PDA

View Full Version : How to drive over speed bumps

wtom
09-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Answer to either, from your experience, and maybe explain why too. I always think it\'s better to go over the bumps two wheels at the same time (we\'re talking about non-lower cars here) as opposed to one side/wheel (other wheel cuts through the non-speed-bump part if any)...

EDIT: Didn\'t actually finish my explanation; speed bumps... do they affect the springs/suspension? Because that is my thinking to go over bumps two wheels at a time. You never replace only ONE spring/suspension so if you go over the bumps only on one side of the car, the suspension on that side will be affected more (unless of course you alternate left and right sides). Maybe I\'m way off here...

midnightfxgt
09-22-2004, 10:06 AM
I dont think you will notice a difference in suspension wear on a car. The only reason people with lowered cars do it, is not to scrape.

So if it aint lowered, there is no difference :)

~JOHN

wtom
09-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Oh I\'m not referring to how people with lowered cars go over bumps (at a diagonal entry)... I see some drivers in stock suspension/springs going over speed bumps straight-on but instead of going both front tires at the same time, they\'ll enter the bump such that the car is off to the side of the bump, in effect, only one side of two tires will go over the bump... for some reason I can\'t explain this in words, good enough... let me draw a diagram (attached) :)

david3
09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
I don\'t think it makes a difference. Usually if I can\'t avoid the whole thing I\'ll just go slowly over with all wheels :\\

majic
09-22-2004, 03:13 PM
wtom, you\'re an artist ;)

i usually go half and half.. i think there are so few bumps that you go through that they would not really affect the suspension.. also think of them as raised potholes.. similar idea.. you hit one or another.. it\'s almost like a bump.

also most of the time the outer part of the bump is lower and more flattened than the middle so it\'s easier to \'conquer it\'

MajesticBlueNTO
09-22-2004, 04:21 PM
the bumps at 3600 getting to you? :)

i\'d go over it in diagram #2 (one set of wheels off to the side)

wtom
09-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

the bumps at 3600 getting to you? :)

Okay you\'re one of us too aren\'t you????? Which location? ... and how did you know? :)

Xenon
09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
I just go over them nice and slow.

If you go slow enough, you\'re suspension won\'t know the difference between that and driving up onto your driveway.

kl7402001
11-28-2004, 09:21 PM
i think even if u go in side ways .. all the wheels still have to cross the bump eventually ... sideways just make one go first then the other ... i don\'t think it will effect the suspension

///M
11-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Just go over them slowly and you\'ll be fine.

I believe I have the lowest 3 here and I\'ve never had any problems with speed bumps.

fat mike
12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
My theory is the faster you go the less you feel the bump :D

bluntman
12-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by fat mike

Kinda like this? (http://fun.diadiktyo.net/stream59/video/dukesofholland.wmv)

///M
12-15-2004, 01:05 PM

That\'s what my mom used to do. :hoho

fat mike
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Kinda like this? (http://fun.diadiktyo.net/stream59/video/dukesofholland.wmv)

That has to be one of the coolest things I have seen. :p

AfterBurner
12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
The speed bumps in my workplace parking should have blinking red lights to warn of airplanes cause they are soo high. I take them two wheels at a time so that my 3 does not roll over. I swear when i mount the bump I am staring at the sky. It reminds me of the world\'s largest speedbump in Springfield (Simpsons).

I also travel in the dufferin and lake shore area by the CNE and they have the worst speed bumps at the dufferin gates. they take up the whole lane and are exactly like but larger than the strip on the edge of some highways that make a buzzing sound when you drive off the road. I swear I cry whenever I go across that because the car vibrates so violently I feel pieces are gonna fall of.:(

MZ3_GS
12-20-2004, 09:12 AM
...Very Very Very Slowly so the people behind you get pissed.:p

kl7402001
12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
yeah i hear ya man .. the duffrin gates bumps are horrible ... don\'t do this but i just drive on the opposite side to avoid it .. hehe only when no cops around ;)

car_demon
01-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I\'ve heard anal enthusiast concoct a theory of throwing off the alignment more easily when going over diagonally.
Because I\'m lowered 1.3inches; to show off and piss the other bastard SUV\'s and floating Dumbmestic Floating Barges behind me in a mall or at railway crossings, I put on my hazzards, open up my door and check the ground clearance going over one wheel at a time diagonally and very slowly. Everyone knows that we belong to the RICE generation when we do that and they will eventually respect us.:p

bubba1983
01-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by car_demon

I\'ve heard anal enthusiast concoct a theory of throwing off the alignment more easily when going over diagonally.
Because I\'m lowered 1.3inches; to show off and piss the other bastard SUV\'s and floating Dumbmestic Floating Barges behind me in a mall or at railway crossings, I put on my hazzards, open up my door and check the ground clearance going over one wheel at a time diagonally and very slowly. Everyone knows that we belong to the RICE generation when we do that and they will eventually respect us.:p

DUDE, ahahh id freakin PAY you to watch you do that in a parking lot!!! im so pissin myself over here now! hahaha

car_demon
01-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983
DUDE, ahahh id freakin PAY you to watch you do that in a parking lot!!! im so pissin myself over here now! hahaha

On the real! It is second nature now. I find that other nice rides from Lexus, Acuras, Infiniti\'s, BMW\'s, Audi\'s etc and other consciencious drivers do it too. They must think that I know the area road well enough or that I take pride in my car\'s suspension like a true automotive enthusiast. On know rough railway crossings I put on the hazzards.

In Mall Lots I\'m not ashamed to let the other fawkers know that I have a quality ride and intricate Nippon produced and foreign engineered automobile. I say Fawk-em with there MotoMaster-Goodwrench-Mopar cheap ass rides of which they can sail over any damn bump with.

My former ethnic soccer team from the West Indies would slow traffic for kilometers passing over the train tracks in Malton off of Goreway on route to a game. We all had lowered and modified Honda Accords, Acura Legends, Vigors, Maxima\'s with big rims and $#it. Imagine 10+ cars going all crooked , timid, with hazzards flashing; opening up doors with reggae/rap/r&b blaring. People could only shake their head with bewilderment or disgust. Then the opposing traffic would do it too for some reason. I love when SUV\'s see me do it and then creep over a railway crossing too. :p

TRUST ME GUYS, IT IS QUITE FASHIONABLE TO SLOW DOWN AND GO OVER BUMPS CAUTIOUSLY.
OPEN UP YOUR DOORS AND CHECK FOR CLEARANCE IS EVEN COOLER. ONLY IF YOU HAVE DROPPED SUSPENSION.
IT\'S A DAMN SIGN OF VANITY.

bubba1983
01-27-2005, 04:33 PM
very hard to tell if sarcasm or not...either way..id still pay to view this in a busy mall parking lot....hahahah

on a side note...WOOOOO *thumbs up* to the reggae tunes...sometimes...i swear im brown inside!! haha tru coolie!

Xenon
01-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Just take it easy over the bumps... no stock-height will scrape or have suspension problems if you are realistically cautious.