frd has ST on his VW GTI, he's happy with that
But don't know how ST does on Mazda lol

jay93
01-29-2014, 07:29 PM
i know a friend that also has an account on TM3 and he's happy with them. he has no complaints he paid 1000

r4mi5awi
01-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Also, if you can and if you got time. Buy coilover socks, strut covers. They're neoprene with Velcro and wrap around the spring and shock body to protect from road sh!t during bad weather like winter.

jay93
01-29-2014, 07:41 PM
One of my frd has ST on his VW GTI, he's happy with that
But don't know how ST does on Mazda lol

they just do. it's just they way it is. lol

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Also, if you can and if you got time. Buy coilover socks, strut covers. They're neoprene with Velcro and wrap around the spring and shock body to protect from road sh!t during bad weather like winter.

Where could I look to find these things?

r4mi5awi
01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
I'll forward you a link and edit this post when I get on my PC.

EDIT:

Here you go! Wisecraker

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/coilover-suspension-shock-socks-covers-3726/

This is where I bought mine. I have no idea where you could buy these locally and it seems its a hard to find product. Living in the west of the GTA, I didn't want the headache of going too east of the city just to see if stores have them and ordered online.

I found a coupon code on some Honda forum and used it toward my purchase. It's a legit store, and they're active on forums. You get 4 and it comes with zip ties. It'll protect the threads from getting sh!t on them and help with rust.

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks r4mi, I really appreciate all the help

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Do you by any chance remember the coupon code? Lol

ottoyu34
01-29-2014, 09:48 PM
It's a winter coat for the coil. Can't wait to see you rolling the ST coils and your impression.

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 09:48 PM
I'll forward you a link and edit this post when I get on my PC.

EDIT:

Here you go! Wisecraker

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/coilover-suspension-shock-socks-covers-3726/

This is where I bought mine. I have no idea where you could buy these locally and it seems its a hard to find product. Living in the west of the GTA, I didn't want the headache of going too east of the city just to see if stores have them and ordered online.

I found a coupon code on some Honda forum and used it toward my purchase. It's a legit store, and they're active on forums. You get 4 and it comes with zip ties. It'll protect the threads from getting sh!t on them and help with rust.

I picked up a set of the 300mm. They are on their way. Thanks r4mi

Wisecraker
01-29-2014, 09:50 PM
It's a winter coat for the coil. Can't wait to see you rolling the ST coils and your impression.

I'm think I may rock them soon. But for sure by spring. The minute they are on I will post for aure

r4mi5awi
01-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Sorry I didn't help find the product code in time. I was busy with work related stuff. They're fast with shipping just in case you're in a hurry.

Personally I'd wait to install in the spring or summer to break them in at optimal temp viscosity and allow full shock travel. I'd also keep the socks on all year round, maybe machine wash them and dry after dirty rainy days so they last longer.

Use the extra two socks you get for the rear shocks by wrapping them past the Velcro (since they're skinny) and use the zip ties I suppose. Might not work.

austinSedz
01-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Using coilover socks is actually a bad idea on a galvanized steel coilover because the neoprene simply soaks in salty water and holds it against the surface of the galvanized body... which isn't rust proof at all. Neoprene is nice for protecting threads from getting gummed up, but on a galv. body, it's gunna make em rust faster.

What do I do for coilovers?

1. Take them completely apart, and grab a bottle of copper anti-cease and absolutely coat the threads in it. Spin the collars on any extra that bunches up, just smooth it back all over the threads.
2. Go down to your local Krown and buy a bottle of T-40 rust inhibitor. It's basically oil-spray in a can.
3. Install them on the car, set them up etc.
4. Go wild and spray the crap out of them with the T40. This will prevent the galvanized bodies from looking like crap after one winter, and the threads from rusting up. Silicone spray is nice, but the t-40 is thicker and slimier and stays on the car longer.

In the spring you'll be able to wash the coilovers up nicely and get all the grime off, and they will look like new.

Reapply T-40 to the coils every fall, or simply ask them to spray extra oil spray on your coilovers when you take your car to get krown sprayed before winter.

Now that I think about it, you could potentially Krown spray your coilovers, then put the coilover socks on, then spray the coilover socks with T-40 so that the socks soak in the oilspray and repell the salt water. Probably overkill but that might work too.

The Wolf
01-30-2014, 01:40 AM
Have to agree that Krown T-40 is the way to go. Be aware though that it'll make them pretty nasty to work on.

r4mi5awi
01-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Those are good ideas! I think I'll wash the socks biweekly or monthly at least to get rid of salt in the winter. Not worried at all during summer. I'll be happy enough if they actually shield the threads from road debris and crap. I plan to inspect them monthly anyways like I do my tires for air pressure.

r4mi5awi
01-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Have to agree that Krown T-40 is the way to go. Be aware though that it'll make them pretty nasty to work on.

