PDA

View Full Version : FRS Radios

wtom
09-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Mainly for Xenon, can you advise for those members who have or will have FRS radios, which channel and sub channel to be on? ie. 3/3 for all future meets and get togethers? That way we can all set it before heading out and if we can\'t find the group, we\'ll just beep each other. TIA!

teambedlam
09-09-2004, 05:50 PM
i\'ll have mine on 3 while driving to the pre-meet. Unfortunatly i got one without sub-chanels. Although it does have hands free which makes shifting and talking much easier.

Xenon
09-09-2004, 07:53 PM
On all cruises we use Channel 3, with no sub-channel. We reserve Sub-channels for side converstions.

teambedlam
09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Xenon On all cruises we use Channel 3, with no sub-channel. We reserve Sub-channels for side converstions.

Thats good to hear. Guess i won\'t be having any private side conversations :(

Xenon
09-09-2004, 09:15 PM
To Date, I don\'t think anyone has had side convos anyways... We\'re all one big happy family :) no need to separate people.

I can see in the future, when out cruises get large enough that we may have to use the sub-channels if we split the cruise up into groups, but until then...

wtom
09-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Channel 3 it is and sub-channel set to 0 on my two \"new\" Motorola T5725\'s! :)

bubba1983
09-10-2004, 02:22 PM
hmm...i jus bought a pair of motorolla T4905 in preparation for MOM...i\'m a little new to these things...when you say \"sub-channel\" do u mean that little number in the top right of the display??

billyfo
09-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

hmm...i jus bought a pair of motorolla T4905 in preparation for MOM...i\'m a little new to these things...when you say \"sub-channel\" do u mean that little number in the top right of the display??

me too, I just get the same set

yes, the small # is the sub-channel.

wtom
09-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Look what you got us into, Xenon... FRS Frenzy! It\'s all good... :D

Xenon
09-11-2004, 12:32 AM
You\'ll thank me on the cruise :p

wtom
09-13-2004, 01:46 AM
You were right! :)

The FRS were extremely handy! Kept us together, front car (Xenon) provided heads-up warnings to the rest of the pack. If anyone in the back was separated, we would instantly know and can park safely by the side of the road to wait up. No regrets in grabbing my radios! The batteries are still reading the same number of bars (of power) remaining. :)

bubba1983
09-13-2004, 05:04 PM
radio\'s i got were a good investment also.....tho i may only use them for when i come out to meets..blabla, its till worth the money..i love 5km range!!!

wtom
09-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

radio\'s i got were a good investment also.....tho i may only use them for when i come out to meets..blabla, its till worth the money..i love 5km range!!!

Tons of uses, especially road trips with more than one car, going out of town with other ppl/friends, fishing, camping, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, boating/canoeing... even going to the mall i\'ve seen quite a number of FRS radio users inside the mall (customers, not staff).

It was awesome on Sunday, closing towards Hwy 97 and we\'re like \"Toronto Mazda3 here, is that you bubba or fat mike or mazda3 mike?\" hahaha

Even better when we were approaching the gatehouse at the park and the TOProtege guys were like \"which group is this?\" and we\'re all responding... how sweet it is!