PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - F$&*&@!!!

majic
10-12-2004, 07:22 PM
ok.. insurance shopping time..

who do u use?
which ins company is best for < 25yo males?
is one speeding ticket ok? is a speeding ticket that\'s BEING FOUGHT IN COURT count as a ticket? apparently it doeas .. so once again what happened to innocent till proven guilty as i\'m sure WTOM can sympathize with?

anwyay.. just some feedback would be nice..

seems like about 2 mos ago i could get quotes in the range of 1900-2100 and now i can barely get one for 2200.. thanks mcguinty for LOWERING the rates.. liberals suck.. when\'s the election?

sorry just got off the phone with a few ins co\'s and the reps don\'t even speak english which makes things so frustrating and i needed to vent.. :hoho

DriverEd
10-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I\'m with Meloche Monnex. They have a UofT alumni discount.

I\'m 33 and my wife\'s 30. We have two cars and our home all insured by Meloche (for further discounts). Mazda is under wife\'s name - $1150/yr. Saab is under my name - $1350/yr.

One speeding ticket should be ok (provided there were no points). I had one ticket last year (10km over limit) and it didn\'t affect my insurance this year.

AfterBurner
10-12-2004, 09:44 PM
I\'m also shopping for insurance after ordering my new M3. I am currently with Meloche Monnex also under my dad but since the car is under my name I have to insure it separately. I checked with the Meloche Monnex website and with my ryerson alumni discount (discount??) and the fact that I am currently insured with them they quote me $5400 a year. I am 23 years, male, with no incidents on my record whatsoever and that is one of the highest quotes I have gotten. I have checked with kanetix.com and the lowest they have quoted is $4100. I then went to carinsurance.ca and they quote me $2675. I am going to have to call them all and see. If only I can get home from work before 8pm...

MajesticBlueNTO
10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by majic

who do u use?
is one speeding ticket ok? is a speeding ticket that\'s BEING FOUGHT IN COURT count as a ticket? apparently it doeas .. so once again what happened to innocent till proven guilty as i\'m sure WTOM can sympathize with?

seems like about 2 mos ago i could get quotes in the range of 1900-2100 and now i can barely get one for 2200.. thanks mcguinty for LOWERING the rates.. liberals suck.. when\'s the election?

sorry just got off the phone with a few ins co\'s and the reps don\'t even speak english which makes things so frustrating and i needed to vent.. :hoho

TD Meloche Monnex - use the UofT alumni group discount

TDMM will usually allow you 2 minor conviction tickets (less than 6 demerit points on each ticket warrant a minor conviction, i think).

a speeding ticket that\'s still in the court process (i.e. you HAVEN\'T been found guilty/convicted of it YET) does NOT appear on your driving record. if you are convicted of the infraction, it will appear on your record for 2 years from the date of CONVICTION and not the offence (date on the ticket).

however, most insurance companies won\'t do a abstract check on every driver...it\'s random ....but, if you do have a ticket on your record (i.e. been convicted of the infraction), you have to disclose that to the insurance company or else you could be dropped from insurance for fraud (if they do a check) and then the only recourse is facility insurance.

majic
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

who do u use?

TD Meloche Monnex - use the UofT alumni group discount

TDMM will usually allow you 2 minor conviction tickets (less than 6 demerit points on each ticket warrant a minor conviction, i think).

a speeding ticket that\'s still in the court process (i.e. you HAVEN\'T been found guilty/convicted of it YET) does NOT appear on your driving record. if you are convicted of the infraction, it will appear on your record for 2 years from the date of CONVICTION and not the offence (date on the ticket).

however, most insurance companies won\'t do a abstract check on every driver...it\'s random ....but, if you do have a ticket on your record (i.e. been convicted of the infraction), you have to disclose that to the insurance company or else you could be dropped from insurance for fraud (if they do a check) and then the only recourse is facility insurance.

