PDA

View Full Version : Dealership wants money...

wtom
08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
More than a month after I\'ve taken delivery of my 3, the dealership is calling asking for compensation on a part that is not working on the trade-in vehicle. I have no idea that part was not working.

Dealer says the trade-in vehicle is in the process of being sold (thru wholeseller?) and the customer has found that part not working and I\'m assuming they want the dealer to have it fixed.

Now the dealer wants me to pay them $200 to cover compensation (and I assume the repair cost).

The way they brought the money into the talks it felt like it\'s not a required payment that I HAVE to make.

The part... I did not know it was broken and the appraiser should have noticed it not working during the appraisal process.

Where do I stand? Am I legally obliged to pay? Because I honestly feel it is not my fault and any cost of repairing should not be paid by myself. That\'s what the appraisal process is for; to find out what works and what doesn\'t!

fat mike
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I had the exact same problem I just never called them back lol. Theres noting they can do to make you pay!

wtom
08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
I read about this kind of \"scheme\" to try and pry more money out of us new car buyers... sheesh... and my sales guy had the nerve to ask me if it would be okay to take the money directly from my credit card which they have on file!!!!! Sh*T.... that was mistake number one to charge anything to my credit card with the dealership (my deposit).

I told him NO.

Well I did ignore the situation for a week... and today, exactly one week later, they called me and the one guy who called me last Friday, he didn\'t mention anything about money. He just ask me to write a letter to state that I honestly do not know of this part being in non-working order prior to trading it in.

Then about 15 minutes after I finished that phone call, my sales guy calls with the same issue and his emphasis was on the compensation money.

Bastards.

billyfo
08-27-2004, 07:50 PM
I don\'t think they can do it, cause if you all sign the transfer, that dealer/wholesaler already had checked the car had no problem BEFORE they re-sale to other person, that\'s would be their problem if they didn\'t check the car, or the buyer is too dumb to not have a mechanic to check the car before signing any contract.

midnightfxgt
08-27-2004, 09:44 PM
DONT PAY... what a scam, its theirs now, let them deal with it.

OR

Tell them you knew it wasnt working, and would have wanted $300 more for the trade-in had it worked. So you will pay to fix it, and they can give you $300 LOL

~JOHN

MajesticBlueNTO
08-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Do NOT pay them. the contract you signed does not give them the right to come after you after the fact.

fact of the matter is, the car should\'ve been inspected carefully by them but wasn\'t so it\'s their own damn fault.

read the bill of sale/contract and see if it says any of that BS.

don\'t even write a letter....ignore them. better yet, tell them you\'re going to Silverman Helps or the APA if they keep harassing you.

wtom
08-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Heheh I just love the Internet :)

Yep I\'m not going to do anything. I think the same thing about them checking more thoroughly during the appraisal process; isn\'t that what this process is for?

No money, no letter, nothing!

Thx all!

dinu01
08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Do nothing. It\'s like you wanting to get $500 back after 2 months and 5000kms b/c you don\'t feel the tires are good enough (and they realy aren\'t)

Snipes
08-30-2004, 06:56 AM
When a dealership takes a trade in they buy it \"AS IS\". There is nothing they can do to get money out of you after they have taken the ownership of the car. It\'s just like if you bought a car privately and it was \"AS IS\". You are responsible for fixing anything that is required to get it on the road. Therefore they are stuck with having to pay the repair bills. DEFINITELY DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. It\'s their problem not yours.

Dr Butcher
08-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Caveat Emptor :D

wtom
08-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

Caveat Emptor :D

HAHAHAHA good one!!!

Dr Butcher
08-30-2004, 02:24 PM
A friend of a friend bought a GMC Jimmy off a woman one time. We went out and test drove it and it ran like a dream, it had a lot of km\'s on it but it was a pretty nice ride. He agreed to purchase it and said he\'d pick it up a week later. In the meantime his car broke down and he called the lady and asked if he could have it early. She reluctantly agreed.

