PDA

View Full Version : When to put on the winters??

rbart4506
10-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Hey guys...

This will be my first year of driving with winter tires...Pretty odd cosidering I\'ve been driving for 18 years *laugh*....Guess I\'ve been too cheap in the past...

I\'ve heard many good things about going with winter tires for the snow, and saving the alloy rims is a plus!!

Now my question....When to put the tires on?? I\'v worked out a deal for a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on 15\" steelies, I have the GS sedan, and I\'m curious about how early is too early to mount the tires. I don\'t want to put unneccessary wear on the tires, but at the same time I don\'t want to be caught in the first snow fall without them...

I\'ll be going to the shop next week to make sure the rims they got fit the car right and then I guess at that point I could mount the new tires or wait....

Thanks,
Rich

swales
10-20-2004, 08:06 AM
It\'s really a tough call and it comes down to taking a gamble. Since we don\'t get snow at the same time every year there\'s no definite answer. I\'m aiming at putting my winters on after Halloween so probably sometime during the first two weeks of Nov or maybe later if it doesn\'t get cold by then...in the end it\'s a waiting game.

majic
10-20-2004, 08:57 AM
it really depends as swales said..

i would (will probably) do it once the temps reach near 0C.. ie. if in the morning it\'s like +2C i might put them on..

rememeber winter tires work much better in the lower temps and will wear out MUCH quicker in higher temps (i\'m talking a bit extreme here - summer driving on winters but still higher temps = less life)

YMMV

bluntman
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
If you have the stock all seasons on you can get away with some light accumulation. Personally, I would definitely start thinking of changing over as soon as I see any overnight temperature hovering around the freezing point. It sure sucks having to think of this all over again, my RAV4 had permanent all wheel drive and I have some BFG All-Terrain KOs.

rbart4506
10-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by bluntman

If you have the stock all seasons on you can get away with some light accumulation. Personally, I would definitely start thinking of changing over as soon as I see any overnight temperature hovering around the freezing point. It sure sucks having to think of this all over again, my RAV4 had permanent all wheel drive and I have some BFG All-Terrain KOs.

The stock 15\" Toyos are what is getting me thinking about switching sooner rather then later...The tires are ok in the dry, but I find they lack in the wet...So I can only imagine what they would be like in a bit of snow...

I\'m actually planning on dumping the stock tires in the spring and getting a better set of all-season tires...

Rich

RedRaptor
10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Good question here. This is my first time with winter tires so I think there are two factors to look at. 1)Snow on the ground 2)Outside temperature?

The snow part is trivial, once there is snow on the ground on comes the winter tires. But does the outside temperature play a role? Let\'s say its -10C outside but there is no snow, can our Goodyear RSAs hold up in that kind of temparture. Or does temperature not play a role at all in terms of tires?

Dr Butcher
10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I\'m going to put a deposit down next week on a set of Kumho KW17\'s and make the switch in the first week of November. I\'m coming from driving a 4x4 pickup, so in the past I\'d never felt the need to move past my all seasons.

I had the stock Toyos on for all of 500 km\'s before deciding I needed to get rid of them. They\'ll be going in the Buy and Sell as soon as I mount the winters on my stock 15\" alloys.

FLIPDADY
10-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I would wait for the first serious snow fall before switching. I always see people switching over as soon as it gets cold. Remember snow tires tend to wear out faster than all season tires. That\'s just my opinion though.

Dr Butcher
10-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

I would wait for the first serious snow fall before switching. I always see people switching over as soon as it gets cold. Remember snow tires tend to wear out faster than all season tires. That\'s just my opinion though.

If I was still using the all seasons I\'d agree with you there. Im driving a dedicated summer tire so I can\'t wait for the snow to fall. It could be a test of my driving abilities though, it\'d be better than a thrill ride to boot! :D

Xenon
10-20-2004, 07:14 PM
My brother told me to use this rule of thumb:

First Major Snow fall, or after the first 3 weeks of light snow.

majic
10-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Xenon

once again.. this MIGHT be true for all seasons.. but for summer tires i wou;dn\'t wait that long.. also.. why not put them on a bit earlier and be safe and prepared?

Xenon
10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by majic

once again.. this MIGHT be true for all seasons.. but for summer tires i wou;dn\'t wait that long.. also.. why not put them on a bit earlier and be safe and prepared?

