PDA

View Full Version : Discussion on *NEW* Mosport DDT

Fobio
04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
It's called DDT for Drivers' Development Track. I assume it's still called the same. I haven't been on it yet, but I'd love to hear from those who have driven on what we have considered our home track.

From the video that I've seen, as of this posting, the track's curbing isn't done, and the run-off's are rough and rutted, without any curbing. I don't see it as fit for sanctions competition as it stands. Furthermore, there's discussion as to the direction that it should be ran.

And man...we started this section like 5 yrs ago? Now guys are bringing drones to the track. Imagine a TM3 day and covered by aerial drones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Cz9dqfpbk

Kiyomi
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
ive heard that they are still working on the track with the sidings/curbings/runoffs. but there are small hidden bumps here and there which dont inspire confidence. i had small wheel spins here and there. albeit i was on winters. showed some problems with my current tune/software as the car would hit fuel cut... overall, i find it alot more fun than the previous setup. plus, im pretty sure some real fast cars could get liftoff on the back straight over the hill. you definitley feel the rear tires lose traction for a second.

from my first impression, i think it would be safer if it was run cw. running it ccw was a little bit intimidating being on it the first time. especially coming to the last turn to the front straightaway. the runoff is literally 5 feet of gravel, then concrete wall. i didnt see anyone hit it, but there were a few close calls at touge on sunday.

lazor86
04-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Here's a video of Lap Li going around the track with touge on Sunday........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG-AleU9e40

I did shoot a video of Kiyomi and his awesome Mazda3 but it did not turn out good due to too much glare :(

I agree with Kiyomi that it is a bit dangerous going ccw due to the pit exit/entrance wall sticking out and the last turn going straight towards the concrete wall. I backed off a couple of times because cars were hitting the dirt and out of control. Luckily, they were able to straighten em out!
Fobio I can probably get my buddy to cover an event. He has one of those, a very high tech one as well. He will be covering cscs and a couple of srta events this season with it.

tanspeed3
04-22-2014, 07:24 AM
I agree with Fobio and Kiyomi, the track looks wicked, but hella tight of a run off onto the front straight. My car likes to push under power when cornering (what speed doesnt) and that corner before the straight would be sketchy as hell lol. I am, however, looking forward to the banked corner utilizing the old oval track. looks awesome. And with some high lines you could carry some crazy speed through that corner. Looking forward to seeing it all nice and green with new grass to hit instead of a 6 inch drop into gravel lol.

Dave B
04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Don't tell the Mosport staff that you run the new track CCW. They refused to let us (Mobil 1 Time-Attack instructors group) run CCW and a quick look at the guard rail at the north west corner shows it is not continuous i.e. a car coming off here could easily skewer a passenger. Therefore our instructors have refused to instruct on the track going CCW.

That being said there are a few spots going CW that deserve a lot of attention. The left hander going downhill steeply on the east side of the track (where the Mobil 1 Time-Attack series used to place the timing/clerk of the course) is now approached must faster than on the old DDT. Coming off the track there with the wheels cranked hard while understeering is a great recipe for a roll over. Also the south west corner is now MUCH faster than it was and the kink that is near the top of the track on the west side has become a serious high speed corner that due to limited run off has to be treated with the greatest of respect. The widening of the track alone has led to significant speed increases.

Kiyomi
04-22-2014, 07:15 PM
^^ thats weird, because they had people from the mosport staff at touge volunteering.
tanspeed3, the oval becomes obsolete if you run ccw. the faster line is on the inside and there is alot of flat track before it begins to really slope. if there wasnt as much track space available in the oval section, then i can see the high line being quite interesting. I can see it maybe being utilized on cw. even then, the straightaway from the oval is not long enough for it to be an advantage to get a good drive off it imo. i tried it a few times, although fun, seemed much slower doing it ccw.

like i said before, i think the track maintains its technical aspect and its increased in fun factor. not necessarily increased safety.