The night comes and we drive out there to pick the truck up and he jokingly says, \"what\'s the warranty on the truck.\" She says \"50 feet or 50 seconds whichever comes first\". On the way home from Courtice he started to slow down in Pickering and pulled into a gas station so I figured he needed gas. We stop and he pops the hood and pulls out the dipstick, the friggin thing was smoking.... It turned out to be a faulty oil pump which had seized the engine..... And the car was in his posession for about 30 minutes.

He tried to take the lady to court and when the judge heard his case all he said was \"Son, do you know what Caveat Emptor means?\" and tossed the case out.

wtom
08-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Dr Butcher

He tried to take the lady to court and when the judge heard his case all he said was \"Son, do you know what Caveat Emptor means?\" and tossed the case out.

Hopefully I can get the same treatment IF things go that sour. I should just say that too if my sales guy decides to call me back asking me for the $200... \"son, do you know what caveat emptor means? no? look it up! bye!\" and hang up. :)

billyfo
08-30-2004, 05:39 PM

Sorry I DON\'T know

MajesticBlueNTO
08-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

Sorry I DON\'T know

caveat emptor = buyer beware

wtom
08-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Originally posted by billyfo

Sorry I DON\'T know

caveat emptor = buyer beware

Don\'t worry, Billy, I learnt it in a marketing course in university and even the first few times it was mentioned, I didn\'t know what it was either. I had to walk up to the prof and personally ask him what it meant. :p

billyfo
08-31-2004, 07:38 PM
thanks for the explaination:) . But is it French?
well I only took business courses when I was in Uni. but never heard of this word, may be my courses didn\'t need this or I was never paid attention to prof:D

wtom
08-31-2004, 09:54 PM
It\'s latin :)

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=caveat+emptor

wtom
09-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Well well well, my sales guy called in a follow up to the issue about the not-working odometer. Seems the money wasn\'t mandatory because now he\'s kinda begging for me/my dad to write up the letter with estimate of how many km\'s should be on the odom up to the date we gave the dealership our car (the Buick).

Lucky because of this board and the nice people who replied, I saved myself a few bills...

muahahahaha...

Salesguy mentioned (second time i heard this, from a different person tho) without that letter, the wholesaler can take the issue to court (take who? us or the dealership?). hmm....

It just makes me think if that letter means more than preventing the court situation? Will it be proving something that we never said? What\'s your take on this letter they want us to write and sign (my dad)? TIA!

MajesticBlueNTO
09-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Well well well, my sales guy called in a follow up to the issue about the not-working odometer. Seems the money wasn\'t mandatory because now he\'s kinda begging for me/my dad to write up the letter with estimate of how many km\'s should be on the odom up to the date we gave the dealership our car (the Buick).

Lucky because of this board and the nice people who replied, I saved myself a few bills...

muahahahaha...

Salesguy mentioned (second time i heard this, from a different person tho) without that letter, the wholesaler can take the issue to court (take who? us or the dealership?). hmm....

It just makes me think if that letter means more than preventing the court situation? Will it be proving something that we never said? What\'s your take on this letter they want us to write and sign (my dad)? TIA!

i dunno about writing a letter...i\'m as weary as you are. if they REALLY wanted to know the estimated kms reading on the odometer, they should check the MTO records by getting a UVIP ($20). that should show the kms at the last registration.

don\'t write a letter, that puts the blame on you since it will be a legal and binding document.

ng3
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
For me it\'s the other way around but I\'ve been lucky so far... When they called me to tell me my M3 was at the dealer, the check engine light was on on the trade in... so I went to a shop, paid 35 cash and they turned the light off... no questions asked... also from the time of the appraisal to delivery date I put an additional 10K on the car, so there is nothing they can do to you after you took delivery of your car...

I have gone back to the dealer and 3 months after I got the car my old one is still there, in the back of a yard, broken in without the deck I left in it... So if they don\'t give a sh** about it why should I? (I also still have the second set of keys that they never asked for)

It\'s their problem...

swales
09-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Like everyone else said, Don\'t give them a thing...no letter and definetly no money. Do you think if you called them up even 1 hour after you bought the car and asked for an additional discount that they would give it to you? They would just say you\'re SOL because you had an agreement. I wouldn\'t even answer their calls anymore.

wtom
09-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Thx guys, so far so good... I\'ve ignored all of their requests.