PDA

View Full Version : TTC Tickets

wtom
07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I\'ve always wondered this but why does the TTC even bother with the paper-form tickets? Why not just use tokens all the way?

- paper-form, they need to spend extra money to have it recycled and printed (ink, press machines, etc.) and cut
- easier to duplicate over tokens

Tokens are reused over and over again, no need to spend extra money to recycle, remake, etc. But I HAVE heard of people tricking the token readers by inserting foreign coins.

So what\'s with the paper-form? Why is it so good that they just have to continue using it?

billyfo
07-13-2004, 06:29 PM
actually, printed paper still cheaper than metal.

I don\'t ride on TTC or others regularly for 10 yrs after I finished high school, but I don\'t miss it cause sometimes it is cheaper you drive than ride on bus.

Dr Butcher
07-13-2004, 09:13 PM
What is this TTC you speak of? :p

Luckily I haven\'t had to ride the rocket since my high school days, and I can barely remember them..... The only time I ever take the transit is if I\'m gonna get trashed downtown, even then I take the GO train more often than not..... I do remember paper tokens, student fare.... Ahh the memories.... :D

TM3
07-13-2004, 11:05 PM
I think they should get out of this crappy paper ticket system and use a debit card style system like in Hong Kong.. only makes sense. If they are really losing 7 million dollars per year from fake tickets, they can spend that to upgrade their ticketing system. This will also get rid of the annoying lineups during rush hour...

-RJ3-
07-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I just saw on the news that their was fake ttc tickets circulating Toronto.....They should keep it to metal

wtom
07-14-2004, 11:06 AM
I always wonder why our TTC can\'t do better. They\'re not even close to HK\'s transit system in efficiency and money-making methods (full sized ads inside AND outside the subway trains as well as full sized ads within the stations compared to our BLAH and dull stations). The \"octopus\" card is the greatest idea yet they have no mention to even consider it (unless they are privately).

The last time I took the TTC was two yrs ago during my last year of university. Even during the final yr I spent more time either driving or car pooling with friends to class. The TTC is such a time waster and it makes me MORE tired for class or after arriving home. However... \"it\'s the better way\" for a cleaner environment. :p

Newlook
07-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by wtom

So what\'s with the paper-form? Why is it so good that they just have to continue using it?

Some people prefer tickets because they can fit inside their wallets. Tokens can be bulky.

Also don\'t forget the different fares for adult, student and senior. Token is only for one single adult fare.

Newlook
07-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I always wonder why our TTC can\'t do better. They\'re not even close to HK\'s transit system in efficiency and money-making methods (full sized ads inside AND outside the subway trains as well as full sized ads within the stations compared to our BLAH and dull stations). The \"octopus\" card is the greatest idea yet they have no mention to even consider it (unless they are privately).

TTC is never close to HK\'s transit system. Actually nobody around the globe would get close to HK\'s.... The population density of HK makes transit so much efficient and profitible. The transit agencies actually make a fortune in Hong Kong.

Transits in most of the places around the globe are publicly owned. Because they lose money. Some maybe operated by private companies with government subsidies.

All transits in North America lose money every year. You hear the TTC is so poor that they don\'t have money for anything. Mike Harris downloaded transits to the municipial level and the City of Toronto couldn\'t afford this money sucker. Other cities and towns have the same problems but not as bad as the TTC. It\'s getting a bit better now with the new provincial fundings delicated to transit.

You know why we run buses from the stone ages, subway tunnels are falling apart... we need fundings from higher level of government. We need federal fundings. In the States, transit are federal and state funded. They are given money to replace their buses every 12 years.

We should be pround of our cities\' transit systems. The TTC is in fact the most efficient system in North America. It has to be efficient because there is no money to waste!

wtom
07-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Newlook

Also don\'t forget the different fares for adult, student and senior. Token is only for one single adult fare.

THAT\'s what I forgot about... the different fare amounts. Thx Newlook!