PDA

View Full Version : Q: insurance / used car

majic
10-09-2004, 03:09 PM
alright.. i was going to check with insurance companies but of course they are an 8-5 operation so here it goes.

my buddy got the 3 and i\'m getting mine soon.. he asked if i knew how to drive stick.. i said.. yeah but not that great. he said that he had a 1987 \'lude just sitting there waiting to be disposed of. it runs fine with minor probs here and there..

he suggested that i just take it and i pay him whatever the junk yard gives me..

ownership would be under him.. insurance would be under me.. plates would be his (they are good till dec) so effectively i would be \'borrowing\' his car and then taking to the junk yard once i\'m done.

i thought of this after i spoke with him and now a few questions come to mind.

can i get a temproray insurance (for like 2 weeks or up to a month) till i learn how to drive stick? i would only really need liability insurance b/c car is junk anyway..

would i be even able to take it to the scrap yard??? b/c it\'s in his name!!

would i be able to drive using his plates??

in essence i do not see anything wrong with \'borrowing\' his car as long as i have insurance but i probably wouldn\'t be able to take it and scrap it. any thoughts? any other questions or tidbits of info i need to be aware of? thanks!

billyfo
10-09-2004, 04:38 PM
I don\'t think it is possible cause you are not the owner of the car, so policy can\'t under your name.

majic
10-09-2004, 04:50 PM
so what would be the best way to do this then? get the car (ownership) AND the policy (insurance) in my name? that means plates as well?

billyfo
10-09-2004, 05:05 PM
then you\'ll have to pay taxes for transfer ownership, why would you do that. it is wasting your $.

the best way, don\'t do anything, either tell your friend to borrow you the car for a day or two, or just get rid of the old one and learn to drive stick w/ your own car.

majic
10-09-2004, 05:13 PM
well that\'s the whole problem.. it is still his but it is NOT insured.. i don\'t want to go through the taxes and all stupid stuff.. although he would sell it to me for a $0.01 so that would be ridiculous to do taxes on it :p

what i want to do is pretty much borrow it for 2 weeks (effectively) but i will require insurance to drive it.. at least liability.. so i want to know what\'s the best way to go about it... my driving record is better than his so i don\'t want to pay for his insurance.. i don\'t want to cause a stirrup with the police or insurance companies for a junk car that i will ditch anyway..

ok.. lemme put it this way..

what is the best (LOWEST) cost solution to do this so that i comply with laws/by-laws and insurance?

MajesticBlueNTO
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by majic

well that\'s the whole problem.. it is still his but it is NOT insured.. i don\'t want to go through the taxes and all stupid stuff.. although he would sell it to me for a $0.01 so that would be ridiculous to do taxes on it :p

when you transfer ownership, you have to pay taxes on either the wholesale value in the UVIP or the selling price of the car, whichever is higher. not a big deal if the wholesale value were low enough to justify registering it. (either your or your friend will pony up the $20 for the UVIP).

and, you\'d have to get a Safety Standards Certificate stating that the vehicle is fit to drive.

ALSO, you\'d have to get it Drive Cleaned before registering it.

suppose the Safety Cert can be had from a crooked mechanic for $100, Drive Clean is $30, suppose taxes amount to $50....you\'re looking at almost $200 for 2 weeks time, not worth it.

IF the car is already registered as fit, you can transfer it in your name and get temporary plates ($15) which entitles you to drive the car for 6 days (within that time they expect you to Cert and Drive Clean it)...you still have to pay the taxes on the wholesale value, but you can drive the shit out of it for those 6 days....BUT insurance....i\'m not sure how insurance works, but i doubt you can insure the car for 2 weeks.

Originally posted by majic

what i want to do is pretty much borrow it for 2 weeks (effectively) but i will require insurance to drive it.. at least liability.. so i want to know what\'s the best way to go about it... my driving record is better than his so i don\'t want to pay for his insurance.. i don\'t want to cause a stirrup with the police or insurance companies for a junk car that i will ditch anyway..

ok.. lemme put it this way..

what is the best (LOWEST) cost solution to do this so that i comply with laws/by-laws and insurance?

what you\'re better off doing is towing the car to a parking lot and practising at night when there are no other cars there.

besides, if you already know how to drive a manual, you\'re better off learning in your own car anyway as each car has their own quirks with driving it smoothly.

as a last resort, you can always enrole in the Shifters Manual Shift Driving School (http://www.shifters.ca/)

cheers

dredd2099
10-09-2004, 08:39 PM
course u can always drive it as-is
:p
i dont really reccommend it tho

bluntman
10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
MajesticBlueN, do you work in the MTO too? :D

majic
10-09-2004, 08:56 PM
thx MajesticBlueN.. i\'m going to find out about the insurance.. ideally i would just borrow the car and would like for MY insurance to cover me.. i mean i\'ll just be driving around the block for the sake of learning

so i guess bluntman u got nothing to add :p he covered it all :)

Melenium
10-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,
as far as I know, in order to drive a car, it has to be insured for drivers that live at the address that the car is registered to. So if its registerd to 123 Bayview, all people at 123 Bayview have to be on the policy. From my understanding though, anyone else can drive the car as an \"occassional driver\" or something similar without being on the policy. This is why its supposedly okay to drive a buddies car home if he got wasted and you didn\'t even though you\'re not on the policy (assuming you don\'t share a place). I\'m not 100% sure of this, so don\'t quote me on it, but give your insurance broker a call and ask if its ok for your \"out of town cousin\" to use your parents car for a few days and see their reaction?

If this is the case, then the owner of the Prelude can get it insured in his name for 2 months and you might be able to drive it.

Another option is you can do a few days of \"testdriving\".. go with a friend who can drive stick to a few dealerships that let you take the car out for a demo without the salesmen in the car. Take it to a parking lot and practice. :D Maybe look into if GM still has their 24 hr test drive, and take a few models in MT out for a \"test drive\" ;)

If you want to be a little more legit, I heard that Rent-a-Wreck has some MT cars that you can get for a few days at somewhat reasonable rates.

Have fun :D