Can't you find something similar at CT?

The Wolf
01-30-2014, 01:53 AM
Can't you find something similar at CT?

Most likely. I actually use a product by Rust Check where I need protection.

Wisecraker
01-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Using coilover socks is actually a bad idea on a galvanized steel coilover because the neoprene simply soaks in salty water and holds it against the surface of the galvanized body... which isn't rust proof at all. Neoprene is nice for protecting threads from getting gummed up, but on a galv. body, it's gunna make em rust faster.

What do I do for coilovers?

1. Take them completely apart, and grab a bottle of copper anti-cease and absolutely coat the threads in it. Spin the collars on any extra that bunches up, just smooth it back all over the threads.
2. Go down to your local Krown and buy a bottle of T-40 rust inhibitor. It's basically oil-spray in a can.
3. Install them on the car, set them up etc.
4. Go wild and spray the crap out of them with the T40. This will prevent the galvanized bodies from looking like crap after one winter, and the threads from rusting up. Silicone spray is nice, but the t-40 is thicker and slimier and stays on the car longer.

In the spring you'll be able to wash the coilovers up nicely and get all the grime off, and they will look like new.

Reapply T-40 to the coils every fall, or simply ask them to spray extra oil spray on your coilovers when you take your car to get krown sprayed before winter.

Now that I think about it, you could potentially Krown spray your coilovers, then put the coilover socks on, then spray the coilover socks with T-40 so that the socks soak in the oilspray and repell the salt water. Probably overkill but that might work too.

Yes I will probably spray the coilovers and then apply the socks. The more protection the better. Especially with coilovers.

Dave_The_BMXER
01-30-2014, 10:32 AM
I used krown, I also just never really messed with them but when I sold them to Will I was able to get them to move fine.

*edit was BC's

ottoyu34
01-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Krown T-40 might be what you want.

JrCanuck
01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
I just never drove mine in the winter :p

Wisecraker
01-31-2014, 10:43 AM
2 Part Question: Would I need camber kits or plates? and if so where is a good but not to expensive place to grab them?

Sonic31
01-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Plates are debatable, all depends on how low you plan on dropping the car, wheel offset and/or spacers you are running or plan to run, are you going to be racing/auto-x etc.

I'm dropped about 2" on the front with springs and I am able to keep the camber within spec without them. That being said, the acceptable camber range is pretty huge for the MZ3 and I don't race/track/auto-x it at all so exact adjustment to isn't hugely critical for me.

As for camber arms on the rear, probably not a bad idea.

Where to get plates: No idea, but I know corksport is the only company that makes ones you'd want to buy. There was another company (forget the name) but I am to understand their plates were crap and deformed, plus I'm not sure they even exist anymore.

Camber arms: Check the classifieds, if you're patient deals can be found. I got my SPC's used for $80. If you're not patient, check with the forum sponsors, one of em probably has em in stock.

Wisecraker
01-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Plates are debatable, all depends on how low you plan on dropping the car, wheel offset and/or spacers you are running or plan to run, are you going to be racing/auto-x etc.

I'm dropped about 2" on the front with springs and I am able to keep the camber within spec without them. That being said, the acceptable camber range is pretty huge for the MZ3 and I don't race/track/auto-x it at all so exact adjustment to isn't hugely critical for me.

As for camber arms on the rear, probably not a bad idea.

Where to get plates: No idea, but I know corksport is the only company that makes ones you'd want to buy. There was another company (forget the name) but I am to understand their plates were crap and deformed, plus I'm not sure they even exist anymore.

Camber arms: Check the classifieds, if you're patient deals can be found. I got my SPC's used for $80. If you're not patient, check with the forum sponsors, one of em probably has em in stock.

Ya its all street driving, no track. Thanks for the input

Wisecraker
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
What do you guys think of http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/auto-cycle/, should I stick to Krown spray for protecting coilovers? I want something that will hold up and not need to be applied every day.

r4mi5awi
02-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Where can you buy that stuff? My coilovers came with a small bottle. Seems like it'll be hard to get unless you live in the states and search sears to sears.

Wisecraker
02-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Where can you buy that stuff? My coilovers came with a small bottle. Seems like it'll be hard to get unless you live in the states and search sears to sears.

I haven't been able to find where they sell the Boeshield yet, it looks like Bass Pro and Sears may carry it. I have heard good things about Krown T-40 spray though as well as lithium grease. I have no idea what I am going to use.

r4mi5awi
02-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm sure all options are good. I will most likely go with something at ct.