PDA

View Full Version : Carputer started!!!!

MarkhamMazda3
08-02-2004, 09:14 AM
YES!!! I finally got all the parts i need for the installation (well almost) i started the installation yesturday and so far so good. i did the audio hack and it worked like a charm, the only probem is that now thr gith channel does not work with the audio cable now, i think the sodlering point for the right audio came loose or something so i have to open it up again. we started mounting the lcd in the space for the navigation but we tried to do it using a piston/shock but i am not sure if it will work so today or tomorrow i am gonna try to find a place that makes custom spring hinges or maybe find a spring and then make my own spring hinge. the laptop will sit in the trunk in its own compartment and tte cables will be run to there. i am also planning on getting a gyroscopic mouse and keyboard since you do not need a surface for the mouse. the problem i am running into is that my compaq presario 2100 only has a 7 pin output ( i think it is some special kind of s-video) and wheni try to convert it to composite using a converter, it doesnt work. it works fine with a s-video cable but the screen does not support s-video. i am tryin to find a vga to composte converter now to see if it works. anyone know where i can get one? here is the list of stuff so far that i had to buy:

3.5mm audio cable
composite video cable
5.8\" clarion monitor
2 6 inch pistons with springs
several misc hinges just for testing
epoxy
silicon
dremel bits
solder and oher misc parts

fat mike
08-03-2004, 11:00 AM
I have also started my carputer project as well. Are you planning on usuing any carputer interfaces ie. media engine ect? I have to start the insatll but lokk foward to seing yours :)

MarkhamMazda3
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, probably not. the only thing i will probably use is the speakerphone function with bluetooth. theonly problem is that if i want to use it with a wireless headset, i have to use a bluetooth one which apparentaly are no good. guess i have to hold off on that. i am also waiting on my bluetooth gps which should arrive any day now. i will post pics when i am done. i got the problem solved with the video conversion, now i am trying to do the actual hard part (the cutting ofthe dash). i will hopefully be done this week. i will keep you posted. feel free to ask any questions.

smeddy
09-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Wow, yo, how much is this project going to run you approximately??? i\'m getting my car in about a couple of days. I wanted to fix it up and all and add like a DVD player and gps system. But the computer sounds kewls too... i will be looking forward in seeing yours.

MPS
11-14-2004, 07:26 PM
I have some one that made a system for cars i think its called goldsystems comes with NAV and all other cool stuff its a P4 1gig 512 ram 100 gig HD touch screen lcd fully functional and i think the set up is under 2000$

Airman Jack
11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
sounds pretty! but what would it be USED for? is it essentially a self-installed Nav unit? or can you do more stuff like engine monitoring and such?

fat mike
11-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Airman Jack

sounds pretty! but what would it be USED for? is it essentially a self-installed Nav unit? or can you do more stuff like engine monitoring and such?

Its basically a regular computer system, so you can do nav, mp3\'s, video, dvd, but also there are OBDII (i think thats the spelling) that will plug right into the port on your computer and display full engine information. That option I think is around $150 USD.

firstmazda
11-15-2004, 08:13 PM
MarkhamMazda3 and FatMike\'s cars are gonna be in the next Bond movie!!
Agent Double-Oh-3 !:D

Airman Jack
11-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I thought we had CAN Bus or something or other that was had some funky coding on it, and that\'s why people are having trouble creating chips for our cars?

fat mike
11-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Airman Jack

I thought we had CAN Bus or something or other that was had some funky coding on it, and that\'s why people are having trouble creating chips for our cars?

I think your right! lol too manhy things to remember. I do know there are kits to hook up to computers. The link to it is on another Mazda fourm, cant remeber witch one though. God i suck lol :p

bluntman
11-16-2004, 11:01 AM
carputer thread (http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14029&highlight=carputer)

Possibly more useful information here (http://www.mp3car.com/) and here (http://www.mediaengine.org/).

fat mike
11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Nice find!