i\'ve tried TDMM.. their quote was nothing spectacular - it was just above 2K 2100 maybe.. i don\'t recall.. it\'s in a spreadsheet.. so nothing better than the other quotes

so today i called rbcinsurance and todl them i had no tickets .. at the end the guy said.. oooh it shows here 1 ticket.. i\'m like WTF?? i haven\'t been to court (ticket happened on feb 1 and court date is dec 16) so was that bad of me not disclosing it? it\'s like a DOUBLE whammy if i DO get found guilty.. then from feb till dec the insurance co would see me as an offender and then for another 3 yrs from conviction date??? ugh

anwyay.. thank you all for input..

o i\'ve tried rbcinsurance (supposedly most forgiving for young males)
o pcfianncial (pissed me off b/c they had to do a \'custom quote\' through snail mail b/c i\'m < 25 WTF??? a few montsh back i did it online no prob.. ugh
o TDMM - they were ok
o scottish and york.. so far best quote b/c my parents are on the policy as well so multiline and multi vehicle
o i will try bellair direct as my buddy suggested..

when i tried kinnetx and autoinsurance hotline i\'ve always gotten roughly 150% of other quotes.. ie. 3K+!!! maybe i\'ll give it a shot again.. any other ins co\'s?

MajesticBlueNTO
10-12-2004, 11:24 PM
majic,

i was with rbc insurance from since they brokered their insurance out to Trader\'s General ... i insured my 2001 maxima with them since i got it in 2001 (when i was 24)...i paid $180/month until i turned 25 and then it went down to $120/month....then i moved to thornhill from scarlem and it went down to 114/month....BUT

when i turned 26, the bastards/scam artists at rbc insurance decided to raise my premium to 250/month ...saying how they suffered a high number of fradulent claims and the raise in premiums were standard for the industry :sarc my sister\'s premium went from 225/month on a base 96 civic to over 400/month ...and we both did not make any claims and didn\'t have any tickets.

i called around and TDMM was the best choice as others i know who use them have been happy with them. i ended up paying 140/month on the maxima with TDMM...when i called rbc insurance, i told them that i\'ve been with them since their inception and that this was how they treated a \"loyal\" customer....the guy told me that the best thing i could do was shop around....so i did and then, when i called to cancel the policy, the person asked me how much i got it for and he sounded surprised at the rate i was getting for the EXACT same coverage.

that\'s my experience with rbc....YMMV

majic
10-13-2004, 06:31 AM
wow.. damn scammers..

recoup for the losses - this is their sole pupose of existence.. to pay for other ppl\'s losses.. and if they have a problem with fraud, maybe they should alocate their BILLIONS in surplus into a fight with fraud?!?!?!??

ugh.. i guess u\'r pretty much screwed in whatever u do.. so just pick one co. that you feel screws you less vigorously.. maybe the se some lube? :D

also.. it didn\'t occur to me that this \'no fault insurance\' which seems to be on every ins co\'s menu, is a further blow to the system. let me get this straight, soeone hits you and you pay for it? is this the standard insurance or is this something you can opt into say if you wnat a lower premium? ie. reg insurance 2000/yr no fault insurance 800/yr (just a total shot in the dark here..) thanks!

civiclad
10-13-2004, 08:14 AM
I switched to pcinsurance beginning of October and i\'m paying $151 per month. Plus I saved another 10% because my home is also insured with pcinsurance. (I don\'t have any tickets but I was involved in an accident last January, and I was deemed NOT at fault)

Previously, I was with TD insurance and was paying $328 per month (it sure is amazing how rates differ from company-to-company)

jimdragon8
10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Majic,

I use TD now, but if you graduated from Senenca College you can use Johnson Insurance. With PC, I used my work postal code (Etobicoke) and then used my Scarborough address, and it was $2000 more because I live Scarborough :sarc I guess there is too much risk in Scarborough.

I also found out you know a friend of mine Cary.

Good luck with the search

bluntman
10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
I\'m switching to CAA once my current policy is finished. I could switch now, but I will be saving so much more if I start in February.

