PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mazda 3 Gs manual transmission - ticking noise

Donand01
11-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Hello, I have a new 2014 Mazda 3 gs manual and have noticed a ticking sound from the engine while in neutral. Radio and heater off. The engine is quiet except for this continuous ticking sound. The minute the gas is pressed even slightly the sound stops. Is this normal with this engine. Is rather bothersome and quite loud inside the car. Anyone else have the same issue?

Johns 08 3 GT
11-27-2014, 11:47 AM
It could be the sound of the high pressure fuel pump. They make a ticking noise.

Take it back to the dealer if you are unsure though.

Stathakos
12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
This is likely the common ticking that is found on almost every mazda 3. Next time you hear it try to get an audio recording of it

Donand01
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Hello again...

Thanks for the replies... Been back to the dealer 4 times, they hear the tick/tapping sound said they have no idea (not something they have heard before)...left the car with them, called me today indicating they have great news that they fixed the problem and the sound is no longer present...they replaced the purge valve. I picked up the car drove 20 mins and lo and behold the noise returned.

This noise started after the first oil change.. the sound is at idle only after driving for about 15 mins (once the engine is hot) and can be heard better inside the car than outside the car. I mentioned to the tech about checking the fuel pump, but he advised me that the fuel pump is in the back of the car...Is the fuel pump located on the left side of the engine and the high pressure fuel pump is driven by the exhaust cam? Perhaps I may have this wrong.

They gave me a loaner Mazda3 and this one did not have this noise while in idle. I understand the engine is noisy compared to my 2007 mazda 3 but this is a distinct tapping noise which goes away only when the RPM is increased (touch of gas, pressing the window button).

I have an audio recording..not sure how to add it on here.

Much appreciated.

sarujo
12-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Could be fuel injectors. Check the belt tensioner. These were problematic in the gen1&2 era at least.

When it starts to make the noise, can you open the hood and try and locate the location that way to steer in a more precise location?