PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for good vinyl wrap shops

Cyclic
08-30-2014, 04:41 PM
I did a search, found WrapID to be about the only other good place for wraps other than Auto-Links. I booked an appointment with Auto-Links a week in advance for tints and to have my roof wrapped the same day. The day of the appointment, they called me and informed me that the wrap I wanted is out of stock... lol I don't even know how something like that happens. Anyway, being the impatient person that I am, does anyone know of a good shop with quality vinyl and workmanship?

bilinz
08-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I got my tails tinted and roof wrapped by WrapID. Richard and Ron are good guys and I've had no complaints. I know Audio Heaven does tints but I dont know about the wrap for the roof.

Jackal
08-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Restyleit.

Hyperion
08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
What did you want wrapped?

Cyclic
08-30-2014, 05:55 PM
What did you want wrapped?

My roof in gloss black.

Hyperion
08-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Stay away from gta wrapz. I've worked on 2 tm3 members cars who had their roof done by them and they both have rust from where it was cut too deep.

Cyclic
08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Stay away from gta wrapz. I've worked on 2 tm3 members cars who had their roof done by them and they both have rust from where it was cut too deep.

Damn lol I didn't know that could even happen from wrapping. Thanks for the warning.

aris
08-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Ask @jon (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/member.php?u=3833)jon.... He had his car wrapped a couple times

S.F.W.
08-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Ask @jon (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/member.php?u=3833)jon.... He had his car wrapped a couple times
He uses RestyleIt former sponsor that also does good work.

Cyclic
08-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks for recommendations guys, appreciate it. Question though. I noticed Restyleit uses Hex'Press vinyl and I've never heard of that brand. How does that compare to 3M and Avery that Auto-Links and WrapID uses?

Cyclic
08-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Oh another thing... they have 2 locations, one in Markham and one in Vaughan. Should I consider one over the other?

Jackal
08-31-2014, 12:12 AM
Oh another thing... they have 2 locations, one in Markham and one in Vaughan. Should I consider one over the other?

Believe Restyleit moved to a new location in Vaughan from Markham.

S.F.W.
08-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Believe Restyleit moved to a new location in Vaughan from Markham.
Didn't move added a location.

Ads7903
09-01-2014, 10:55 PM
My tint guy does amazing wraps but says the roof is pretty straight forward and I should be able to do it on my own. With products like the knife less tape and Avery's high gloss vinyl the application is pretty easy. Regardless, I'll give it a go and get back to ya! Fingers crossed.

Cyclic
09-02-2014, 07:19 AM
My tint guy does amazing wraps but says the roof is pretty straight forward and I should be able to do it on my own. With products like the knife less tape and Avery's high gloss vinyl the application is pretty easy. Regardless, I'll give it a go and get back to ya! Fingers crossed.
Ads7903 let me know how it turns out with some pics!

Dave_The_BMXER
09-02-2014, 07:41 AM
GTA Wraps did my old roof, it was ok. I didn't notice any rust but it as lifting near the hatch area. They said I could bring it back to fix it but I never got a chance to.

Restyle It was kind of pushy with the color they thought I should do and never called me back after I went in and spoke with them about the color I wanted so they will most likely never get my business.

There is a new company called Sekan Skin doing wraps too now. They did DeadMau5s Ferrari thing.

bilinz
09-02-2014, 09:19 AM
GTA Wraps did my old roof, it was ok. I didn't notice any rust but it as lifting near the hatch area. They said I could bring it back to fix it but I never got a chance to.

Restyle It was kind of pushy with the color they thought I should do and never called me back after I went in and spoke with them about the color I wanted so they will most likely never get my business.

There is a new company called Sekan Skin doing wraps too now. They did DeadMau5s Ferrari thing.
I loved his purrari. Too bad he took it all off and went back to "vanilla" as he calls it because they threatened legal action against him.

Hyperion
09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks for recommendations guys, appreciate it. Question though. I noticed Restyleit uses Hex'Press vinyl and I've never heard of that brand. How does that compare to 3M and Avery that Auto-Links and WrapID uses?
Hexis isn't even in the same league as Avery. Let alone playing the same game.

GWN
09-03-2014, 12:00 PM
I loved his purrari. Too bad he took it all off and went back to "vanilla" as he calls it because they threatened legal action against him.

that thing was the worst. glad ferrari took action.

as far as vinyl goes I did my camo myself using oracle, no issues and went on pretty easy... with the help of josh lol. it's held up well so far

The Wolf
09-03-2014, 01:03 PM
What legal recourse could Ferrari possibly have?

