PDA

View Full Version : DVD +/- Burner help

Dr Butcher
08-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Alright, I have used many cd burners in the past and they\'ve always been a piece of cake. When I built my new system in February I splurged and bought an LG 8x Super Multi DVD drive so I could burn data to cd\'s, DVD\'s and be able to watch the odd DVD when bored. :)

My problem is that I finally have a pile of data I want to save onto a CDR and for the life of me I can\'t get the goddamned thing to work properly. I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and all it\'s done is make me 6 coasters over the last few days.... I can get it to burn but it never finishes a session. It just sits there at 100% and taunts me. From what I have read from Roxio it \'should\' recognize every burner made after 1997 so, what the hell am I doing wrong? Does anyone have this burner? I\'m using Maxell CD-R 80 XL discs at 700MB capacity could there be a compatibility problem? I have tried using Roxio software, Easy cd creator, and a freeware called Beep Burner. All with the same results. When I burn a cd it either craps out on me or says it\'s done and then spits out a cd the burner can\'t read......

HELP?

midnightfxgt
08-16-2004, 11:48 PM
What happens when you try and view the disc?
Are you upgraded fully to build 7.0.430.0 ENU? (Use Extras and Utilities to check)
Is your firmware up to date on the drive?
Have you tried different media? (IE Discs)
Are you using Drag to Disc or Creator Classic?
What is the error message if the disc craps out?

Roxio sits at 100% when its done, and will ask if you want to open Label Creator. If you reach this step you are done!

I am leaning towards Media and firmware, since it doesnt appear to be a consistant single issue.

~JOHN

Dr Butcher
08-17-2004, 09:34 AM
John, first off thanks for the input. I have posted this at three forums and at the other two all I\'ve gotten is \'use Nero\'.

Ok, I get to 100% then close the session. When I eject the disc and then put it back in the burner to try and read it, it tells me it\'s still blank although I can physically see it\'s been burned. When I try and read it through explorer, more often than not it crashes.

I\'ve been using Creator Classic because when I tried to use drag to disc it asked me to format the disc and when I did it then proceeded to tell me the disc was \'severely damaged\'. :sarc

I have the newest updates for the roxio software but I don\'t know if the firmware is the most recent. I downloaded new firmware but was too afraid to install it it case is messed up my system.

I am going to try different CD-R\'s tonight, if I have the same problem I will try and update the firmware. I have gotten it to burn audio cd\'s, I just don\'t know why it\'s giving me such fits with data.

midnightfxgt
08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
I would use different media and try to upgrade the firmware.

Do you have any other packet writing (ie. Drag and drop) type software on your system? Sonic, Ulead, BackupmyPC etc?

If it is mission critical you could use the burning software that is part of WINXP until you get it fixed.

~JOHN

Dr Butcher
08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Well I forgot to bring different CD-R\'s home from work and sadly after updating the firmware I have the same issues.

If it\'s not the media (which I\'ll try tomorrow) the burner is going back. I just burned everything I needed onto a cd using Roxio 6 with my sister\'s laptop and her DVD burner. I am beyond a little peeved.... :(

MajesticBlueNTO
08-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Dr, what model LG burner is it?

cheers

midnightfxgt
08-18-2004, 12:07 AM
If it isnt the media, and you have/had any other burning software on the machine (minus that BEEP one listed) then let me know and I can post instructions on how to recreate the upper and lower filters needed in the registry. As that could be the issue.:D

~JOHN

bluntman
08-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Is there another device on the same IDE channel as the burner? Try placing the burner alone on the secondary IDE channel as the master and see what happens. I have the GSA-4040 and I\'ve never had a problem with it. As soon as the Pioneer A08 16x (4x DL) is available (retail not OEM) I\'m going to swap out my trusted LG burner.

Dr Butcher
08-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Dr, what model LG burner is it?

cheers

I believe it\'s a GSA-4082. I haven\'t tried the different media in it yet so as of now I\'m still pissed with it. :D

midnightfxgt
08-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Your burner supports 24x for CDR and 16x for CDRW. Are you going over that? I REALLY feel that it is media, possibly the drive.

~JOHN

Dr Butcher
08-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Alright, I\'m bending over. Who wants to line up to kick my ass?

I tried different media and it worked. But I think the real culprit was that my CD-R\'s were only up to 8x writeable. I didn\'t bother lowering the write speed assuming Roxio would do it for me. It\'s been writing at 12x speed even though the media has an 8x max....

*blushes*

Thanks for all the help guys, I feel really stupid. :(

midnightfxgt
08-20-2004, 02:47 PM
HAHA I knew it!!! ;)

Guess what i do for a job?

~JOHN

midnightfxgt
08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
No one even guessed! :P

I am a tech at Roxio for the software lol....

~JOHN

Dr Butcher
08-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Nice, I thought you might have been affiliated when you asked if I had the most recent build (by number). :)

On a positive note I bought a spindle of 52x multi speed discs on the weekend. My burner or myself should have no speed issues with them..... It serves me right for busting out an ancient pack of discs that had been around since burners didn\'t even write at 12x speed yet. :sarc

Thanks again for your help.