Mostly because we have All-Seasons instead of performance tires on our car... and as previously mentioned, snow tires wear a lot quicker, most snow tires have a harsher ride too.

majic
10-20-2004, 08:48 PM
yes .. but at the same time the RS-a\'s (frm ppl\'s opinions) suck monkey balls in snow.. oh well your laziness over your safety :sarc bah..

besides.. you sacrifice one for the other (grip for ride quality for tread wear etc)

also \"snows wear a LOT quicker\" i should correct my first post.. yes.. the ice/snow tires will.. but tires such as HAKKAs or the W300s are much better on wear, in fact any H or V tire will last longer than a T or a Q PURE SNOW tire that is made of a softer compound.. then again it all depends on your driving habits.. once again.. YMWV

MajesticBlueNTO
10-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Mostly because we have All-Seasons instead of performance tires on our car... and as previously mentioned, snow tires wear a lot quicker, most snow tires have a harsher ride too.

it would be the other way around...the ride will be softer due to the lower speed rating (softer sidewall), greater height of the sidewall compared to stock (102.5mm for stock 205/50/17 vs. 112.75mm for 205/55/16), and softer tread compound at above freezing ambient temps.

if you do drive winter tires in +10C weather, the ride will be squirmy (depending on the size of the treadblocks) and the handling characteristics of the car won\'t be as good (bigger, softer sidewall = more vague steering response and more tire roll).

snow tires will wear quicker only in extremely warm ambient temps, and it depends on the tire compound. the nokian hakka1 i had on my maxima is 3 winters old and still look like new... i drove on them from late october/early november to april/may ....and i used to drive HARD with a ton of driving on the 407 (which is a known tire eater due to the concrete surface within the GTA).

bridgestone blizzaks that are pure snow tires are known to wear FAST due to their extremely soft compound and get worse as they wear ...expect about 2 seasons from them

as for switching over...with pure summer tires, i\'ll be monitoring the forecasts and will do the changeover when the temps hit below -2C in the night consistently. you don\'t want to be caught in a snow storm with summer only tires. summer tires will handle rain in 1C to 5C weather but, if that stuff freezes over, you\'re better off parking your car for the night.

SL3VIN
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
IMO mid November would be the ideal time to put on ur winter slicks, also doing it a bit early will help avoid those long lineups for installation if u go to places like Costco, or Canadian Tire to get the change.

x_o_k_x
10-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I put them on in the winter..:chuckle
BTW thread from the dead..

cereal83
10-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow, back from the dead is right. Just a few days shy of 4 years old

b.rabbit
10-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm planning on slappin' on my winters towards the end of this month just to beat the rush and plan to be prepared earlier rather than later. I'll take the chance on wear and tear.

Noisy Crow
10-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm putting mine on near the end of the month. Hopefully before I have to clean salt off of my Enkeis.

Oh... and kudos to the OP for finding and adding to this thread rather than starting a new one!

Wild Weasel
10-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh... and kudos to the OP for finding and adding to this thread rather than starting a new one!

I'd agree if they were asking a question... but they answered a post from 2004. That's kinda funny. :chuckle

So when does the annual argument on whether winter tires are needed start? :bana

Fezuki
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM
I normally put the winter tires on mid to end of November.

Cardinal Fang
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
I start putting on the winters when the temperatures outside start to average lower than 7 degrees C. The harder compounds of the all season loose their effective grip at around 7 degrees C. The softer compounds of winter tires take over at this point.

All this generally translates into mid to late November.

kevcol74
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm with Cardinal on this, I watch the outdoor temp. Also, when I do put them on, my driving habits change too. Knowing we are in Southern Ontario, and can get very little snow, I expect to be driving on pavement alot. Knowing snows wear quicker, I change my driving to a more conservative style... slower cornering, try not to break the tires free (spinning), etc.... It gives the best of both worlds, you are prepared for the snow when it falls, and you won't wear your snows so quickly that you only get 2 seasons out of them.

Mid-late November for me as well, and I change them in my driveway, no wait in line for me! lol (buy a torque wrench, then you can do it yourself too! lol)

SonicBoy
10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd agree if they were asking a question... but they answered a post from 2004. That's kinda funny. :chuckle

So when does the annual argument on whether winter tires are needed start? :bana

Well, you have to give them credit for resurecting an old thread that comes out annually rather than just asking the question over again.

Might have been resurected to up a post count but perhaps someone reading this again can benefit.

kevcol74
10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, you have to give them credit for resurecting an old thread that comes out annually rather than just asking the question over again.

Might have been resurected to up a post count but perhaps someone reading this again can benefit.

Don't forget the new people that just bought their 3s this year, as I've found the "Search" function is not flawless. Patience with the newbies!! (me included!) :chuckle

Iceman_F1
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Don't forget the new people that just bought their 3s this year, as I've found the "Search" function is not flawless. Patience with the newbies!! (me included!) :chuckle

+1 I just got mine in May and never had snow tires with my other cars. However driving one with the all-season RSA's was crap even in light snow...so got snow tires.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Mid to late November here also.

Slade
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I ended up putting/trying to put on mine on...I blew my front passenger summer tire getting off the 403 tonight, rather than put a new tire on (I need 4 new ones, waiting till spring)..I ended up getting the 2 fronts changed, but both rears are STUCK to the hub..I tried kicking them to get them off but they didnt budge..I didnt get under to kick yet though as it was 11pm and I dont wanna wake my neighbours up :blush ...Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them off? I found this on google..

"There's a trick to freeing a stuck-on wheel that almost never fails. You already have the lugs removed, but now reinstall them leaving about 5 turns before they start to get snug. Now lower the car to the ground, get in and start it up. Drive back and forth 4 or 5 feet a few times. Now jack the car up and test the wheel. It should be nice and loose now, ready for you to replace with your spare so you can move on down the road."

