PDA

View Full Version : Brake options ( Rotors & Pads)

S.F.W.
02-25-2015, 02:59 PM
I need to replace my rotors and pads in the near future. Have done some reading, but not much consensus to be found.

The car is a fun daily driver, and is going to likely see it's first bit of track time this year.

I have no interested in slotted or drilled rotors, as I don't see a major benefit.

Rotor wise I was leaning towards OEM, but have read some good things about Centric. Other ideas ?

Pads are a tough call, I really like the bite of OEM, but hate the dust. Had Hawk HPS on my old 3, and missed the initial bite of OEM. OEM pads are also expensive.
Am thinking of the Stoptech Posi Quiets..

ottoyu34
02-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Have you looked into EBC's offering?

pwdunmore
02-25-2015, 03:42 PM
I need to replace my rotors and pads in the near future. Have done some reading, but not much consensus to be found.

The car is a fun daily driver, and is going to likely see it's first bit of track time this year.

I have no interested in slotted or drilled rotors, as I don't see a major benefit.

Rotor wise I was leaning towards OEM, but have read some good things about Centric. Other ideas ?

Pads are a tough call, I really like the bite of OEM, but hate the dust. Had Hawk HPS on my old 3, and missed the initial bite of OEM. OEM pads are also expensive.

Aftermarket pads (anything) are expensive with our dollar right now... I would go with OEM pads and NAPA premium rotors.

S.F.W.
02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Aftermarket pads (anything) are expensive with our dollar right now... I would go with OEM pads and NAPA premium rotors. pwdunmore actually I think aftermarket even with the dollar is less expensive than OEM. OEM have an MSRP ~$250 for the front and ~$200 rear.

Scottobot
02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

I have those on my Speed3 and I really like them.. significantly less dust than OEM. I also switched my rotors to slotted Centrics at the same time. With the combo I noticed braking has much less initial bite and but is very progressive. I have had to make a few emergency stops and they worked well to say the least.

ptfire
02-25-2015, 06:32 PM
I changed rotors and pads last year for the first time on my 2007 MS3. Because the OEM rotors served so well I decided to stick with what has worked, the price is very reasonable too. I changed the pads to Stoptech which I purchased from CTA Motorsports. I am happy with this setup and am sure they will serve trouble free for a number of years.

mickey_g
02-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Also look into ebc redstuff they are supposed to be good pads for dd with occasional autox and track. For rotors I would go with centric blanks. Not sure if you are getting the brake fluid changed but thats something to look at as well.

Look at the packages at knsbrakes. They have a good selection and very competitive pricing.

loki
02-25-2015, 08:17 PM
I have oem rotors with stoptech pads and I'm happy

Zuluwun
02-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Really enjoying my OEM rotors + EBC yellows. Performed great while autocrossing and well mannered on the street, even in winter.

pwdunmore
02-25-2015, 09:41 PM
pwdunmore actually I think aftermarket even with the dollar is less expensive than OEM. OEM have an MSRP ~$250 for the front and ~$200 rear.

Just keep in mind dollar sucks... OEM is expensive as usual. Edge has EBC OEM spec pads that are cheap, kinda interested to see if they are good or not.

zzz3
02-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Set of ms3 front Stoptech slotted rotors and pads will set you back under $300 shipped from rock auto. I have been happy with this combo thus far.

betterthansx
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
I am in the same boat here and am not sure what to go with. I will be doing a handful of track days this year. My biggest worry is glazing the pads.

JRP quoted me $750 for Stoptech Sport Kit which is Stoptech/Centric Slotted rotors front and back, Stoptech Street Performance pads front and back and braided brake lines front and back. Does anyone have this and use it for track duty? Should I be looking at something else?

SomeGuy
02-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm on OEM rotors with Corksport pads...quite happy.

S.F.W.
02-26-2015, 06:53 PM
I am in the same boat here and am not sure what to go with. I will be doing a handful of track days this year. My biggest worry is glazing the pads.

JRP quoted me $750 for Stoptech Sport Kit which is Stoptech/Centric Slotted rotors front and back, Stoptech Street Performance pads front and back and braided brake lines front and back. Does anyone have this and use it for track duty? Should I be looking at something else?

