PDA

View Full Version : Anyone snowboard?

bluntman
09-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Since moving to warmer climates during the winter months to play golf is out of the question I\'ll need something to keep me out of trouble during the winter.

Is it expensive to get into? Are there any hills in the city? Aside from a board and bindings, what else will I need?

teambedlam
09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mit-gee-mui There\'s also a mountain I pass every day on my way to Guelph. I don\'t know the name of it though, but at late nights in the winter, I see people skiing/snowboarding down the mountain and using the ski lifts.

That would Be Glen Eden. On the south side of the 401 just past Milton. It\'s probably closer then Moonstone. They allow boarding. They even have group snow tubing discounts

wtom
09-07-2004, 11:25 PM
I\'ve been to Uplands (laugh all you want) at Yonge and 407 (west, at the very west end of Uplands Crescent... or was it Drive...). Very beginners\' hills. I\'m still a noob at snowboarding. Fallen more than enough (stalled more than enough?) but no major bruises or injuries at all. My gf is similar level also but she\'s taken some hard bumps, just bruising.

I hate this learning curve of snowboarding but I really want to learn it well.

I\'ve bought goggles, gloves, jacket, pants, ... and I believe that\'s it. I haven\'t looked into getting my own board/bindings/boots yet but I\'ve only gone snowboarding like 3 or 4 times in my life (basically in the past two winters). We should have a TM3 club get together at one of the hills sometime haha.

bluntman
09-08-2004, 10:03 AM
That\'s great news, Uplands is right around where I live so there\'s no need going all the way up north (or even out of the city).

david3
09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I used to snowboard weekly during the winter when we lived in Alberta. Last winter I didn\'t even go to a real hill, just built some jumps on a small hill we have around my house. Now that I can drive I\'m hoping to do some more.

snipe
09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
I\'ve been to Glen Eden a few times, it\'s a nice fun hill. I\'m not familiar with Uplands. Anyone know if it\'s bigger or smaller than Centennial Hill? I live close by Centennial Park, and I used to go skiing a lot when my freind worked there cause he got me free lift tickets. :) But not anymore.

fat mike
09-08-2004, 02:56 PM
I would love to snowboard again just dont have the time for it :( it sadens me because i have a nice new burton custom sitting at home lol

majic
09-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Since moving to warmer climates during the winter months to play golf is out of the question I\'ll need something to keep me out of trouble during the winter.

Is it expensive to get into? Are there any hills in the city? Aside from a board and bindings, what else will I need?

i spent 3 bills taxes in 2 yrs ago at sportcheck - sale..

a board 279 (marked down to 99)
bindings 49
boots (now it\'s ALL ABOUT COMFORT - can\'t stress this more) 199 but they were marked 99 (wrong price tag and i said.. yo.. gimme for 99 or i leave and my 4 buddies as well :P we dropped over a grand .. lol..it was mainly beginner stuff too :(

so 100+50+100 plus u may want gogles anywhere b/w 20-200 bux.. also, invest in a snow suit that\'s waterproof.. u\'ll need it first few days.. and a pillow for your ass and kneepads :D

if you liek snowboarding on day 1, there\'s something wrong with you :p
most of my friends including myself were ready to quit after spending 90% of day 1 on our asses or knees..

as for chair lifts $20-40 depends on the duration, time of day and whether you havea group discount.

I like:
mt. tremblant (montreal) 50bux - only been there on skule trips
blue mountain (collingwood) 35bux
Dagmar (ajax/durham region) 30bux
haven\'t been to glen eden but i hear season passes are decent there ($$ wise)
there are a few others such as hockley valley and horseshoe (pretty good too)

check this out ski places in ontario (http://skicentral.com/ontario.html)

hope this helps

Xenon
09-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I ski... call me up whenever

MAZDA Kitten
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Ive been snowboarding since 1996.

If you need lessons ... HOLLA! :D

billyfo
09-09-2004, 10:03 PM
I am too old to learn:D

MAZDA Kitten
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

I am too old to learn:D

Never too old. Ive taught so many people. People who I thought wouldnt get it.. actually got it.

Thing with snowboarding and how its different than skiing. Learning curve on skiis is a lot faster as opposed to snowboarding. BUT the progression level on a snowboard is ALOT faster than skiis.

wtom
09-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I would be interested to gather together for a TorontoMazda3 snowboard outting sometime during the coming winter. We can all meet up at a central resort with our FRS radio and have an awesome time... MAZDA Kitten will be our instructor. :D

snipe
09-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Thing with snowboarding and how its different than skiing. Learning curve on skiis is a lot faster as opposed to snowboarding. BUT the progression level on a snowboard is ALOT faster than skiis.

I think that\'s very true. Althought I\'ve never snowboarded in my life and can\'t comment on how easy/hard it is, I can say that becoming good in skiing is very challenging.

Originally posted by wtom
I would be interested to gather together for a TorontoMazda3 snowboard outting sometime during the coming winter. We can all meet up at a central resort with our FRS radio and have an awesome time... MAZDA Kitten will be our instructor.

I\'d be down for some skiing up north, or even Glen Eden or something. I\'m assuming it\'s obvious we\'re all going to go in our 3s. So my question is this, the Sport might be able to squeeze a snowboard in the back, but I need a roof ski rack or something for my skiis. I\'m sure one will come out soon, but I doubt it\'ll be this year. Anyone have suggestions for a ski rack?

majic
09-12-2004, 11:26 AM
it\'s MUCH different from skiing. The fist thing you\'ll notice is that your feet can no longer move feely. by then you usually end up doing a faceplant :p

but if you\'ve done skateboarding or wakeboarding it\'s the same rhythm, just on snow.. and going downhill.. if you pick up sports pretty easily, you\'ll be on your feet by the end of day 1 or 2 (meaning - able to balance, get up, maybe turn one way) but then again it took about 2 seasons for my buddy\'s gf to get comfortable at turning and snowboarding both ways (you kinda need to know how to do it in case you have to avoid a collision or from going on a double diamond :D

i would say get an instructor (or a friend who\'s good) to guide you through some of the first steps and then you\'re good to go. i learned on my own but the first day i HATED the sport.. oh yah.. your wrists and forearms as well as your knees and butt will be sore as hell :p

as for the roof rack.. can\'t you recline the front seat down as much as you can, fold down the rears and put the skiis in that way? (depends on how long they are i guess and if the front seat reclines that far)

Derksen
09-14-2004, 01:03 PM
I\'ve been boarding for about 10 years. Ontario terrain is ok. Mt. St. Louis usually has a better park than Blue. Both are in the same hood. I find that MSL is cared for more but doesn\'t have great terrain for just cruisin.

Glen Eden... I learned to ski there from age 4! It\'s ok. You\'re down the hill in no time. I reccomend Blue to start.

Bluntman, you can come out with me some time. Colin (that other guy we golfed with) boards quite a bit too. I can teach you the ropes, but chances are you will be spending the majority of time on your ass..... by yourself! It takes time.