I sorta tried this, minus leaving the lugs 5 turns loose.. Any other suggestions?

b
10-17-2008, 12:04 AM
When I had to call CAA they used a 2x4 to smack the rim off from the inside. He said a lot get stuck ;)

3 or 4 smacks and it came off. Didn't damage my rim...

MAZDA Kitten
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm slapping mine on today
I have dedicated summer tires and I heard the word 'frost' and 'light snow' for this coming week.
Plus my Hankook W300's Ice Bears have just some tread left so its a good time to use it up for the next month or so and pick up new winter tires

Slade
10-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Plus my Hankook W300's Ice Bears have just some tread left so its a good time to use it up for the next month or so and pick up new winter tires

I have the same ones and love them :)..

I managed to get the back 2 on this morning...I jacked the car and used my size 12 show from underneath the car and kicked the snot of out tire until it broke off. So I think I may officially be the first one to have all winters on this year. And I remembered not to use the security nut on the rims based on advice from last year :)

MAZDA Kitten
10-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Okay... so I was told the same thing at Mazda that they dont recommend using the security nut or whatever you call it. Why not?

mazdathree
10-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Okay... so I was told the same thing at Mazda that they dont recommend using the security nut or whatever you call it. Why not?

+1

I have heard about that before and would be interested in knowing the reason for not using the wheel locks on winter rims

EvilEric
10-19-2008, 12:15 PM
+1

I have heard about that before and would be interested in knowing the reason for not using the wheel locks on winter rims

Probably something to do with rust, corrosion from salt and seizing? I heard people suggest to put anti seize.

Slade
10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
If snow/water gets in the channel, and freezes and your trying to change a flat, your sol :)

MAZDA Kitten
10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
just pee on it

b
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM
just pee on it

Best post I've read on here in a while :)

Noisy Crow
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
just pee on it

That might work okay for us guys.....

El Cheapo
10-22-2008, 02:12 AM
The rule of thumb is to put on snows when the outside temp averages below 7C.

Flagrum_3
10-22-2008, 03:18 AM
The rule of thumb is to put on snows when the outside temp averages below 7C.

...and drink lots of water in case you have to pee on those nuts :chuckle

_3

Wild Weasel
10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
That might work okay for us guys.....

I'm sure it would work for the ladies too. It just might be more awkward. :chuckle

Slade
10-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I think if I saw a woman squatting over her tire on the 401, that she would have more problems than just a flat tire :blush

El Cheapo
10-24-2008, 12:42 AM
I think if I saw a woman squatting over her tire on the 401, that she would have more problems than just a flat tire :blush

Yeah, and she'd likely be willing to go home with you too. :chuckle

Ogata
10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Can you store winters in your garage in the summer? Rule of thumb is <= 15 degrees correct? Sooo that would rule it out and basement is the correct way to store winters?

bunchi
10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I store mine in the basement but they are in the garage now, just waiting for that time that they're going to be installed to the car. but storing it above 15 degrees... should be ok.. i don't think tire resellers have a climate controlled warehouse to store their tires :chuckle anyone care to shed a light on storing winter tires in warm environments?

kevcol74
10-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I store my winter tires in the cold cellar... merely due to space! lol When I get a nice big shed, I'll be storing them up in the garage on a shelf I built. Like you said, its not like tire shops keep them stored in a climate controlled environment! Just because they work better in the cold, doesn't mean they need to be stored in the same conditions. Do you keep your summer tires above 7C all winter? Not likely... mine will be down in that cold cellar again! lol

aris
10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I had to put mine on now..since i blow a tire on my summers:flaming

mazdaskit
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
when it snows:chuckle

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I had to put mine on now..since i blow a tire on my summers:flaming

Did you get the Falken winter tires??? :chuckle:pop

aris
10-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Did you get the Falken winter tires??? :chuckle:pop

hahaha..never buying falkens again..and my snow tires are goodyear nordics

Ex-Rolla
10-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I already put mine on. I was at Simply Tire on Friday. Allen asked if i wanted them installed and i figured might as well.

Winter tires suck!!!!

Dave_The_BMXER
10-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I keep my winters in my garage...

I picked up my winters yesterday and will put then on once the temp is below 7 daily. Probably early November by the looks of it...

bman13
10-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't want to get stuck waiting in the huge line of people all wanting to put their wheels on at the same time. I'm thinking last week of Oct.

pacmann33
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I'll wait as long as possible, even in Barrie I don't often put them on much before the end of November.

I love having steelies, never have to pay a shop to swap your tires twice a year, or bother with making apointments to have them swapped after the first snow as it is always mayhem at dealers just after the first snowfall LOL.

Noisy Crow
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I love having steelies, never have to pay a shop to swap your tires twice a year, or bother with making apointments to have them swapped after the first snow as it is always mayhem at dealers just after the first snowfall LOL.

Plus, everytime you R&R the tires you risk damaging both the tires and rims.

pacmann33
10-12-2009, 08:45 AM
+1...another reason why steelies are defly the way to go! gotta keep that bead in good shape, and less wear on your nice alloys.