Melenium
10-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Has anyone found out if getting a Boomerang tracking device has any impact on the insurance rate for the 3? If it almost brakes even with the monthly charges (I think about $10) it may be worth getting one.

miggiddy
10-16-2004, 09:57 AM
I\'m with PC Financial. I just have my car insured for $1700/year

Black3
10-18-2004, 11:16 PM

wow.. damn scammers..

recoup for the losses - this is their sole pupose of existence.. to pay for other ppl\'s losses.. and if they have a problem with fraud, maybe they should alocate their BILLIONS in surplus into a fight with fraud?!?!?!??

ugh.. i guess u\'r pretty much screwed in whatever u do.. so just pick one co. that you feel screws you less vigorously.. maybe the se some lube? :D

also.. it didn\'t occur to me that this \'no fault insurance\' which seems to be on every ins co\'s menu, is a further blow to the system. let me get this straight, soeone hits you and you pay for it? is this the standard insurance or is this something you can opt into say if you wnat a lower premium? ie. reg insurance 2000/yr no fault insurance 800/yr (just a total shot in the dark here..) thanks!

fat chance of this happening,

also gov\'t wants to introduce the option of opting out of accident benfits -- ontario has the most generous accident benefit package in canada.
a type a or 1 whiplash claim will generate $5000 of paid expenses by your auto insurance company on your behalf.
for this reason premiums increase - too many fraud paralegals, towing, body shops, and rehab centres. They are not all frauds, but a handful can be found.

S.F.W.
10-19-2004, 12:00 AM
I got my mazda3 about 6 weeks ago, I was 24 at the time but am 25 now. I have almost no driving history as I only got my G2 in June.
The least expensive company I found was The Personal. $3000 a year. Most other companies were around $3500-$4000 a year. I did get a corporate discount for being an IBM employee..

wtom
10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Presently with York Fire & Casualty (policy under my dad\'s name)

On THEIR files, they have me listed as follows;

- At Fault July 2001, claims to repair car
- At Fault Jan 2003, claims to repair car and claims for personal injuries
- now Oct 2004, written off Mazda3 and will have some minor claims for personal injuries
- Father\'s accident, written off \'04 Honda Accord, some minor claims for personal injuries

I asked my broker to help me out, she calls me back 24 hrs later;

- No other companies will even bother to quote me
- York Fire ... *IF* they renew the policy with me as driver in Jan05 (which is highly unlikely per my broker in her 20+ yrs in the business) ... $6,XXX at LEAST (per year)

I immediately started calling other Insurance Co\'s... first one was TD Monnex per you guys as well as a close personal friend. Dude checked out my driver\'s license number on the system;

- NO Fault July 2001,
- NO Fault Jan 2003,

I told him honestly that I had the Oct 2004 accident, got ticketed.

He told me my premiums, my policy, my car, would be $2,056 ($171.33/month). I\'m happy to the point I don\'t even want to bother calling other ins. co\'s. haha :D

Saphress
10-20-2004, 02:12 AM
oooooook.... I guess I should shell out my records here... :P

aight....

Was under my parents under my parents car since I was 16.... was a lil cocky bitch driver driving stick.... (laugh) not a good thing in which I do regret... cuz I learned to have a heavy foot. But anyway... :P THE PERSONAL sucks butt crack because they wanted to throw me off of insurance after my first accident because I claimed minor injuries that needed physiotherapy for almost a year .... They\'ve been bitches from the beginning... and I swore off Personal. They\'re dumb. DUMB DUMB DUMB.... when I bought my car I left for TD Meloche Monnex ... and they wouldn\'t take my record off of my father\'s record... why? I\'m not really sure considering I transfered my driving record to TD ....

Anyway... :P Back to the story.... TD\'s been good to me... (I\'m staff)...

For a 23 year old gal... I\'ve had 2 accidents back in \'99 (one at fault and one no fault)...

And 3 minor speeding tickets. As for my insurance rates.... $2400 ... not bad.... but I can\'t wait till next year when all that bad crap trouble I did when I was younger is off my record :P Wonder how much it will be next year? :P

bubba1983
10-20-2004, 03:10 AM
ffss, i wish i had cheap insurance...right now i\'m paying thru my ass due to backlog of their processing time....2.5 months of time i owe them...so what does this mean...$400 a month for insurance...YES THATS RIGHT...$400..A MONTH...for the first year....ffsss