PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic just found this problem... urgent to fix or can it wait???

01Mazda
05-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I have a 2005 Mazda 3. At a routine inspection, the mechanic found that my front struts and rear shocks need replacing and a wheel alignment with strut/shock needs to be done. He said the struts were leaking and it is not safe. I have noticed a clunking noise when I drive over speed bumps. His quote is very expensive. Is this something that needs to be done urgently or can it wait? I have some appointments coming up that require a 45 minute drive each way. Also, what is a reasonable price for all of this work? Thank you in advance!

Jdm_dudebro
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Do it ASAP. Struts are cheap. Install should be cheap. In and out under maybe 5 600 bucks? Otherwise u could potentially Cause more serious damage to the car and will end up costing you more in the long run.

loki
05-08-2014, 09:20 AM
good thing you trust the opinion of your mechanic

assuming you took it to a mechanic for a professional opinion, I suggest finding a new mechanic who's opinion you trust

Hyperion
05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Why do people always want to put off work on their car....

Fack_Dude
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Why do people always want to put off work on their car....

because they're cheap.

Aitch
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Working suspension? Who needs that?

If you feel his prices are too expensive, check out our forum's favorite shop, Street Performance (look in the Shop Reviews section).

Fack_Dude
05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
I beat on my bitch on a daily basis and bring her to jimmy on a monthly basis.

loki
05-08-2014, 10:21 AM
because their cheap.

*they're

in before boyracer or fywdyl

Flagrum_3
05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
good thing you trust the opinion of your mechanic

assuming you took it to a mechanic for a professional opinion, I suggest finding a new mechanic who's opinion you trust

Always good to get a second opinion...

OP; What was the quote for replacement btw?

_3

Lmmorden
05-08-2014, 11:59 AM
This is funny:
I'll pay you to tell me what's wrong with my car. But I really don't trust you because you bring me bad news, so I have to pay another guy who I probably won't trust either. And if he has something to say that I don't like then I'll get the third opinion.... Cross your fingers

Don't get me wrong, nothing bad with a second opinion BUT it really would do you well to get your car inspected by someone you trust the first time. Otherwise why have it looked at?

Edit : probably should have quoted Loki as I agree with him

Flagrum_3
05-08-2014, 12:10 PM
This is funny:
I'll pay you to tell me what's wrong with my car. But I really don't trust you because you bring me bad news, so I have to pay another guy who I probably won't trust either. And if he has something to say that I don't like then I'll get the third opinion.... Cross your fingers

Don't get me wrong, nothing bad with a second opinion BUT it really would do you well to get your car inspected by someone you trust the first time. Otherwise why have it looked at?

Edit : probably should have quoted Loki as I agree with him

Problem is he obviously doesn't trust his mechanic and not all mechanics are good at diagnosing or are honest!...That's why I suggested a second opinion in his case and then you take the two opinions and decide. If the shocks are gone and leaking then both opinions should be the same, right? And don't forget price varies by shop...Now if you trust your present mechanic, a second opinion is not necessary is it lol.

_3

roachkillah
05-08-2014, 12:56 PM
thats the funniest shiat, i have read all day.

I beat on my bitch on a daily basis and bring her to jimmy on a monthly basis.

Timotee
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
If you have the time, do get a second opinion and you might even find a better price. As for risking your safety, I suggest you make time and have it repaired. Better safe than sorry my friend.

Mingo85
05-08-2014, 06:14 PM
It's so easy to be skeptical now a days about anything. With reports swarming about auto shops ripping people off it's normal to be skeptical. I have to agree with many above that you should find and take it to a place you trust to begin with.

Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion but define very expensive quote?

6strings
05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
The car is 9 years old, things are going to start falling apart. I'd get it fixed.
Or if you're so skeptical get a second opinion. But you seem to be on a tight schedule, just get it fixed at get over it.

rajin929
05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
don't think twice about dropping money on a new phone
but holds off on car repairs

we're doing it wrong.

6strings
05-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Lets be a little nicer lol