Default User
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Same thing as Disney

GWN
09-03-2014, 11:01 PM
What legal recourse could Ferrari possibly have?

best guess is "tarnishing the image" in some sort of legal terms lol. also, he removed the ferrari badges and replaced them with purrari badges or something

The Wolf
09-04-2014, 12:57 AM
I guess the threat of action is the real weapon that Ferrari is using. He didn't want to deal with them so he took the wrap and badges off and started driving Lamborghini's.

I just thought that when you buy something, it becomes your property and you are able to do what you want with it. I could see suing if he's selling Purrari badges or something but yeesh. Makes Ferrari look downright silly.

expir3d
09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Just to derail this thread a little more...

http://www.mixmag.net/news/nissan-cure-deadmau5s-purrari-blues-with-nyan-cat-skyline-gt-r

Cyclic
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Hexis isn't even in the same league as Avery. Let alone playing the same game.
Hyperion So Avery > Hexis? That's great then, I won't have to cancel my appointment with WrapID. Thanks!

The Wolf
09-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I guess the threat of action is the real weapon that Ferrari is using. He didn't want to deal with them so he took the wrap and badges off and started driving Lamborghini's.

I just thought that when you buy something, it becomes your property and you are able to do what you want with it. I could see suing if he's selling Purrari badges or something but yeesh. Makes Ferrari look downright silly.
Well not Lamborghini's, McLaren's.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/15012634990_595d5e54ee.jpg

jwoods_24
09-10-2014, 01:42 PM
3M > painters tape > plastic wrap > Avery > Hexis..

Hyperion
09-10-2014, 02:20 PM
3M > painters tape > plastic wrap > Avery > Hexis..
Wat?
You are poorly misinformed if you think 3M is better than Avery.

jwoods_24
09-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Wat?
You are poorly misinformed if you think 3M is better than Avery.

I have a bias, but it is based on experience. Yes, both 3M and Avery Certified. Avery's Customers Service is another deterrent. Compare warranty (both horizontal and vertical), tensile at yield, memory/applied shrinkage and workability (post heating). Avery does offer many more colours, and will run custom dye-lots on orders over 500 linear yards.

If anybody has any specific questions, I welcome PM's for more information and photos. I don't want to clutter the thread. Ultimately, it is your vehicle and the choice is yours.

Cyclic
09-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I have read mixed opinions and many installers have said 3M is easier to work with and others say Avery stretch better than 3M. Hexis is more popular over in Europe and some think that brand is better for full car wraps. When I booked with Auto-Links at first, I thought I was going in for 3M judging from their website but when they quoted me, it said Avery film. When I asked why, they told me Avery is better for the gloss black roof. I guess it just depends on what type of application you're looking for because I also read that certain brand is better around round objects, full car wraps, 'flat' surfaces and so on. But I'm no expert, I just pay them after doing some research and choose what sounds best to me lol.

Cyclic
09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Oh I forgot to say that for a non-pro like me, if I were to do it myself, the brand would probably matter but for the pro shops, the high quality brands don't matter as much as a quality shop that will do a clean job.

deepinmod
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
GTA Wraps is not bad

Default User
11-18-2014, 01:05 PM
GTA Wraps is not bad

I know a few people that have gone to them and happy with the work. However, I've also heard of some shady business work from them (Advertising work that they did not do)

shub
11-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I've heard decent things about Hexis, but haven't wrapped cars myself so I won't interject too much. There are also a few, much cheaper, eBay brands.
I know a shop in KW that does wraps. If you want their name, feel free to drop me a PM :)

Cyclic
11-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Lol thanks guys but I've already had my car vinyl wrapped quite awhile ago.

deepinmod
11-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Huh, that is not good, will keep that in mind, thanks for the tip :)

deepinmod
11-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I know a few people that have gone to them and happy with the work. However, I've also heard of some shady business work from them (Advertising work that they did not do)

Huh, that is not good, will keep that in mind, thanks for the tip

drey
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm thinking about getting my roof wrapped too. About 20% of the roof has lost it's clear coat. Is there any negatives about wrapping the roof in this condition?

Hyperion
12-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting my roof wrapped too. About 20% of the roof has lost it's clear coat. Is there any negatives about wrapping the roof in this condition?

More clear coat may come up when you remove it, but if you're going to scrap the car eventually, no use painting it. You will see lines where the clean coat has broken away.