PDA

View Full Version : recall

billyfo
09-28-2004, 09:37 PM
just watch news (Omni 2), Mazda decided to recall the 3 airbag sensor light problem.

Xenon
09-28-2004, 10:59 PM
details?

MazdaTree
09-29-2004, 02:19 AM
why whats wrong with the light?

MazdaTree
09-29-2004, 02:21 AM
if anything mazda will send a notice in the mail, they did that with my dads tribute something was wrong with some chip as soon as we found out, my dad called mazda of canada and they said it was only the american tributes then a few months later we got a letter saying bring it in blah blah so i guess we just have to wait and check our mailboxes

civiclad
09-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Here is the offical recall notice from the NHTSA site:

Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : MAZDA Model : MAZDA3 Year : 2004
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V468000 Recall Date : SEP 23, 2004
Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 42000

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, WATER CAN GET INTO THE SENSOR AND CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT DUE TO A CRACK IN THE HOUSING OF THE AIRBAG CRASH ZONE SENSOR. THIS WILL ILLUMINATE THE AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT.

Consequence:
UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS REMEDIED, THE AIR BAG WILL NOT DEPLOY AS REQUIRED IN A FRONTAL CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF ADDITIONAL INJURY TO A SEAT OCCUPANT. WHILE THE OCCUPANT IS DRIVING AND THE WARNING LIGHT ILLUMINATES, IT CAN DISTRACT THE OCCUPANT AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE HOUSING OF THE AIR BAG CRASH ZONE SENSOR. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MAZDA AT 1-800-222-5500.

Notes:
MAZDA RECALL NO. 2304J. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION\'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)

bluntman
09-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Hmm, my dad brought his in in March and it took a whole month for the replacement parts to come in from Japan, I guess Mazda has been able to produce the replacement parts in larger quantities.

I wonder, if I haven\'t had any problems with the airbag sensor, should I still bring it in to have it replaced? Or, just hang on to the recall notice until the light turn on?

FLIPDADY
09-29-2004, 09:23 AM
They only need to be replaced if the light comes on.

bluntman
09-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Good, I guess I lucked out!

jimdragon8
09-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Here are some links in regards to this.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Mazda%20Recall

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/9884670681389870/

Xenon
09-29-2004, 08:36 PM
I\'d like to remind people that the NHTSA is an American Based organization.

are Canadian models affected?

billyfo
09-29-2004, 08:44 PM
I think it would be all North America model including Canada.

Flipspeed, how about I already fixed as I mention mine had beed reset at Avante RH on Aug?

MajesticBlueNTO
09-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

I\'d like to remind people that the NHTSA is an American Based organization.

are Canadian models affected?

what the USA does, Transport Canada isn\'t far behind (at least with recalls, TSBs are another story). They\'re all made at the same plant with the same parts so expect an announcement and/or letter from Mazda Canada shortly.

MazdaTree
09-30-2004, 02:29 AM
my buddy told me its only the first mazda3s that came out from like the first batch and he also told me they fixed it for him at the dealership

idreamofmazda
09-30-2004, 12:30 PM
As far as cars made for US and Canada, may not have all the exact same parts, despite made in the same plant. There are basic standards like running lights are standard here, but an option for some cars in the US (at least a few years ago, this may have changed). But Canadian law states that even a car that is imported, must have at least some Canadian-made parts, this may be limited to such things as switches, relays, door latches, dash-vents, or even the seats, but I am guessing the air-bag sensor is the same of all countries.

chaser
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
By far, Transport Canada hasn\'t issued any recall of Mazda 3 yet. You may keep an eye on http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp
I think as long as your Mazda 3\'s airbag sensor light doesn\'t come on, or Mazda Canada or TC hasn\'t issued a recall, no need to worry.

teambedlam
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by chaser By far, Transport Canada hasn\'t issued any recall of Mazda 3 yet. You may keep an eye on http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp I think as long as your Mazda 3\'s airbag sensor light doesn\'t come on, or Mazda Canada or TC hasn\'t issued a recall, no need to worry.

what if it came on a month after i bought the car and it went out a few weeks later. No sign of it acting up since June. Should i still get it checked :)

bluntman
09-30-2004, 06:56 PM
I don\'t think that it will go out on its own, unlike a CEL. I would still have it checked out nonetheless.

Newlook
09-30-2004, 10:51 PM
I think most of the cars are already fixed prior to final delivery?

I remember when I test drove the 3, the airbag light on that demo was on. I asked about it and the salesperson told me they all have that problem, and mine will be fixed before I go pick up the car.

chaser
10-01-2004, 12:50 AM
to me, if it only went on a couple times, i\'d leave it ... but if it has been last for a while (say more than a week), i won\'t wait for the recall and i\'ll bring it back to the dealer to have the tech guy look at it, even it doesn\'t go on now

Xenon
10-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Mine has only turned on when It\'s supposed to...

When I start the car, and when I have something lighter than 60 lbs on it.

bluntman
10-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Guys, the airbag light that TeamBedlam (and the one covered in the recall) is talking about is the one in the gauge cluster, not on the one by the cigarette lighter. If the one in the gauge cluster turns on then you have a problem, your driver\'s side airbag is malfunctioning.

The airbag light by the cigarette lighter will light up in the morning (as with all of the lights on the gauge cluster - self diagnostics) but will turn off soon afterwards. It will on again if it senses something/someone sitting on the front passenger\'s side seat that is less than a certain weight.

AfterBurner
10-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I am not so sure one should wait for the airbag light to come on before taking it to the dealer. Once the light comes on, the airbag is disabled and that is not a good thing. The key is preventative maintenance.

Xenon
10-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by AfterBurner

I am not so sure one should wait for the airbag light to come on before taking it to the dealer. Once the light comes on, the airbag is disabled and that is not a good thing. The key is preventative maintenance.

If the light isn\'t on, there\'s no problem... so obviously you\'d have to wait for the light to come on to bring it to the dealer :sarc

jlefk44
10-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Hey,

I\'m pretty new to the forum - thanks for all the info.

A friend told me that we can insist that the housing be replaced since there is an official recall in Canada. I\'m not so sure since the actual recall states \"dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace...\".

I had just taken my M3 in for its first service before the Canadian recall was issued and they would not replace the housing (I was not having any problem). I\'d rather get it replaced before any problem arises though.

Transport Canada Recall Database (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp)
recall#2004360

Dudeit
11-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I had to replace my sensor. It came on about 2 months of use. The dealer changed it
and it has not come on since. A word of warning! If this happens to you phone ahead and check that the dealer has the part. The mechanic said that if they did not have the part they would of had to give me a loner and take my car off the road until it was fixed, seeing that it is a safety issue.