PDA

View Full Version : asymetric vs. directional

majic
10-16-2004, 09:42 PM
in my ever-long quest for winter tires.. i came across this.. learned something new :D :D :D

http://www.canadiandriver.com/discuss/messages/2479/19620.html

in case the article gets taken down or something - it is a forum so it shouldn\'t..

Directional and Asymmetric are two different animals. Directional are only rotated front to back. So, on a staggered setup you are not able to rotate because the tires are different sizes. However, Asymmetric tires can be rotated to any position on the car. Therefore, on a staggered setup they can be rotated left to right. Now this generally wont help much as the rotation is generally to move the tires from the drive axle, where you experience more wear to the free rolling axle. This is a method used to extend the life of your tires. This is why we suggest going with the same wheels front and rear. You can dramatically extend the life of your winter tires.

Here is an Asymmetric tire...you will notice the outside edge has a different design than the inside. This means the outside will always be the outside no matter what position the tire is on the car.

Here is a directional tire. You can see the tread is designed to move in one direction only. The tread generally forms a V shape. This means this tire can only be put on one side of the car and rotated front to rear. (Unless dismounted).

sorry.. nowhere to serve pix :(

dredd2099
10-17-2004, 12:40 PM
for a p whore
u can be of help sumtimes too sir
good info and reading for those who dont know btw
:)

majic
10-17-2004, 12:45 PM
why thank you.. but it does take one to know one... :D

i figured it would be important for those who want to rotate tires themselves.. i didn\'t know that there would be an issue in rotating.. anwyay.. hope it helps others..