PDA

View Full Version : FRS Radios

firstmazda
09-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Hey guys,
do most all of you have them? what brand do you recommend?
and how much do they cost?

Xenon
09-08-2004, 07:46 AM
At meet #4, about 3/4 of our members had them, if not more.

FRS (Family Radio System/Service) Radios range in Cost. The most common brands are Audiovox and Motorola.

A pair of Audiovox FRS Radios go for about $34.99 at Best Buy. These are the ones that I use.

Motorola ones, although they can be much more expensive, go for about $44.99 (cheapest I have seen, could be less) to $129.99 for a pair. Obviously the price difference is the Quality.

In general Motorolas are a bit better than the Audiovox. When choosing an FRS Radio, try to find one that has the following features:
Sub-Channels (Audiovox has 14 channels, and to each channel there are 12 sub-channels)
Handsfree (sometimes it\'s usefull, but it doesn\'t always work)
a feature where it adds a small beep when you let go of the talk button so people know you finished talking (Most radios have this).

All and all, don\'t spend more than $50 for a pair. Unless you want it for extra range. Most radios come with a 3.2 km (2 mile) range, which for cruises, is more than enough. I don\'t think that in a cruise there will be more than 3 km between the first car and the last.

One last thing: A good investment may also be rechargable batteries. I have Energizer Rechargables in mine, after 3 recharges, the batteries paid for themselves.

david3
09-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Xenon
Sub-Channels (Audiovox has 14 channels, and to each channel there are 12 sub-channels)

Actually the audiovox ones have 38 sub-channels (they are marketed as \'privacy channels\'). They are about $40 at futureshop.

wtom
09-09-2004, 11:23 AM
If everything goes as planned, I\'ll be picking up a pair of Motorola T5725 NiCd-rechargeable FRS radios tonight from a guy I know thru eBay. Slightly used but he guarantees they are just like brand new;

This is one of the dude\'s auctions (he has a source for these \"slightly used\" radios);

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20383&item=5719328 422&rd=1

If anyone else is interested to pick up a pair. Great for the slopes too and road trips as well as fishing.

firstmazda
09-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by wtom

If everything goes as planned, I\'ll be picking up a pair of Motorola T5725 NiCd-rechargeable FRS radios tonight from a guy I know thru eBay. Slightly used but he guarantees they are just like brand new;

This is one of the dude\'s auctions (he has a source for these \"slightly used\" radios);

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20383&item=5719328 422&rd=1

If anyone else is interested to pick up a pair. Great for the slopes too and road trips as well as fishing.

Hey those look nice!! how much? and how soon can he get them?
I might be interested.

I as about to buy a pair of Audiovoxs but I know Motorola is a better brand.

(He doesn\'t have any in Titanium to match my 3 does he?? j/k)

Ray

wtom
09-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi firstmazda, yeah I like them too although I wish they were water-proof for the slopes in winter time! I believe the T5725 only come in the blue.

Holy crap, coincidence... the guy just called me as I was replying with this msg. I told him I may have one friend coming to check out the radios so he says he\'ll bring an extra set just in case. They\'re $45 flat for everything you see in the auction (please note this is a private sale, no taxes, no protection from ebay).

I\'m meeting up with him at 6:30pm in the plaza parking lot of Warden and Hwy 7 (McDonald\'s and Roger\'s video parking lot) TODAY (Thur 9th).

Note: This same set, brand new in box, from Best Buy is $99.99 + tax the last time I checked. Futureshop.ca HAD them a few days ago but now they aren\'t even listed online... wtf... $89.99 on Motorola.ca

firstmazda
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
where will he bring it out? at meet #5?
$45 is a wicked price. I think i\'m in on this.

wtom
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
God Damn PM limit... screw it I\'m posting publically;

Hey firstmazda, the seller of the radios is not a Mazda3 owner. He\'s someone I know thru eBay.

I\'m meeting up with this guy tonight 6:30pm at Warden and Hwy7 plaza (north east corner) parking lot (in front of McDonald\'s and Roger\'s Video).

I asked him to bring a second set because you mentioned you would like to get a set also.

If you are free around 6:30pm, give me a call (edit/removed). We can go meet up with him together, and yes $45 for one set (everything shown in pic below).

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/5c/0f/9f_1.JPG

I\'m getting them tonight because I want to have a set handy for Meeting of Mazdas on Sunday.

firstmazda
09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I asked him to bring a second set because you mentioned you would like to get a set also.

If you are free around 6:30pm, give me a call We can go meet up with him together,

I\'m getting them tonight because I want to have a set handy for Meeting of Mazdas on Sunday.

Hey, Sorry I didn\'t call you, I just got the message, I got called away from the computer.

So did you get a pair? I\'m really interested. You think there\'s a way for him to come out to meet 5? I live and work out west and usually work late. ( I don\'t know anything East of spadina either!)

so anyways, yeah, I\'m definitely gonna get a pair, whenever it is i can get it. just tell him to keep a set aside for me.

Ray

wtom
09-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey firstmazda, no probs about Thurs night. I picked up one set from him and although they do show signs of use (dusty and a bit of dirtiness on the face) functionality is 100% there. He did mention to me the batteries may have been used (charged, used, recharged, etc.) up to three-quarters of their lifetime at the max. They are Ni-Cad rechargeables.

I\'ll talk to him to see if he can drop by AMC Kennedy Commons on Sat. Sept 25th for our fifth meet.

Anyone else interested in a set of Motorola T5725 Ni-Cad pak? I can\'t promise the price but I paid $45 for the entire set (pic URL in previous post, above).

mEtH
10-09-2004, 09:34 AM
I just met up with Jack today. Out of the 6 sets he soldat the last meet, mine was the one with a very minor problem. The Nicd battery would not charge for one of them, but he handled it like a true business man and completely swapped out my whole set.

The quality of these radios is great and would recommend them to anyone ESPECIALLY FOR THE PRICE!!!!

He was asking when our next meet was because he did say he still has some more sets. So if any members that are looking towards getting some radios that couldn\'t make it out to the last meet would still like to purchase them let me know and I can tell him.

Dr Butcher
10-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Warren, I\'m interested in a second set of these for my brother. I should be at the next meet, but if not, is there another way I can hook myself up with another set?

Thanks

dredd2099
10-09-2004, 08:46 PM
hey mr chris
i owe ur bro a cd
mayb i should just give it to u and just forward to him whenever

back on topic
the motorola radios are good quality
and for the price mr warren can get em for
cant go wrong

Dr Butcher
10-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by dredd2099

hey mr chris
i owe ur bro a cd
mayb i should just give it to u and just forward to him whenever

Whatever you want to do is cool. I have a party to go to the night of the next meet so, depending on the time of the meet I may or may not go. My bro hasn\'t mentioned anything to me about the cd because he got the system working ok with Win2K.

The radios are killer, for the price you can\'t beat \'em...

mEtH
10-10-2004, 02:46 PM
hey Butcher, send me a pm with you email and i\'ll send it over to him. Not sure how many ppl are looking to getting these and i know he lives in the markham area. You might be able to work something out with him by meeting down there in case you cant make the meet. Let me know.

Not sure if Warren has been on with all that mess, so i\'ll just send it over to him.

wtom
10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Thx methodyst to take care of things regarding Jack and his Motorola T5725\'s. Maybe you can invite him to our Oct 30th meet too if there\'s more interest to purchase. He enjoyed our Mazda3 meet #5...