For a handful of track days do you really want to spend the money on upgrading your lines ?

I'm on OEM rotors with Corksport pads...quite happy.

I should research the CS pads, haven't read that much about that setup.

SomeGuy
02-26-2015, 07:57 PM
I like them better than Hawk HPS pads...they've got a bit more bite, not quite OEM, but good enough to give you confidence. Along with the typical lack of fade, dust, noise and such that you want. I'd buy them again.

ottoyu34
02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
This could be good reading material to help with all your braking needs:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/brake-myths-what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-to-st-1688020147

betterthansx
02-27-2015, 09:17 PM
For a handful of track days do you really want to spend the money on upgrading your lines ?

I should research the CS pads, haven't read that much about that setup.
Why wouldn't you for how simple the install is?

S.F.W.
02-27-2015, 11:17 PM
Why wouldn't you for how simple the install is?
More fragile than OEM, harder to diagnose issues such as leaks.

rzapata
03-03-2015, 10:46 AM
I got HPS pads front and rear, front DBA slotted rotors (something with kangaroo paw), OEM rear rotors.

Worked well for me especially during sudden hard braking. Haven't locked the brakes, not even once.

HPS pads as you mentioned didn't have the initial bite, but I think I can live with that. :)

mazdaspeeding
03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
I just got Front and Rear OEM ATE pads from Rock Auto shipped to my door for $169. The $169 included the 20% US to Can conversion, shipping, taxes, customs/brokerage fees and anything else they charged. Not bad considering the stealership quoted me $375 plus taxes. When I ordered they said it would be almost 2 weeks (April 6th was my delivery day) and they arrived today...wow.

betterthansx
04-01-2015, 10:56 AM
To those who have used the EBC Yellowstuff, how would you compare them to OEM? I used EBC pads on my bike and they were amazing. The best out there in my opinion, but I do not know anyone who has used their automotive pads.

OBXspeed
07-04-2015, 03:35 PM
I just ordered this kit. Price is comparable to other options. Anyone have questions/comments/concerns or a review on either the brakes or the company?

I'll give my thoughts upon delivery and install.

S.F.W.
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
I ordered stop tech high carbon rotors and hawk 5.0 pads

Zuluwun
07-05-2015, 04:07 PM
To those who have used the EBC Yellowstuff, how would you compare them to OEM? I used EBC pads on my bike and they were amazing. The best out there in my opinion, but I do not know anyone who has used their automotive pads.
Hey, just saw this. I'm running EBC Yellows on OEM rotors for autocross and street.

Compared to OEM, I'd say they have a very slight disadvantage in initial bite but quite a bit more ultimate stopping power. Haven't yet gotten them to fade but I've also never tracked; most heat I've gotten into them was probably on a twisty back road, autocross doesn't heat them all that much.

They dust as much if not a bit more than OEM. Ran them through the winter and the cold didn't seem to affect their performance during the warm up period. They squealed a bit after install but after the break in period it became much less frequent. Overall, I'm really happy with them for what I use them for.

ach
09-21-2015, 02:56 PM
I ordered stop tech high carbon rotors and hawk 5.0 pads

hey S.F.W., I'm in the market for rotors and pads for my MZ3 and came across this thread. How do you find the stop tech / hawk 5.0 combo on your MS3? And where'd purchase the parts from? Thanks for your help, Ami!

S.F.W.
09-21-2015, 08:21 PM
hey @S.F.W. (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/member.php?u=2131), I'm in the market for rotors and pads for my MZ3 and came across this thread. How do you find the stop tech / hawk 5.0 combo on your MS3? And where'd purchase the parts from? Thanks for your help, Ami!

I am happy with the combo, the quick stop is close to OEM, not quite as responsive, but close. Brake fade is better, and there is also less brake dust. There is some pad squeal because they are partial ceramic, but it is not loud, and not consistent.

ach
09-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I am happy with the combo, the quick stop is close to OEM, not quite as responsive, but close. Brake fade is better, and there is also less brake dust. There is some pad squeal because they are partial ceramic, but it is not loud, and not consistent.

Thanks S.F.W.! Where did you get your parts from?

S.F.W.
09-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks S.F.W.! Where did you get your parts from?
I ordered from KNS brakes.